CC - Hopefully, it will get easier

This is a discussion on CC - Hopefully, it will get easier within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also agree with the others it does get easier. But I also agree with the OP about the carry of the "big" guns. My ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: CC - Hopefully, it will get easier

I also agree with the others it does get easier. But I also agree with the OP about the carry of the "big" guns. My Beretta PX4 is two pounds fully loaded and that is heavy enough for me. Kahr CM9 I have to say I forget it is on me. I normally carry OWB unless weather or clothing prohibit it.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Natiedean24 View Post
    To ask a dumb question: what makes a good gun belt. . . Good?

In other words, what separates a good belt from a not good belt?
    It's all about support, one that doesn't sag with the weight of a gun. Look up videos on YouTube on the Wilderness instructor belt or the Ares ranger belt and you'll see what people are talking about.

That helps explain what it needs to do. Thanks for the suggestions on products to look up.

Administrator
    A stiff heavy high quality gun belt is needed for OWB carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by chuckp View Post
    Recently received my CC permit and I've carried out in public twice thus far. Once IWB and once OWB.
    But, have you done your Wally World walk yet?

Seriously, after you carry for a bit, it does become a part of you. You will know you are "used to it" when you miss it when you go out. Good Luck, and welcome to our little corner of the internet from Florida's Emerald Coast.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Flashburns View Post
    What are you carrying and what kind of holster? I would rather learn from others experiences and try to make a smart economical decision.
    Thanks!
    Reading the initial post of the thread (often called the OP or Original Post/er) will answer all of your questions.

It's all about the belt. There are lots of threads on belts - many of them recent. I have one from Beltman.net that I've had for 6 years - I recommend them. Also have a jonestactical.com belt that is good. Not as much "support" but plenty strong and stiffer than a normal belt.

Austin

VIP Member
    A good belt is key. You might also want to try adjusting your carry position. I find the 3:30 position to work best for me. Also your holster will mold itself to your body with time, which will help eliminate the gap.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Eventually you will grab your wallet, cell phone, keys and gun like its nothing. You just get used to it and try various products and methods until you find whats perfect for you.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I've only been carrying for a couple of months, and hardly notice it anymore. The size and weight of the pistol definitely matters, however. My Glock 19 is definitely a bit heftier than my Kahr P380, with both carried IWB in Comp-Tac Infidel holsters. The Kahr nearly disappears in my pocket, as well.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. I forgot to mention, I am using an Ares Ranger Belt but nevertheless, I still have to have the belt tight enough to prevent sagging and when sitting, the buckle does dig in a bit to the skin.

It will definitely take getting used to. I imagine many CC folks have multiple holsters depending upon different factors: weather, unable to wear a belt, etc. I'll have to try different carry positions.

Thanks again!

I remember when I first started carrying with a 1911. I was hesitant a bit to carry condition 1. I would leave the hammer cocked and the safety on and carry that way trying to build my trust in the mainstay of the 1911. After a while, you must maintain a standard process as you load and secure your weapon, this includes being acutely aware of it being a loaded gun on your person. The leash like feeling goes away. I have carried for almost 20 years now and recently moved from a skinny Walther PPS to my new baby my Sig P229. Gun belts are key, I prefer to carry mine in an OWB that I have used for several guns, my favorite holster is a Fist K2 HIgh Ride, which is kydex and keeps the gun high on the beltline and tucked into the body quite well. I also carry with an instructors belt, with the fancy titanium buckle. lol.

I also believe "body type" has something to do with how comfortable CC can be. Every video I've seen of conceal carry has an individual of proper proportions, usually thin to medium build and it appears as if CC is of no issue at all.

Whereas I'm suffering from "Dunlop disease" where my belly done lap over my belt I'm thinking my 5'10, 215 lb frame is causing me some discomfort. For this reason, I'm also looking at Kangaroo Carry which would hopefully, negate my concern.

I think the suggestions of 3 o'clock carry are a really, really good idea. For me, personally, anywhere else feels like I've got a large object strapped to my body. At 3 o'clock I barely notice it. You might also experiment some more with holsters that make the gun ride higher or lower. You might find a 'sweet spot' where it just melts in there.

You can also think of it like a wedding ring: I didn't wear jewelry at all before I got married, and for the first few weeks I was fiddling with thing all the time. Now, I'm not even sure it comes off! Hmmm. Let me just check.....

Nope!

Welcome to the forum, from the MS Gulf Coast.

First of all know that you aren't experiencing anything that all of us have gone through, at one time or another. It does get easier, I promise. I've been carrying for over 30 years, and have settled on a DeSantis Speed Scabbard as my OWB holster, coupled with a good solid gun belt. Will conceal comfortably, and with the good belt, I often carry 2, sometime three magazines, or a magazine and a surefire flashlight, all with ease.

I also use a Jackass Leather (Galco Leather now) shoulder holster, called the Miami Classic, for those times I want the pistol off my belt. I would wait awhile before you try the shoulder rig however, because if you're not comfortable with an IWB holster now, the shoulder rig will absolutely freak you out. LOL I've never liked IWB holsters, I guess because I have too much inside my pants now, without adding a couple of pounds of steel and some leather or kydex. Not dissing them mind you, just saying they aren't for me.

If you're like the rest of us (or most of us anyway) you'll end up with a box full of holsters before you find YOUR favorite. Hopefully you'll learn from some of our mistakes, and save some money for ammo, magazines, or extra guns.

Your comment re: carrying lighter weapons made me think, and I appreciate that. I'm going to try to recall all of the various guns I've carried concealed, in chronological order. Started with a Charter Arms (.44 Special), then a 1911 Colt Government Model (full size), Smith & Wesson 586 (.9mm), Smith & Wesson 6906 (9mm), Smith & Wesson 686 (L Frame .357 w/4" barrel), GLOCK 19 (9MM), GLOCK 26 (9mm), GLOCK 22 (.40S&W), GLOCK 27 (.40S&W), H&K (.40S&W), SIG 239 (.40S&W), Kimber Stainless II (.45ACP 1911-5" Barrel), Kimber Ultra Raptor II (.45ACP 3" barrel). I think that's all of them. I've had various pocket guns along the way, but these are all the weapons that I've used as my primary.

Some of these were issued weapons, and others were personal weapons. I carry the Kimber Ultra Raptor II, and a Kimber Solo Carry (9mm) every day. Good luck and welcome to our world. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckp View Post
    I also believe "body type" has something to do with how comfortable CC can be. Every video I've seen of conceal carry has an individual of proper proportions, usually thin to medium build and it appears as if CC is of no issue at all.

Whereas I'm suffering from "Dunlop disease" where my belly done lap over my belt I'm thinking my 5'10, 215 lb frame is causing me some discomfort. For this reason, I'm also looking at Kangaroo Carry which would hopefully, negate my concern.
    I'm 5'10" and fifteen pounds south of you, and the set-up I mentioned in my previous post works great. The chopped 17 and holster in my avatar are comfortably at 3:00 all day, every day.
    chuckp likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links