New to carrying

New to carrying

This is a discussion on New to carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just recieved my permit last Friday. Between recieving it and saturday night I didnt give it much thought. Just went on as normal. It didnt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to carrying

New to carrying

Just recieved my permit last Friday. Between recieving it and saturday night I didnt give it much thought. Just went on as normal.

It didnt hit me till saturday night. Spent a good hour sitting there at my buddies apt just contemplating everything. Before and during the application process I had thought about it many times, but now that I have it in hand, it just hit me. Its hard to explain, the feeling, it wasnt fear that I made a mistake for applying, it wasnt happiness that I recieved it, it wasnt relief that the process is over, it was something in between all of that. Like I said its hard to explain. I remember reading something about a person who after recieving their permit, sat down and cried because of the responsibility. While I did not cry, I am sure i felt something similiar to him.

I now pray that I wasted my money on something I hope to God I never have to use.
    (While I dont see it as a waste per say, I hope you got my point.)

Matt

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Just give yourself time.

When you experience something new, especially something that comes with its share of gravity, you can't expect to feel all that you're going to feel, or know all that you're going to know, in any given short length of time. It'll probably take a certain indeterminate length for it to run its course through you. Then you'll know more for certain whether carry is for you, or not.

I find, as many report having found, that once you start to carry, you will view not carrying (or worse, being forbidden to carry) like being naked and ill-prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto4785 View Post
    I remember reading something about a person who after recieving their permit, sat down and cried because of the responsibility. While I did not cry, I am sure i felt something similiar to him.

I now pray that I wasted my money on something I hope to God I never have to use.

Matt
    This is a good thing, never forget it. Some take the responsabilities of carrying very lightly, don't fall into that! We have a very serious responsability to be competent with our weapons, level headed and very knowledgeable about what we can and can not do.

I hope in the end we will all have never needed to have spent a dime on our self defense and further that no one would ever have to be involved in a shooting. Unfortunately vigilince and preparedness are needed today and this is our best tool. I hope to God as well that neither I nor you nor anyone else here will ever have to use it.

Welcome to the club!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Acceptance of responsibility

I would guess that your age may be early twenties.

I believe that what you are experiencing is a step on the road from dependence to independence. When we are children we rely upon our parents to take care of us, and we don't have to worry about personal security or financial support - they take care of it.

At some point we leave home and begin to assume the responsibility for our own support and security. At first we are afraid, because we have never done this before. Over time we may get married and have children, assuming the responsibility for others who are relatively helpless. We have gone from being sheep (and young sheep at that) to being a sheepherder.

I believe that beginning to carry a gun is a milestone on this path. You have gone from depending upon parents, police or society to give you physical security, to depending upon your own ability, hands and weapons to protect yourself. You are an independent adult.

CDH

Accepting, and then UNDERSTANDING the Responsibility

I agree with the writer of this linked article about the fact that it is our social responsibility to carry, and I also am pleased that you are apprehensive about carrying because it means that you really DO "understand" the responsibility and possible consequences of your (potential) actions.
    Read this article: it will give you something more to think about:

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/83.cfm?sd=45

At the same time, when I started carrying, I was struck by the "all or nothing" implications of defending oneself with a firearm. I became concerned that maybe, just maybe, I might find myself in a situation where I was in trouble, but not the kind of trouble that would warrant shooting someone with the likely outcome of their death.

Don't get me wrong; if I am truly in fear of my life at the hands of a predator, then I have no qualms at all about pulling the trigger.
    However, there might be a time when the other person may be bigger and younger than me but has no weapon so a shooting may not seem to be "justified" by a jury.
    Plus, in the case of a drunk, while a drunk should be given his come uppance if he wants to fight you, he certainly doesn't deserve to die.

My point is that it was only after I began carrying that I started also carrying pepper spray. I like the Spitfire brand because it's a key chain size unit that is always with me because my keys are always with me, and I carry it in my off hand so that it's instantly available, while leaving my strong hand open for draw, when I'm out in parking lots and the like.

Having the pepper spray will NOT slow down the draw of my pistol if need be, but it DOES give me an option that can be considered if I simply don't NEED to shoot someone.

I recommend to all who are CCW legal that they carry pepperspray for the same purpose. It takes a load off your mind about the potential of a marginally wrong call for lethal force, yet, it still leaves lethal force as an option when that decision is made for you by the predator.

Also don't overlook the fact that if you really do have to draw your weapon, a preliminary shot of pepper spray would serve to give you a little more time by blinding the guy. Remember that self defense isn't a sport or competition therefore there are NO rules and NOTHING is "unfair" when your survival is your only goal.

Good luck.

