The Maiden Voyage

The Maiden Voyage

This is a discussion on The Maiden Voyage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After what seemed to be an eternity (4 weeks) My permit finally arrived. I have grown up around guns my whole life. I decided it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Maiden Voyage

The Maiden Voyage

After what seemed to be an eternity (4 weeks) My permit finally arrived.
    I have grown up around guns my whole life. I decided it was about time to get my permit so the waiting was rather painful.
    I have read people do the walmart walk, and figured ok, that seems ok.
    Instead, I got home and the wife wanted to take the kiddos to Ihop (Kids eat free on Thursdays)
    So holstered up, and walked out the door.
    It didn't feel too strange really, but I was mindful of it and made sure everything was good to go.
    After Dinner, we decided I needed my haircut and also all three kiddos, so headed over for that.
    The shirt I was wearing was a medium thin long sleeve t-shirt and it concealed fine. Even sitting in the barber chair, shirt was covering it fine.
    (The chair was open lower back and facing the others waiting for cuts)

All in all it went smooth....
    Still, everyday carry in all different circumstances I'll do my best to be mindful of the fact its there and ready.... Incase of a life
    threatening event.

It's good to be mindful of it, but try not to obsess over it. Fussing too much can actually draw attention to yourself.

Conversely, I'm always a little "hmmm" when people say "after a while you'll forget it's even there!". I make a point NOT to forget it's there for various reasons, primarily in case I need it!

Re: The Maiden Voyage

Nice write up. I will be making my maiden voyage soon. I guess I, like many before me, will have to just do it to get over the paranoia of thinking everybody can see my ccw.

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs

It is always a consideration due to the significance of the "item" coupled with the fact that sheep are skittish. Stay safe and concealed and you are good to go!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Congrats on a normal and 'safer' day...may you enjoy many more.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    It's good to be mindful of it, but try not to obsess over it. Fussing too much can actually draw attention to yourself.

Conversely, I'm always a little "hmmm" when people say "after a while you'll forget it's even there!". I make a point NOT to forget it's there for various reasons, primarily in case I need it!
    Good Point Alex :) I meant mindful as not forget its there. I have read a few times people saying they completely forget they have it... that just seems odd to me.
    I didn't fidget with it or anything... more or less being aware its there. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Congrats on a normal and 'safer' day...may you enjoy many more.
    Thank you

Congrats
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

VIP Member
    Just remember, no WW walk, no CC badge or sash!

Congrats on the permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwb View Post
    I didn't fidget with it or anything... more or less being aware its there. Does that make sense?
    Perfect sense.

Situational awareness is another important thing to adhere to. Be aware of your surroundings, who is there, where they are going, where the exits are (and the optimum routes to get there, taking cover/concealment into consideration) and the orientation of you and your firearm can all give you the edge in the event of a self-defense situation.

Congrats on getting your permit. Sounds like you've got the right attitude. It's always good to hear from people who are taking responsibility for their own safety seriously, and doing it safely and responsibly.

Congrats!! I take my CCDW class tomorrow- stoked! Not sure how long its taking in KY to get permit- we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by sauerpuss View Post
    Congrats!! I take my CCDW class tomorrow- stoked! Not sure how long its taking in KY to get permit- we shall see...
    nice, hope the class goes well. As far as the turn around time, it has been up in the air for some places. I'm in WA state, and I was hearing before recent shootings, wait time was around two weeks....
    My sister is a LEO and I talked to her and some of her co LEO's and the sheriff office has been slammed busy. It took mine 4 weeks.
    Hopefully your wait time isn't too long..... but, its worth the wait.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    BREAKING NEWS: a man walked into an IHOP carrying a gun today. Women and children were inches away from the gun. Nothing happened.

Welcome!

GH
    Welcome to the legal concealed carry crowd. Gotta love my barber - he posted a sign that reads "Firearms Welcome" , lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links