My wife is coming around.

This is a discussion on My wife is coming around. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living in a small town not a whole lot happens, then over the past couple of months, we have been realizing that the news is ...

Living in a small town not a whole lot happens, then over the past couple of months, we have been realizing that the news is local and not out of state like normal. More things are starting to get closer to home.

Now when we go out for any reason, the first thing my wife asks is, not do you have your phone, but do you have your gun. Times are changing and I can't wait for her want her own gun, even though being retired we're always together now, be nice to have back up.

I was so proud when we went out to eat dinner and she picked the booth in the back with a clear line of sight. After 20 years I think I'll keep her.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Good for you.
    Some will never feel like they need to protect
    them selves. Sad.................
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Great! I hope she comes around the rest of the way for you.

My wife has carried for almost as long as I have. As we like to say, we are each others back up.

We never have to ask the other one if they have their gun because we are never without them unless we are at a school function. Then the drill is, if anything goes down, she gets the kids out of there while I try to either help with the evac or, buy them time to bug out.

We go to the range as a family and shoot together. My 15 year old son is a great shot with his rifle and a pretty good handgun shot. My daughter who is 11 years old is scary accurate with a 9mm handgun and my 10 year old son is a good shot too. The twins are just 4 years old so they really haven't gotten much trigger time yet, but they will.

Drop a few hints for her like saying it would be comforting to know you had someone else with you who was armed or that it would be nice not to have to worry about her when you are not right there with her. I think she will figure it out on her own, and that is the key to someone wanting to protect their own life. They have to want to themselves. Someone else telling them that they should won't usually do it for some reason.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Good for you.
    Some will never feel like they need to protect
    them selves. Sad.................

My girlfriend, sadly, appears to belong to that group.
    She has had situations that scared her, like when she was working at an "alternative" school, and some miscreants of the gold-toothed variety gave her some attitude and signaled possible danger. (This was a school where arrests of students by PBSO deputies were common.)

Once or twice, she called me from the drive home almost hysterical, and telling me that she now wanted to get a gun to have for defence (and a CCW license). But the feeling passed. She soon went back to feeling that it's paranoid to be prepared even if all you have to do is have a gun, and the knowhow and will to use it to save your life. Too much of a burden? Not to me, but I guess to some.

Don't worry, I'm working on gradually getting her to see right. Give us time.

I wonder if there are any couples where the situation is reversed--where the wife carries and the husband is agin it?

pax
    Dan ~

Yes. My husband does not carry. There was a brief period of time, a year or so ago, when I had him talked into it. But, long story, he eventually stopped because him carrying was really my desire rather than his.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Pax...

you are a RARE breed...and an even more rare couple...

I guess it takes all kinds...

Keep working on him...as you know a few posts back...it took my wife 'decades' to come around!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Dan ~

Yes. My husband does not carry. There was a brief period of time, a year or so ago, when I had him talked into it. But, long story, he eventually stopped because him carrying was really my desire rather than his.

pax
    Yep, You gotta wanna to carry or you won't take it seriously.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Yep, as long as the person is somewhat open minded, it just takes time. My wife has come along, although there's still a long way to go. Keep it up!

Links