A reply to my letter to Kansas congress

This is a discussion on A reply to my letter to Kansas congress within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dear Mr. Holmes: Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the recent tragedy in Connecticut and your opposition to proposals to expand ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Ksgunner
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: A reply to my letter to Kansas congress

Dear Mr. Holmes:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the recent tragedy in Connecticut and your opposition to proposals to expand gun control laws in response to the tragedy. As your representative in Washington, I want you to know that I value your thoughts and concerns.

I extend my condolences to the family and friends of victims in Newtown, Connecticut. What happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School is an inexplicable tragedy, and every parentís worst nightmare. In the future, I hope we can have an honest discussion about what causes tragedies like this one, and how we can prevent them from happening. In that discussion, we need to focus on how our country approaches mental health. It is my hope that we ensure all families have access to resources and support in order to prevent mentally unstable individuals from harming themselves and others. Prevention must start with improving accessibility and affordability so that folks can get the care they need.

I believe that at its core, the problem is not the absence of law, but the lack of respect for human life. While additional gun control measures will have little impact on criminals, they will have the most significant adverse effect on law-abiding citizens. Growing up in rural Kansas, I've known from a young age that as Americans, we cherish our right to keep and bear arms. As your representative, I will work to ensure that right remains intact.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please never hesitate to call, email, or write if you have any issues or concerns on your mind. Also feel free to visit my website at Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins : Home where you can see what I have been up to and sign up for my weekly newsletter.

Pretty good stuff huh?

Very nice. I received something similar earlier today too.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Yuppers...I like her!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Hell yeah! My home state is doing a great job so far of supporting the 2A. Lovin' it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    That is awesome to see.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you have a winner in congress. You need to keep her.
    BugDude likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's heartwarming to see that you have an excellent Congresswoman representing your district. We must all contact our Congressmen and Senators to make sure that we maintain our second amendment rights.

Both of my reps are pro 2A. That's how they got elected. I have contacted both if them to let them know I am depending on them.
    Good to see our neighbors to the north are of like mind.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I got this from Senator Jerry Moran today. Makes me get all warm and fuzzy inside!!!

Dear Mr. Melton:

The U.S. Constitution guarantees that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the most recent attempts to restrict the Second Amendment rights of Americans.

On January 16, 2013, President Obama called on Congress to ban automatic weapons and magazines that hold ten rounds or more. The President's agenda is not a strategy that will protect our nation from violence. We have to be honest about what works and what does not. President Clinton's own Justice Department admitted that the 1994 "assault weapons" ban did almost nothing to affect crime.

Earlier today, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), the author of the 1994 ban, introduced legislation that prohibits the sale or transfer of "assault weapons," including some semiautomatic firearms. The passage of the 1994 ban was before my time in Congress, but I voted against reauthorization of the ban when it expired in 2004, and will always vote to protect the inherent right of Americans to own firearms. It is wrong to punish law-abiding gun owners with new laws that only empower criminals who disregard such laws.

In addition to the current proposals in Washington that threaten our Second Amendment rights, an international treaty would infringe upon our firearm freedoms. In July 2012, I authored a letter to President Obama signed by 50 of my Senate colleagues expressing our opposition to the ratification of a United Nations Arms Trade Treaty that in any way threatens the gun rights of Americans. The next round of negotiations on this dangerous treaty are set to take place March 18-28 in New York. Whether it be gun control proposals in Washington or international treaties that infringe upon the Second Amendment rights of Americans, I am committed to protecting the Constitution and defending the rights of American citizens.

I am grateful for the opportunity Kansans have given me to serve them in the United States Senate. If you are interested in learning more about my efforts on your behalf, I encourage you to visit moran.senate.gov. Please let me know if I can be of service to you or your family in the future.

Very truly yours,

Jerry Moran

That's a good letter to receive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Great Representation For Kansas!

We are extremely lucky to have Senators Roberts and Moran and Representative Jenkins, R, 2nd District, representing us in DC. They seem to get it! I've gotten replies from both Sen Roberts, his response came right away, a response from Rep Jenkins and today got an email response from Sen Jerry Moran!

Dear Joseph:

The U.S. Constitution guarantees that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the most recent attempts to restrict the Second Amendment rights of Americans.

On January 16, 2013, President Obama called on Congress to ban automatic weapons and magazines that hold ten rounds or more. The President's agenda is not a strategy that will protect our nation from violence. We have to be honest about what works and what does not. President Clinton's own Justice Department admitted that the 1994 "assault weapons" ban did almost nothing to affect crime.

Earlier today, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), the author of the 1994ban, introduced legislation that prohibits the sale or transfer of "assault weapons," including some semiautomatic firearms. The passage of the 1994 ban was before my time in Congress, but I voted against reauthorization of the ban when it expired in 2004, and will always vote to protect theinherent right of Americansto own firearms. It is wrong to punish law-abiding gun owners with new laws that only empower criminals who disregard such laws.

In addition to the current proposals in Washington that threaten our Second Amendment rights, an international treaty would infringe upon our firearm freedoms. In July 2012, I authored a letter to President Obama signed by 50 of my Senate colleagues expressing our opposition to the ratification of a United Nations Arms Trade Treaty that in any way threatens the gun rights of Americans. The next round of negotiations on this dangerous treaty are set to take place March 18-28 in New York. Whether it be gun control proposals in Washington or international treaties that infringe upon the Second Amendment rights of Americans, I am committed to protecting the Constitution and defending the rights of American citizens.

I am grateful for the opportunity Kansans have given me to serve them in the United States Senate. If you are interested in learning more about my efforts on your behalf, I encourage you to visit moran.senate.gov. Please let me know if I can be of service to you or your family in the future.

Very truly yours,

Jerry Moran
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Links