"Night Sights" v. "Big Dot" v. Painting Sights

This is a discussion on "Night Sights" v. "Big Dot" v. Painting Sights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you're truly looking to "improve my groupings" then it's not new sights that you need, it's practice. If you can miss a barn at ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: "Night Sights" v. "Big Dot" v. Painting Sights

If you're truly looking to "improve my groupings" then it's not new sights that you need, it's practice. If you can miss a barn at 10 feet with a hand-full of BBs, it's your technique, not your equipment, that needs improvement. IMHO, and with all due respect, far too many new CCL holders get wayyyy toooo wrapped-up in go-fast gear and neglect the basics of "front sight, front sight, front sight...press". Only hits count. If night sights are absolutely mandatory to effectively defend yourself at night, then why do so many high-end, expensive, defensive handguns come...without 'em?
    GH, Aceoky, tacman605 and 1 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    I had Trijicon HD night sights on the Glock 23 I gave my son. I loved them. My son loves them. He's a LEO & his department uses M&P 40s - all with Trijicons. Now I'm waiting for my M&P 40C to come in. I ordered it with Trijicons. I couldn't pass up the deal by saving almost $100 if I ordered them with the gun order. Had I walked out the door without them & decided on the Trijicons I would have to pay full price.

To get better groupings you'll have to practice good pistol marksmanship regardless what sights you're using at the time. Start with that & then consider getting sights that will improve your aiming ability in low light levels.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    What is the best option for SD purposes? I have a S&W Shield. It shoots great, but I'd like to improve my groupings.

Thanks!
    My suggestion is the XS big dot sights. If you can't see well enough to see the sights without tritium or paint, you can't see well enough to see your target and what lies beyond it, either. What you need is a rail mounted tac light instead.
    The big dot is available with a tritium insert, too.. making it a night sight as well as a faster sight for target acquisition than stock sights.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    I have the XS Sights Big Dot tritiums on my USPc. Best of both worlds, and I love them.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have the XS Big Dot tritiums on my XD9sc and really like them. However, that was before Trijicon introduced their new Trijicon HD night sights which I think are a marked improvement over the Big Dots.

They have either a Hi-Viz Yellow or Hi-Viz Orange ring around the front sight with a glow in the dark tritium dot in the center. The tritium dot is used at night, however the Hi-Viz Yellow or Orange ring, is lumenescent and will glow if there is any ambient light. Standard tritium dots on the rear sight, however the design of the rear sight is very nice. Low glare and when shooting in the daylight, the tritium dots become invisible so all you do is put the big Yellow or Orange dot on your target. Very fast target acquisition and the colors really "pop" and jump out at you. They definitely draw your sight towards the front sight. Just center the big orange or yellow dot in the middle of the deep dish "U" on the rear sight and you're good to go.

The Trijicon HD sights for the S&W M&P will fit the Shield.

I plan on putting the Trijicon HD sights on both my Shield and my M&P full size 9mm's.

Trijicon HD Night Sights

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    What is the best option for SD purposes? I have a S&W Shield. It shoots great, but I'd like to improve my groupings.

Thanks!
    The problem here...is its either one or the other dependent on your perception and purpose for " SD ". So heres my opinion;

Painted sights work well in light that you can see them Glow paint is kinda iffy, as it dims afterawhile.

Big dot is perfect for CQB style shooting, actually for close fast shooting its the top choice. The down side is if you want to improve your groups, well, its not going to happen with the Big Dot.

Regular night sights like Meprolight and Trijicon offer a regualr sight profile with the advantage of a 3 dot system, and night sight capability. However; most people do not understand the proper use of the 3 dot system.

Now, I have my carry guns set up with ether Trijicons, or TFO's, which use fiber optic and tritium for a high glow of the day, and night sight capability.
    Of course, opinions vary depending on level of expertise and general usage requirements.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I replaced the night sights on my G19 and G23 with XS Big Dots. Love them. Had a GS friend make the changes for me.
    Jim

sebring likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Without night sights, you can not aim your pistol accurately in low light, period.

Night sights, IMHO are a necessity on any gun that will ever be used for self defense or home defense. Spend the 100 bucks, and forget about it.
    I'll offer a contrary perspective. Without a LIGHT, you cannot properly identify your target in low light. With a light illuminating your target, the silhouette of your sights can be used to accurately aim your firearm.

Night sights are nice, but IMO, it is the LIGHT that you shouldn't leave home without.

Personally, I painted my front sight day glow yellow, and the rears day glow orange... and I always have a reliable bright light in my pocket.

-john

Tritium big dots!

-BTO-
    wdbailey likes this.
    -BTO-

Re: "Night Sights" v. "Big Dot" v. Painting Sights

I also vote for Trijicon HDs. They are a little more expensive, but after having them put on my Shield I love them. I got the orange front ring, and it just pops out!
    Bark'n likes this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have a couple of different set ups on different guns, but my EDC G23 wears 10-8 Performance blacked out rear U notch and brass bead front. I may eventually go with a Tritium front, but I like a blacked out rear over any other combination. I want all my attention on the front and not having glowing orbs to line up or trying to chose which one goes in the center is helpful.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I'll offer a contrary perspective. Without a LIGHT, you cannot properly identify your target in low light. With a light illuminating your target, the silhouette of your sights can be used to accurately aim your firearm.

Night sights are nice, but IMO, it is the LIGHT that you shouldn't leave home without.

Personally, I painted my front sight day glow yellow, and the rears day glow orange... and I always have a reliable bright light in my pocket.

-john
    I must disagree with you bz if we are just talking about use of the firearm for home defense, at least as far as the parameters I have set for myself in defending my wife and I in our home. I know my house in the dark--it is not pitch black dark as if I am in a cave--there is some ambient light from nightlights, outside street lights, etc etc. The BG does not know my house. It is an advantage that I have. I light up my house with a light I am losing that advantage. In my case I will not leave my locked bedroom to "clear" the house. Only my wife and I and everything in other parts of house are insured and replaceable--I am insured and not replaceable and I am not about to find out how good the BG may be with whatever "equipment" he has brought along with him. He tries to enter my locked bedroom it will be the last cogent thought of his life. Even if I were to find it necessary to "clear" the house, the light is a two way street. You feel it is necessary to find the BG, I feel it makes it easy for the BG to find me. I should say, however, that for outdoor scenarios or large area scenarios where I am as "lost" as the BG, I can agree, to some extent, that lighting is a good idea. It still, however, gives the BG a target. Guess we will disagree--just sayin.

Painting my sp101 front blade

I have painted the front blade of my sp101 with neon glow paint in a yellow an it works great, my glock I have Trijicon must have for home defense, 380 body guard has a laser all these things are no replacement for practice in low light situations but they help

Senior Moderator
    I like big dot sights, but on my revolvers I just painted my front sight ramp
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links