Permit To Carry--Is A Training Requirement Good?

This is a discussion on Permit To Carry--Is A Training Requirement Good? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cmidkiff How about requiring a demonstration of proper punctuation and grammer [sic] from anyone wishing to author an article in the press... ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Permit To Carry--Is A Training Requirement Good?

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    How about requiring a demonstration of proper punctuation and grammer [sic] from anyone wishing to author an article in the press...
    Interesting example, as the mere publication is demonstration. This can (perhaps should?) apply to the carrying of lethal weapons as well, in which the misuse is addressed, not the mere carrying. Hm.

Though, in point of fact, the "major" press has Editors who do exactly this. Can't prove you can handle the basics? Your stuff doesn't see the light of day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I'd be interested in where the carry community weighs in on this question. It doesn't come up much, so unless I missed a thread around here, this will be my first exposure to discussion around this question.

Is a requirement for training in order to get a permit to carry a good idea?

Or, on the other hand is it unnecessary, and merely another hoop we should not have to jump through in order to exercise our Second Amendment rights?

My opinion, which could change, is that training is a must in order to assure that those who carry can demonstrate elementary skill with a handgun. More importantly, I see that people must be schooled in the law regarding use of lethal force.

Edited to add: In MN, there is a training requirement, classroom time and a simple range qualification. I had a great instructor who did a wonderful job of impressing upon me the immense responsibility of carrying. Plus, coverage of laws surrounding prohibited areas for carry, posted locations and use of lethal force was good. So, my experience was positive, which may be driving my opinion.

This doesn't seem like too volatile an issue to casually discuss, so let me hear your opinion.
    I haven't read this entire thread, but was just having a similar conversation a couple of days ago and wanted to chime in - I hope I don't repeat anything that's already been said.

IMHO - Training, or demonstration of proficiency should absolutely be mandatory. In fact where I live, I think there is too little training requirement. I had to do a one day (8 hours if I remember correctly) course that focused on basic handgun safety, and home defense. I think that tactical scenarios as well as threat recognition and stress response should at least be discussed, if not drilled, and that concealment options, statutes and potential reprecussions of a shoooting should be covered in much more detail.

$0.02

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    My other issue is the "background check"--VA resident permit costs $50 (5 yr permit), but a PA permit costs $20....anyone?

NH - No training required. Fill out your permit and submit it to your local police. 5-7 buisness days later, granted your background check is clean, you recieve your CCW permit that is valid for 4 years. Cost?

$10

I don't want to see a training requirement for ANY CCW permit in the US. None. If you meet the requirements based on the background checks, you should be permitted to carry a concealed weapon. I'll certainly agree with Jeff's post earlier in the thread about the states and/or towns coming up with some type of training made available for free to each individual who obtains a permit. Make the training available, without cost, to everyone who obtains the permit but not mandate that training. The option should be there. I'd gladly pay another $10 for my permit knowing that others would have the opportunity to obtain some type of training after they received their permit.

Mandating is not the way to go IMHO.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    FWIW - I don't think one should be required, for much the same reason P95 listed. Where do we draw the line on restriction of our rights? However, I do think there should be some sort of test or demonstration to show you know how to handle a firearm and/or state laws (something you can retake until you get it right). Is that hipocritical? Maybe. Do I know how to better define what I mean? No. I am somewhat leary about this due to a previous thread about what people didn't like about their class.... I recall someone saying that a member of their class wanted a CCW so they could shoot their neighbor's dog or something to that effect...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    While a agree with the concept that everyone who obtains a CCW should be able the show some dergee of compancy with firearms from a safety standpoint (if mere to prevent them from blowing their foot off). We run the risk of giving our goverment at some point in the future of regulating the law out of existence. The don't have to make illegal they can just make it impossible.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if mere to prevent them from blowing their foot off
    To hell with them , if they have a nd and someone is hurt i sincerely hope it is them , not someone in the area who had no involvement except to be there .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I agree with these points - I guess my concern lies within the ability of Joe Knucklehead who's never held a gun before, to obtain and carry get a ccw (and obviously firearm) with little or no training. For those of us who have some degree of experience, I feel less strongly about it. It is for this group, that I suggested being able to demonstrate some level of competancy - IMO Joe Knucklehead needs more training than is required in CO.

Less concerned with their own safety than that of the GP.

I don't think training should be required (or permits either for that matter). It is the responsibility of the citizen to know the law. They are just requiring training as a feel good measure to generate more revenue for the state.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    NH - No training required. Fill out your permit and submit it to your local police. 5-7 buisness days later, granted your background check is clean, you recieve your CCW permit that is valid for 4 years. Cost?

$10

I don't want to see a training requirement for ANY CCW permit in the US. None. If you meet the requirements based on the background checks, you should be permitted to carry a concealed weapon. I'll certainly agree with Jeff's post earlier in the thread about the states and/or towns coming up with some type of training made available for free to each individual who obtains a permit. Make the training available, without cost, to everyone who obtains the permit but not mandate that training. The option should be there. I'd gladly pay another $10 for my permit knowing that others would have the opportunity to obtain some type of training after they received their permit.

Mandating is not the way to go IMHO.
    NONE! Yes training is good and I would hope and do encourage anyone who decides to carry to make the effort and go get that training. However, it should never be mandated or made a requirement. It's wrong in so many ways, I would need a few pages to post it all. It really just starts us moving in the wrong direction at the top of a very slippery slope. As to peaceful's "Free" idea...You all should be ashamed of yourselves, but I'll end with that as anything that mentions Taxes and FREE I'm going to go off ranting on.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    To hell with them , if they have a nd and someone is hurt i sincerely hope it is them , not someone in the area who had no involvement except to be there .
    Yes this is more of what I meant, not just a danger to themselves but to everyone else around them. I know most of us probaly have been at a public range were there was someone with no muzzle disclipne or had other dangerous habits. People who had no education with firearms but got a "gun 'cause its cool" or wanted to be a "bad a$$". I would like these people to be educated somehow with out risking my rights. Any suggestions?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I have no problem with the way that Texas does their's. It is a whole day of classroom instruction on the state laws and statues followed by a test and a proficiency test in your weapon. It is not cheap either the whole process is going to cost you about $250, and will take a couple of months from start to finish.
    You have no problem with the idea that there are some people who may want or need a concealed firearm and a license to carry it, but who can't easily come up with $250 on top of the cost of the gun? Why should it be so expensive? To keep out the poor, who shouldn't be able to have guns?

Senior Moderator
    I've got it, I know how to give everyone an education in proper handling of firearms......are you ready...... MANDATORY MILITARY SERVICE.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I've got it, I know how to give everyone an education in proper handling of firearms......are you ready...... MANDATORY MILITARY SERVICE.
    Makes perfect sense to me. Everyone gets training, they're already fingerprinted. The only extra thing needed would be a pamphlet or some sort of literature with the specific do's and dont's for that state.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Regulating rights is bad imo. It's great that people get the training, but let's be honest, did any of us really learn any kind of firearms safety from our CCW courses? We learned legalities and that's it.
    i agree 1000%

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Honestly, I would have gone kicking and screaming, but I still recognize now that if I'd had to do it, I'd have ended up better off.

I think it's an idea whose time has come. How long before we are going to have a national guard troop on every corner like in Israel, because our enemies are just all around us and able to enter the U.S. at will?

It's not hard to see that we are in desperate need of a toughening-up of our populace. Been fat and lazy and prosperous for far too long. Everyone thinks that every single thing that's needed is something they can HIRE OUT for, most noticeably protection. We can't last long at this rate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links