Why my wife is choosing to get a concealed carry permit & gun

This is a discussion on Why my wife is choosing to get a concealed carry permit & gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fitch The SP101 double action trigger pull ended up being what nixed it. I did everything I could to reduce it, but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why my wife is choosing to get a concealed carry permit & gun

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    The SP101 double action trigger pull ended up being what nixed it. I did everything I could to reduce it, but if the hammer spring was reduced, it got unreliable. Polishing and a lighter trigger return spring helped, but not enough.

Recoil was what lead to the LCR going away.

She fell in love with the P238 because the slide is so easy to rack and it's the most pleasant to shoot pocket sized .380 semi-auto on the planet.

I like it because: she likes it; it can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on; it has fantastic night sights as standard, is really concealable and has an excellent trigger. I liked it so much she made me get my own so I'd leave hers alone.

Fitch

My wife has been looking at the P238 Lady and really likes it. I am just not sure that I like a .380 .
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    My wife has been looking at the P238 Lady and really likes it. I am just not sure that I like a .380 .
    I will be happy for my wife to carry a .380 over nothing any day. I agree that I think I like a .38 special or .357 mag over a .380 but it comes down to what she can handle and what she likes.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    \

I agree with 223to45, if she'll carry it, it's good. My sister's carry gun is a Walther Model 9 .25ACP, but she never leaves it home.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Just got mine thru the program last month. She got her WI permit and its time to go shopping. She wants to take over one of my guns but I would like to get her very own. She can almost out shoot me with the 10 /22. I am not sure if I am proud or embarrassed!
    My wife was chilly (somewhere between accepting and down-right frigid) about me getting my CCW and ensuing Ruger SR9c to carry a year ago. A few weeks ago she asked if I could print up the application for her to send off for her CCW. She got her CCW in the mail a week later. Then she asked to go to a gun show with me and look for something she liked. While there, she asked if we were going to stop after buying only one more gun! I was shocked!! So, to make a long story short, we will now be collecting guns. On the way home from the gun show, I took a "detour" to a sporting goods store that has quite a few guns on hand so she could handle as many as she wanted to see what felt good to her. Her first choice, so far, is a Ruger LC9, followed by the Glock 26. She is open to the Ruger LCR as well, but we haven't found one she can fondle yet. Life is good. Get your wife her OWN gun!! That's my nickel's worth of free advice.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member

New favorite quote of the day
    "Get your wife her own gun!"
    Aceoky likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I am older than your wife and recently went to my first gun show with my husband. We bought me a Ruger LCR .38 with a red laser trace. I plan to get a CC license and practice. Ordered a safe and will have to figure out how to carry. I cannot rack/slide an automatic (hand strength) so this option was good. I do have a .22 S&W that I can handle for target shooting. Good wishes to your wife. She is a smart lady. I wish I had done this years ago. Encouraging husbands are important in the learning process.
    Aceoky and 9MMare like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    As I read your post, I thought, most of the people I know in the health care profession are betwixed and between carrying a firearm. Firstly, they chose that work to save lives not take them. I suddenly realized that its not all about saving somebody elses life sometimes, its about saving your own. I sometimes carry not for my own safety but for others around me. I must get this from the military.

Kudos to you and your wife for recognizing where your priorities are. Keep her interested in survival and the rest will come natural. Glad to hear she made this decision on her own.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

she said she wanted to get her permit
    Congratulations! This is really a big deal.

A lot of people won't consider carrying a firearm because they know it will require them to do things and think about things that are extra work. The person who decides to take on the additional responsibility has been motivated by something which outweighs all that. Kudos to both of you.
    Aceoky and 9MMare like this.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I'm 5 foot and about 130 or so and I'm having issues on how to not print....it's a work in progress. :) I went from a .380 to a .38 to a 9mm & a .45. I didn't like the small light guns very well so after lots of guns and many many hours of shooting I finally decided on a XDs .45 and a Beretta Nano 9mm for my everyday carry guns.

Main thing is let her shoot as many guns as she can and she can figure out what fits her hands and feels good to her. Congrats on another lady carrying! :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links