"GUN-FREE" Zones - TEXAS

"GUN-FREE" Zones - TEXAS

This is a discussion on "GUN-FREE" Zones - TEXAS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Texas, there are certainly general carry restrictions such as court houses, bars, polling places, etc., as well as other locations WHEN Texas Penal Code ...

Thread: "GUN-FREE" Zones - TEXAS

"GUN-FREE" Zones - TEXAS

In Texas, there are certainly general carry restrictions such as court houses, bars, polling places, etc., as well as other locations WHEN Texas Penal Code (TPC) 30.06 is Posted in a specific manner. I have not been to the Lone Star College campus to check for the posting of TPC 30.06 since yesterday's shootings, but I am due to take my kids there tomorrow evening for a kids program.

The college's online policy states:"It is the policy of this [college] System to prohibit the carrying of firearms, knives, or clubs onto any of the System's facilities. The possession of firearms, illegal knives, and prohibited knives on System facilities including parking areas and publicly accessed facilities is a violation of criminal law and Board policies."

Does this preclude me from legally carrying on campus? This policy by itself does NOT meet the posting requirements of TPC 30.06. This may be a very naive question, but I'm trying to learn when it's OK to Carry in otherwise prohibited areas. Thanks!!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

...PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

...if they consider the kids program an "interscholastic event":

PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

...your question is not naive...there's a LOT to learn and remember...do you have a copy of TX CHL-16? I have read, re-read, and read again and still find things I missed...if you need a copy, PM me and I'll mail you one...I have some Sep 2011...not aware of any later editions...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...PC 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    I didn't realize this applies to colleges/universities. Thank you!! :-/
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Links