Congrats! Enjoy the responsibility and avoid trouble.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The fact that you have spent the time contemplating the full picture of ccw and it somewhat scares you is in reality the one of the best signs possible . It shows that you are in all likelyhood responsible and mature enough to use not abuse the options that ccw opens to us .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

All of us who conscientiously and responsibly carry, hope we will never have to draw in a life threatening situation (And there is no other reason to draw) and we dread the occasion. The end result is that we become a far more peacable person, avoiding, like the plague, any situation that might present or escalate into a gun confrontation or use. Studying, practicing and training on the subject will give you much more confidence and ease your concerns some. Good luck and good shooting.
    Last edited by tegemu; October 25th, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

This kind of post lets me know that
    all of our youth is not lost.

I feel the same way every time I put on
    my uniform and go to work.

The responsibility it carries are grim and grate
    Every decision you make can change some ones life,
    or take it, or save it

Good for you to stop and think about it,and the
    responsibility it represents.

I would suggest get all the training you can and
    shoot a lot
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Matto4785 View Post
    ... it wasnt fear that I made a mistake for applying, it wasnt happiness that I recieved it, it wasnt relief that the process is over, it was something in between all of that.
    If you haven't already, I'd suggest picking up a copy of "In The Gravest Extreme," by Massad Ayoob. It's 25yrs old, but it's still one of the best, most-concise reviews of the practical realities of preparing for your own defense, what it means to carry, the social and legal impacts of having been involved in a shooting, etc.

Simple test: if you can make it through the book and the questions it will prompt in your thinking, then you'll almost assuredly be just fine. Hard to imagine carrying without having gone through all of the critical questions, and come up with the mindset that will see you through. That's what this book's eye-opening presentation will help achieve.

All safety, survival and rescue tools are that way ... seemingly a "waste" at the time, but there is simply no good alternative in times of need. Can't get around that. It's a tool, nothing more. A tool for good, not for evil. It's a tool that can save the lives of you and your family. Be happy that you are prepared to take the steps necessary, no matter what they may be, to protect those you love. That goes farther than a lot of folks out there.

Welcome to combatcarry.com! You'll learn a lot from these old hands. Lots of experience, here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you haven't already, I'd suggest picking up a copy of "In The Gravest Extreme," by Massad Ayoob. It's 25yrs old, but it's still one of the best, most-concise reviews of the practical realities of preparing for your own defense, what it means to carry, the social and legal impacts of having been involved in a shooting, etc.
    While we're talking about books, get "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker.
    If you read it cover to cover and take it to heart and apply what he teaches you, it is highly unlikely that you will EVER allow yourself to get into a situation where you would actually have to draw your weapon.
    The book is all about the psychology of both predators and their potential victims (you) and how to observe and evaluate situations accurately for their level of danger and how to avoid dangerous situations in the first place.

I would add it to the "must read" list right up there with the book by Ayoob.

Assistant Administrator
    I do like to hear of a new CCW's deep consideration of what he/she has taken on board. That is a very good start.

We mention (well I do, a lot) the responsibility angle and in fact I would qualkify that by addition of the word ''awesome''. It is not something any of us should take lightly.

I hope here at least we all pray fervently to never have to use what we carry - it should be a given but - alongside that too is the need we all have to recognize of having to increase our awareness levels - however good you were before - make it even better.

Avoidance is IMO categorically the #1 skill we should all maximize.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I do like to hear of a new CCW's deep consideration of what he/she has taken on board. That is a very good start.
    +1
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Matto--you sound exactly like I did when I got my permit. I think (not boasting here, just being real) that it is among the best attitude to start out with because it does show a real understanding for the weight of the responsibility that you've chosen to bear. But also being very real, the pitfall that people like you and me (and many others here I'm sure) could fall into is not really being mentally ready to take a life. I can draw fast enough and shoot accurately and quickly, and I like to think that if it comes to it I can drop the hammer (striker pin, actually) on another person...but can I really? I'm realizing that I personally need to daily remind myself that "Yes I can, and yes I will." Perhaps it sounds morbid and terrible, but mentally practicing the act of drawing and firing at a threatening criminal will only serve to help you in the split second when you actually need to make that decision.

Furthermore, mental practice can help quite a bit. The first time I went to the range and did combat drills with my pistol I did extremely well--right down to the safe reholstering routine each time (thumb on the back of the slide, finger out, palm off grip safety, etc...). Why? I had been mentally rehearsing it all for a long time. See, it's hard for me to get out there, so I gotta occupy my mind with something. :)

Carry safe, shoot safe, live safe.

VIP Member
    You're gonna be just fine bro... Relax and take your time and congratulations. NOW GET TO WALMART AND HAVE SOME NACHOS!!!

I would have been concerned if you hadn't felt the way you did!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links