Pants & sizing

Pants & sizing

This is a discussion on Pants & sizing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a relatively skinny guy, at 6', 155lbs... I'm new to CC, so still figuring how best to carry. My clothes are, for the most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pants & sizing

Question Pants & sizing

I'm a relatively skinny guy, at 6', 155lbs... I'm new to CC, so still figuring how best to carry. My clothes are, for the most part, pretty fitted. It's just a preference thing. I understand that may change with sticking a firearm & holster inside my waistband, so my question is... what is the average 'adjustment' to pant size I'll have to make? I'm fairly sure there's no way I can comfortably get a Remora and Kahr P9 inside my current jeans and shorts. So, do I need to buy 1" larger waist size? Or just take it all when I try on pants, and see what fits best? Just curious what others do.

thanks!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Your best bet would be to take it with you when you try them on. Otherwise going up 1" in the waist is a good start.
    Last edited by phreddy; January 22nd, 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: my typing is atrocious.

I went up from a 34" waist to a 36" waist to comfortably carry IWB. This is with an LCR though, so might be larger than you'd need for IWB carry of a semi-auto.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Your best bet would be to take it with you when you try them on. Otherwise going up 1" in the waist is a good start.
    This is probably the best way to go. Especially the having the gun with you when you try them on. Also remember, a quality gun belt will help also.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As a fellow 6' tall ~150 guy:

Get a good belt, no exceptions. I have a typical leather IWB holster with a super sturdy belt (both Stronghold Phoenix), and I have no problems with a heavier firearm (p220 compact). [This coming from the guy who could never keep my jeans up normally sans gun before I got the nice belt]

I found that I am most comfortable if I buy the next 2" waist size bigger.

Has nothing to do with CC... I just like doughnuts a bit too much.
    .45acpguy likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Depending on what I'm carrying, I wear a 3 Speed deep concealment at 12 o'clock with my G19, with 1 size larger waist and elastic waistband jeans or shorts. This provides very quick draw. For my CW9, I wear 1 size up, good belt and Foxx Trapp holster at 4 o'clock.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

I have a 32 inch waist and I buy my pants with a 33 waist. Def wear your gun when you go clothes shopping.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I never could get comfortable with IWB carry. I carry in front pocket, or OWB holster, depending on which gun I am carrying.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

As others have mentioned a 1" increase in waist size is a good idea. I have a Kahr PM9 and all my pants are 1" larger. They fit very well with a Kahr IWB.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am 5' 10" 165 lbs and get by by adding 1" to the pant waist size to accommodate a Galco King Tuk or a CrossBreed Super Tuck with a good belt, I use a CrossBreed or a Bull Hide.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have a 32 inch waist and I buy my pants with a 33 waist. Def wear your gun when you go clothes shopping.
    same for me. 32 inch waist and find the 33 works great. I also have 34's for when I can't run as much and my love for food takes over!

I most generally wear 36X40 jeans when I want them to fit. But as I prefer IWB carry and like Glocks and SIGs (thick guns), most of my jeans are now 38s.

Seems like I have gravitated to Dickies carpenter jeans. All kinds of roomy, and 22 bucks a pair.

I have never purchased different pant sizes. I do not tuck my shirt in, but I pull my belt tight, button or zip my pants. I wear Levis. I can button all the buttons except the top one and it will never show. I can zip my pants almost all the way up. I am 5'8" and 175 lbs. I have shrunk some over my 72 years.

VIP Member
    I go from 32" to 33" for one Glock. 34" for two. Thinner guys seem to have better luck around the 4:30 position than further forward toward the hip.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links