CC - Hopefully, it will get easier

This is a discussion on CC - Hopefully, it will get easier within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently received my CC permit and I've carried out in public twice thus far. Once IWB and once OWB. OWB using a Phantom Holster from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: CC - Hopefully, it will get easier

Recently received my CC permit and I've carried out in public twice thus far. Once IWB and once OWB.

OWB using a Phantom Holster from Raven Concealment made it feel as if I was on a leash that was being continuously tugged. I'm only carrying a S&W Shield 9mm which supposedly is a relatively light carry weapon. Nonetheless, it felt uncomfortable.

IWB using a Minotaur MTAC Holster that felt much more comfortable. Again, comfortable is relative. I am consciously aware of this extra weight on my side (~4:30 position) and the uncommon wide opening between my pants and body that begins immediately after the holster extending a couple of inches past the small of my back.

I cannot imagine the feel of a heavier weapon that some of you carry. How do you do it?

How much time will it take before I get "used to it" and not even notice that I'm carrying?
    Maybe it never goes away and hence the reason some people carry the smallest of calibers.
    I don't know.

2. Remove Ads

Good holster and a good belt make all the difference in comfort.
    IWB works well for me (no OC in FL), but many times I use an OWB which keeps the gun tight against the body, and that works just as well...AND it's a bit more comfy.

Getting used to it?
    I'd say it's like a new watch, you only notice it at first, and soon you will just 'know' it there, but no big deal.

Today I took a quick nap...still had my Glock-36 in an OWB...didn't even think about it.
    I normally would put the gun and holster on the night stand. When I got up, I realized it was still on my waist...no big deal.
    .45acpguy, Jetfuelrm and Aceoky like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1

It gets easier and more comfortable with time. My ruger is likely twice the weight of your shield and I hardly notice it's there most of the time lol. It took a day or two for the holster (n82 pro tactical) to form to the shape of my waist, but since then, it's been smooth sailing. Highly recommend their holsters as well

VIP Member
    I wear either a Brommeland custom leather gun belt, or a Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch. These belts will comfortably support two Glock 19s carried mirror.
    My most comfortable holsters are Brommeland Max-Con Vs, shown in this video The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    and a custom kydex made by Midworld Gunleather, pictured here midworld 17 holster 004.JPGmidworld 17 holster 001.JPG
    chuckp likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I agree with the previous posts, it gets easier with time. I also carried around the house to get used to it before I got my permit. I think this made it easier when I did carry around town for the first time.
    umpguns likes this.

Like others have said, I would suggest a quality gun-belt. It makes a world of difference. Also, don't be afraid to try different positions on you waist (1,3,5 o'clock etc.) It's different for everyone so good luck!

As others mentioned above... a good belt is key.
    And to acclimate quicker, keep your pistol on ya at home as well as when you're away.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I was at the movies today with my M&P 9c at about 8 o'clock IWB in a Remora holster. It was so comfortable back there I had to check a few times to make sure it hadn't somehow worked its way out. It hadn't moved...I've just grown so used to it being there that I couldn't even feel it.
    umpguns likes this.

Good gun belt is your friend. Soon youll feel like you dont have pants on if you dont have your firearm with you.
    Darrow75 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I hardly even notice I'm carrying my heavy old sig P239.

You did not say if you had a good quality belt. Like everyone else that is the starting point.
    After a couple of weeks you will feel naked without the extra weight.

Welcome from Florida.
    Ted

S&W9c w/RMR Red Dot, XDS, Wilson X-TAC Compact & ULC Compact
    STI HP Edge 40, STI Trojan 9mm

NRA Life Member

What are you carrying and what kind of holster? I would rather learn from others experiences and try to make a smart economical decision.
    Thanks!

To ask a dumb question: what makes a good gun belt. . . Good?

In other words, what separates a good belt from a not good belt?

GH
    Just give it time. You'll get used to it. Try different positions on or under your belt. I have 4 "favorite" locations that I'll switch back & forth depending on what clothes I'm wearing & if mostly walking, driving or sitting. One of those 4 positions work adequately for all, about 3:30, but more comfort can be had by a minor change. I'd guess I go between 2:00 o'clock & 4:30.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I'll echo everyone else. A good quality holster and gun belt are the necessary items. I love any of the custom leather ones, especially the Ritchie hideaway. Once you find the right combo you'll start considering bigger guns for carry :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links