Idpa question

This is a discussion on Idpa question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm definitely interested in getting involved. My question has to do with HOLSTERS. As a Texan, I will always be wearing concealed IWB or Pocket. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By pgrass101

Thread: Idpa question

Idpa question

I'm definitely interested in getting involved. My question has to do with HOLSTERS. As a Texan, I will always be wearing concealed IWB or Pocket. In all the IDPA videos I've seen, the shooters wear OWB holsters with a vest or jacket. Should I plan to shoot with an OWB and a cover vest or shirt, or should I dress and shoot how I will normally be carrying?Thanks!!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Most people use OWB holsters because they are faster on the draw than IWB. There is no requirement to use OWB.

I have found most people who are into IDPA are always trying to better their time, and will often take any advantage offered.

The desire to win is more important to some, than the desire to improve oneself. That is what seems to bring more gamesmanship into the sport. I have seen several people beginning to wear extra, or special, belts just to get some speed advantage. At the matches I attend, people often wear weather inappropriate clothing so they can utilize the concealment that comes with a coat, or vest.

The kind of holster you decide on is entirely up to you, but I don't think pocket carry is allowed. Visit www.idpa.com to find the latest rules concerning equipment in general.

There are rules concerning calibers and actions, and different classes for different weapons, so you won't really be competing against the gamers with the custom equipment.

Good luck, enjoy yourself, and stay safe!
    tacman605 and 40Bob like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks for the great info!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    What high pockets said. One of the main reasons IDPA was created was to get away from the shooting game of other handgun shooting competitions. It was supposed to be a shooting sport that the average guy with the average gun could compete in unfortunately it has transformed in a shooting sport with covert custom competition guns shooting against stock guns.

Yes I do know that there are different categories and so on but it still works out that competitors are shooting against others with covertly modified guns and holsters with rules that don't always echo what is real life on the street for the everyday carrier.

Go there to learn, train and test yourself at the levels of stress that come with the competition. Many people go and since they don't win or have a good showing don't go back. Please don't get me wrong it is a great shooting sport take away from it what you can and compete against yourself not others.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    I shoot what I carry and how I carry. IDPA is great as a training, shooting tool, but as others have said that there those who see it as a game and they do not shoot how they carry.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I also shoot IDPA. I am more of a martial artist in that I will never win a match. I use my carry guns and gear. Several of the guys at my club use IWB holsters.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    There are rules about what equipment you can and can't use for shooting in the IDPA. You can down load a copy of those rules from their website, or you will recieve a rule book when you join, which you will have to do in order to shoot IDPA.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I wear an IWB I use to pack in the winter, VersaMax-II @ 3:00 under a sweatshirt or a vest and shoot my Glock 19 carry gun. I've competed with my Glock 26 a couple of times since I found a load that will make the right power factor out of the 3" barrel.

I don't use the CrossBreed because I carry that at 4:30 and they don't want the holster back there because of muzzle control and the RSO standing behind the shooter.

I shoot for practice with my carry guns. I could have a Glock 34 but what's the point?

I don't use the Glock 30 or the XDs because I don't have enough magazines for them ... yet.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

IDPA is a game. You can play the game to win and take every advantage within its rules; or, you can shoot the match course of fire with your carry gear so long as your carry gear and carry method are within IDPA's rules. Even if your carry method and gear don't meet IDPA's rules, you may be able to shoot the match anyway, but your score will not count - this potential option depends on the match's match director.

Give IDPA a try, it will make you a better shooter and I'll bet you have fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    There are rules about what equipment you can and can't use for shooting in the IDPA. You can down load a copy of those rules from their website, or you will recieve a rule book when you join, which you will have to do in order to shoot IDPA.
    I have never shot in an IDPA match, but I am interested. Naturally, I was curious if a membership was a requirement to compete. I did find somewhere where it stated that you can shoot your first match without joining, but to compete in a second (and subsequent) match you need to join.

Quote Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
    I have never shot in an IDPA match, but I am interested. Naturally, I was curious if a membership was a requirement to compete. I did find somewhere where it stated that you can shoot your first match without joining, but to compete in a second (and subsequent) match you need to join.
    I have been shooting in local matches for 10 years and have never joined.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I shoot IPSC matches all the time. I shoot in the single stack division and shoot what I carry ... a 1911. It's nice to shoot a clean round but I mostly shoot for practice. I'll burn 600 rds at a good shoot. I love the shoot houses.

Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

International Practical Shooting Confederation
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links