Have you had formal training outside of your mandated class?

This is a discussion on Have you had formal training outside of your mandated class? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a couple of advanced handgun courses beyond the initial CHL class, and plan to continue taking classes as funds permit....

View Poll Results: Have you had defense training (not just a ccw course).

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

102 56.04%
  • No

41 22.53%
  • I had Military/LEO training instead

39 21.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Have you had formal training outside of your mandated class?

I've had a couple of advanced handgun courses beyond the initial CHL class, and plan to continue taking classes as funds permit.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

My yes vote includes both military and LEO training, but also attendance in several other shooting courses on my own.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    CCW course is not required for Alabama
    Ditto.. but other courses have been taken.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

My brother helps a CHL instructor. The instructor is an ex swat guy who now trains a security squad at a govt facility. My brother gets private instruction which he then relays to me. We practice at my brother's range. In turn I teach my teenage daughters. I would trust them more than some others I know who have permits.
    Does this count ?
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Formal Training

Indiana doesn't require any training for your permit, but we have a great training firm in our area. I've taken several classroom workshops and shooting classes with them and learned a great deal. The best was a Force on Force class where we used simunition and had gunfights with bad guys. That'll get your heart pumping and your mind thinking. I'm going to take his tactical shotgun class this year.

Yes
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

CCW for 6 months so far.Two 8hr classes on defensive combat shooting.Plan on another 8hr in Spring another in Summer.Each class shows me how much more i need to train. Ive always loved shooting sports all my life, but defensive shooting training has become my most favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    I've been in other discussions where people think that two or three CC people having a gun in a theater would create a worse situation. My main argument against it is that those in the CC community actually take classes in defensive use of firearms because they recognize the responsibility of carrying one.

I was wondering however, if my premise was true. So do you?
    I wouldn't think that's the best argument you could have made. I don't think it's true, and doing a poll here on this forum isn't exactly going to give you any kind of representative sample. I would expect most people get a CHL, only because they have to, and then they carry a gun on their person as they go about their normal lives as usual. They'll likely never run into a situation where they'll need to use it. Most people recognize you don't need a lot of training to do that. BTW, what community are you talking about. There is no community. Just hundreds of thousands of ordinary folks going about their normal lives.

The fallacy of their argument is the same as just about every argument about guns. Here, they seem to presume that the average citizen is incompetent, irresponsible, and prone to going off shooting people randomly and indiscriminately at the slightest provocation. On the other hand, they presume the criminal is some sort of firearms joe pro that only a trained SWAT team could ever deal with. Reminds me of the infamous Dianne Sawyer college lecture room scenario. The shooter was actually an expert determinedly focused on one and only one armed student who as I recall had bulky gloves on or something. Real life scenarios demonstrate over and over just how fallacious and silly this line of "reasoning" is.

What's really going to happen? Gun goes off in a crowd, people are going to duck and scatter. Everyone but the shooter. He's standing straight up all by himself. In the midst of the chaotic scatter and ducking people, multiple people start shooting at the scumbag. It's over. Scumbag probably shoots himself right then if he's not dead already.
    surefire7 likes this.

Yes

Civilian and military.

30 Years active duty in USMC. Sniper training and sniper duty for three years. Fired on USMC pistol and rifle teams over the thirty year span.
    Attended the GUNSITE courses: Basic Handgun, Tactical Handgun and Tactical Shotgun during the late 70's and early 80s. 3 tours of Viet Nam 1963-1971, 6 years "in country"

I have some pretty strong feelings about the actual effectiveness of the majority of HCP (CCW) and LEOs with a handgun. The idea that just "packing iron" makes somebody ready for a real SD situation has the potential of being a death sentence, at both ends of the barrel.

Get all the training that you can afford and is available. It may not be perfect but ir is better than ignorance. Ignorance is not bliss in regards to a firearm. Ignorance is death.
    Last edited by wjh2657; January 26th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Mike1956, 9MMare, jibbr71 and 1 others like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Additional training
    Military and Police training
    The training I took for armed security was 60+ hrs. Not a large amount compared to the other training but it more than what I had for my first CCL.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    I wouldn't think that's the best argument you could have made. I don't think it's true, and doing a poll here on this forum isn't exactly going to give you any kind of representative sample. I would expect most people get a CHL, only because they have to, and then they carry a gun on their person as they go about their normal lives as usual. They'll likely never run into a situation where they'll need to use it. Most people recognize you don't need a lot of training to do that. BTW, what community are you talking about. There is no community. Just hundreds of thousands of ordinary folks going about their normal lives.

The fallacy of their argument is the same as just about every argument about guns. Here, they seem to presume that the average citizen is incompetent, irresponsible, and prone to going off shooting people randomly and indiscriminately at the slightest provocation. On the other hand, they presume the criminal is some sort of firearms joe pro that only a trained SWAT team could ever deal with. Reminds me of the infamous Dianne Sawyer college lecture room scenario. The shooter was actually an expert determinedly focused on one and only one armed student who as I recall had bulky gloves on or something. Real life scenarios demonstrate over and over just how fallacious and silly this line of "reasoning" is.

What's really going to happen? Gun goes off in a crowd, people are going to duck and scatter. Everyone but the shooter. He's standing straight up all by himself. In the midst of the chaotic scatter and ducking people, multiple people start shooting at the scumbag. It's over. Scumbag probably shoots himself right then if he's not dead already.
    I remember that Diane Sawyer farce.
    They used a police trained shooter against an untrained student.
    They put the student in the worst tactical position in a school room. They gave the shooter his location. After all this one of the students did manage a couple of hits. Like I said the entire exercise was a farce.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

I have had training in the past that was provided to me. Having been raised with guns had not that training in SD clearing buildings etc etc been provided to me I likely would not have spent a thousand dollars to have someone that may or may not have ever been involved in anything remotely resembling real life situations teach me tactics that may or may not be good tactics.
    That being said I think if one can afford it and can find a reputable training class it wouldnt hurt a thing to take it. Especially if they have no firearm background in the past.
    I do not however think that the majority of ccw carriers take specialized training courses in SD. Nor do I think that in itself makes them "not a responsible gun owner" or even helpless in SD situations. JMO

I have had both Military Training and Civilian training other than my CWP class.

I have had several 2-4 day courses, and I try to do that every other year or so. The price of ammo makes the course cost minimal.
    I certainly could use a lot more range time. This last year or two, I spent more time in the hospital than at the range. Hopefully, those days are done.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links