Holy Cow!

Holy Cow!

This is a discussion on Holy Cow! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I had an interesting discussion with a member of my extended family...someone I've known and have been good friends with for more years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Holy Cow!

Smile Holy Cow!

Last night I had an interesting discussion with a member of my extended family...someone I've known and have been good friends with for more years than I care to recall. He is an unabashed Obama supporter, but when I attended a family dinner at his home he approached me in private and said "I just can't believe they're blaming the tool...this is ignorant. Guns are not the problem. The real issue is mental illness and detecting those who are likely to commit violence. There's a lot of research to be done in this field and if we spent half the resources pursuing this research instead of wasting time trying to infringe on the rights of law-abiding citizens we might actually make some headway toward preventing tragic events like Newtown and Aurora."

It gives me hope that we're on the right track!

Everyone...keep up the good work and always put your best foot forward! Don't be lured into irrational, emotion-laden arguments. Be yourselves and argue - with respect, sound reasoning, and passion - to defend the constitution and your right to keep and bear arms!

We're winning the battle and the war, but never become complacent!
    akav8er, Pistology, mano3 and 7 others like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Always nice to know some are beginning to see through the banners claims.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No one should kid themselves that all liberals or Democrats want increased gun control. I think anti-gunners flock toward the liberal side, but that doesn't make all liberals anti. I've known a few staunch Republicans who saw no reason to go about armed, my dad included.
    ironmike86 and archer51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As long as you guys have me on ur team you'll be justt fine..

GH
    A know a few Democrats who are starting to see the light. They're even starting to question things His Royal Highness has said. Gun control is one of them.
    mano3 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No one should kid themselves that all liberals or Democrats want increased gun control. I think anti-gunners flock toward the liberal side, but that doesn't make all liberals anti. I've known a few staunch Republicans who saw no reason to go about armed, my dad included.
    I agree. Anti gun sentiments know no political or social boundaries. You'll find them in all walks of life.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    A know a few Democrats who are starting to see the light. They're even starting to question things His Royal Highness has said. Gun control is one of them.
    It's the liberal Democrats that are the problem. Most Democrats just follow somewhere along their party lines I believe. It's the true hardcore libs that think they're smarter than those around them regarding gun control amongst other things.
    ep1953 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

As it is said, most of those who oppose any firearms ownership or believe the Second Amendment is outdated for the times do generally lean towards the Democrat side of the fence and also are Liberal in thought. Some are so convinced however, there is little chance to change their minds. We must understand that.

I have several Church acquaintences that feel unsure about firerms. One of them is a staunch Liberal who thinks that our fear of losing our gun rights is just that, fear. He says that what they propose to do is not even close to it but he also likes the other Progressive stuff too. He says he cannot understand why we want guns in the first place. No convincing him either, but he knows that I am a gun owner and respects that I have a right to do so.

Another couple who lean that way and are supporters of O and approached us once to go out to a range and shoot. Suprised the heck out of me but they went. She had never fired a weapon and enjoyed the outing. Yet, she believes that nobody should have an "assault rifle" and those need to be banned. Go figure.

I believe education is the greatest weapon in the fight against gun confiscation and rights restriction. The more people are educated to the fact that more laws against guns and owners won't solve nor have stopped madness with the gun could be the key to winning over some who have not totally made up their minds on gun control.

I think your Liberal friend is coming to that conclusion. Instead of blaming the object or the law abiding, he can see that it would be a real waste of time and money to travel down that road. Good for him.
    Aceoky and KBSR like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Funny I had a conversation last night with a person who asked me about learning to shoot and wasnt familiar with guns at all.Definitely an O supporter but I got the message that they were wavering on the issue of controls and what truly should be done.

We will win this argument, because we are right. Many have said it, and I'll echo it; we haven't lost this fight, and the way to victory is through learning, and rational thought. Whenever you force otherwise intelligent people to listen to the facts, not the rhetoric, many will come to see it our way. When the emotions are set aside, truth filters through.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

It just so happens that I am taking a class on money management and the speaker made a comment that is relative to guns. He said, "Money is amoral...it isn't good or bad, it just is...but many people try to demonize money and those who have it." I thought this was a perfect argument against the emotional attack on guns. Guns are amoral...not good or bad...it is the human element that turns a gun one way or another. Of course, getting a far-left liberal to understand that is very difficult. I have three friends who are total O supporters and very liberal. They think I'm crazy for owning guns...if they knew I conceal carry they would have a heart attack...
    ep1953 likes this.

I am glad to see all this debate and conversation has moved some people off the fence. My cousin who is in his mid 40's has been a strong conservative on many issues his whole life but has never owned a gun. He asked me at a family function what gun he should buy for his first so his 2 teenage boys could learn safety and learn how to shoot. I gave him my recommendaitons on this and once the weather warms up some he and the boys will come out to my place to do some shooting with 22's and shot guns just to get started. I look forward to teaching them about the fun and responsibility of owning guns!

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Last night I had an interesting discussion with a member of my extended family...someone I've known and have been good friends with for more years than I care to recall. He is an unabashed Obama supporter, but when I attended a family dinner at his home he approached me in private and said "I just can't believe they're blaming the tool...this is ignorant. Guns are not the problem. The real issue is mental illness and detecting those who are likely to commit violence. There's a lot of research to be done in this field and if we spent half the resources pursuing this research instead of wasting time trying to infringe on the rights of law-abiding citizens we might actually make some headway toward preventing tragic events like Newtown and Aurora."

It gives me hope that we're on the right track!

Everyone...keep up the good work and always put your best foot forward! Don't be lured into irrational, emotion-laden arguments. Be yourselves and argue - with respect, sound reasoning, and passion - to defend the constitution and your right to keep and bear arms!

We're winning the battle and the war, but never become complacent!
    Good Lord I hope your right. Some clown at the range I belong to is a serious Obama supporter, and blames all the anti-gun stuff on the Republicans!?! I don't get it.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I agree. Anti gun sentiments know no political or social boundaries. You'll find them in all walks of life.
    Luckily the same can be said for pro-gun sentiments. Some people are afraid (for want of a better word) to openly admit it while others are simply ignorant of the facts. An honest open dialog is the best approach. We have more support than we realize. We just need to get them to the point of being able to openly declare their support.

Quote Originally Posted by drinknshoot View Post
    As long as you guys have me on ur team you'll be justt fine..
    Thanks! I know I'll sleep better tonight knowing you are there for us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links