Radiation technology to "see" concealed guns

This is a discussion on Radiation technology to "see" concealed guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe now NYC can get away from those pesky, discriminatory Terry stops and be equally intrusive with everybody....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Radiation technology to "see" concealed guns

VIP Member
    Maybe now NYC can get away from those pesky, discriminatory Terry stops and be equally intrusive with everybody.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

I think someone is trying sell snake oil. "Terahertz" is a term for something that oscillates at 10^12 cycles per second and does not refer to any kind of technology or something a person emits. Humans do emit some radiation in the infra-red part of the electromagnetic spectrum but this is nowhere near that frequency. That photo appears to have been made with an infra-red camera (think "Predator"). This looks and sounds like a pile of bovine fecal material.
    Never get out of the boat....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Why not just hire Superman. With his x-ray vision no need for special equipment. Honestly though, I can see court challenges right off the bat, for unlawful searches.
    Yeah, the point of concealed is expectation of privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    I think someone is trying sell snake oil. "Terahertz" is a term for something that oscillates at 10^12 cycles per second and does not refer to any kind of technology or something a person emits. Humans do emit some radiation in the infra-red part of the electromagnetic spectrum but this is nowhere near that frequency. That photo appears to have been made with an infra-red camera (think "Predator"). This looks and sounds like a pile of bovine fecal material.
    This item is in the news from multiple sources. The image is a visual representation since whatever is rendering the information, like infrared, is not in the human visual spectrum. So it could look like IR and be legit.

Never get off the boat.... Damn right. ;)
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thought "Terahertz" was bionicsphere for hamsters.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just wear clothing that blocks the radiation or scrambles it.

It is a terahertz radar. It can penetrate clothing & image solid objects.
    May be able to image the human body like the "naked airport scanners". That may give people a grounds for suing them.

THz Imaging Radar for Standoff Personnel Screening

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login...mber%3D6005328

Abstract

A summary of the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory's 675 GHz imaging radar is presented, with an emphasis on several key design aspects that enable fast, reliable through-clothes imaging of person-borne concealed objects. Using the frequency-modulated continuous-wave (FMCW) radar technique with a nearly 30 GHz bandwidth, sub-centimeter range resolution is achieved. To optimize the radar's range resolution, a reliable software calibration procedure compensates for signal distortion from radar waveform nonlinearities. Low-noise, high dynamic range detection comes from the radar's heterodyne RF architecture, low-noise chirp source, and high-performance 675 GHz transceiver. The radar's optical design permits low-distortion fast beam scanning for single-pixel imaging, and a real-time radar image frame rate of 1 Hz is now possible. Still faster speeds are on the horizon as multi-beam THz transceivers are developed.
    Last edited by SigPapa226; January 23rd, 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added info & source

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I think it could be really useful. We had a real tragedy a few years back: a gas station had been robbed and the two officers saw a man walking down the same street a-ways up. I guess the robbery happened in such a way that a precise description was impossible or any involved could not recall well.

Anyway, only because it was a lone man walking in the area - not for any real reason to suspect he was the robber - the two officers decided to ask him where he had been. They got out of the car and approached and when in talking distance and about to speak, the guy pulled out a gun and shot one officer, a female, in the throat - she went down at once as he pointed for another shot.

The second officer, real big guy, quickly estimated by the time he drew his weapon and fired the guy's finger would have pulled the trigger on the aimed gun, a revolver, and he'd shoot his partner again before he could kill the perp. So he did the one thing available: he leaped to the side and in, suddenly interposing himself right in front of the gun and threw his arms around the perp - taking a shot in the throat himself while doing this. He forced himself to hold on and try to wrestle the perp down as got shot again and again with his arms around and squeezing the perp trying to fall on top of him. As he was losing consciousness, he threw his weight one more time down with perp under him and fell finally on top of him. He testified later he could hear the clicking of the guy still pulling the trigger on his now empty gun as lost consciousness.

Back up cops screeched up immediately after and immobilized the perp. Paramedics from all over arrived desperately trying to save both officers. The male officer went in and out of consciousness and kept asking when awake only how his partner was. She was in terrible shape, stopped breathing as the bullet had cut her spinal cord and she was paralyzed from the neck down.

The outcome: they both survived, but the young woman is permanently paralyzed below neck and I think lives her days on a respirator, cared for in a facility. The male officer, though hailed everywhere as a hero and given every honorary award in the book, never recovered psychologically, had two motorcycle accidents, one near fatal. Apparently he felt guilty he hadn't done more. He left the force, unable to work - and I don't know his status now.

THE POINT of this story - I apologize it got so long but I still think of these two "partners" at times - : if those two officers had had that technology, they could have instantly known the perp, just a guy walking down street to them at first, was armed - and immediately taken action; if in their car, have never have gotten out of it but taken evasive action with car first, or trailed the guy driving slowly awaiting back-up - as they now had real reason to think he was the armed robber.

Like I needed another reason to never set foot in that state!
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    That is what I consider anything from NYC.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    What happens if a bunch a people carry a gun shaped object, all in a mass protest of this technology?

Overwhelm them with false positives!
    What happened to the 4th amendment?

I'm not so sure this is constitutional. Warrantless search with no probable cause.
    10thmtn, ep1953 and BugDude like this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I think the government officials in NY are trying to separate from the rest of the US and are trying to become their own country. They want their own rules and laws and do what they want whenever they want. They are trying to control the state like a sheep herder controls his flock.

Terahertz radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently any object above 10 kelvin emits it...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    What happened to the 4th amendment?

I'm not so sure this is constitutional. Warrantless search with no probable cause.

As they say: If you need to ask ...

I agree with you. If it's to be used for searching people as they're simply walking along when out in public, I believe this is unwarranted, unreasonable search without probable cause.

Unless scanning is restricted to only those witnessed engaging in suspicious, criminal (probable cause) activity. Though, there's no way that I can see to avoid abuse of the tool for general scanning. Unless the device has an automatic reporting feature that's tied to regular, required review, but I can't imagine that's likely to be either a feature or regularly and reliably reviewed even if it is a feature.
    OldVet, msgt/ret and ep1953 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^ Hear, hear!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No one is mentioning the radiation that we will be subjected to. The amount of radiation we are exposed to is increasing every year. Not only cell phones but wireless connections for many devices. We are being bombarded with RF energy and the governments keep piling it on, like this device. Breast cancer is up due to excessive mammograms, evidence for brain problems from cell phones next to our heads. I think we're in for a rude awaking soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links