Hammer Cocked????

This is a discussion on Hammer Cocked???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fully cocked safety on. My 3" Kimber 1911 stays like that everywhere I go. In a heated situation you'll be behind the eight ball enough ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hammer Cocked????

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Hammer Cocked????

Fully cocked safety on. My 3" Kimber 1911 stays like that everywhere I go. In a heated situation you'll be behind the eight ball enough just having to thumb it off safe. You don't want to add cocking it too. Trust your safety mechanisms (safety lever and dovetail grip safety) or get something less involved to carry.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Since you are new to the 1911 platform I recommend you carry unloaded with hammer cocked and thumb safety engaged while you are around your house getting used to the idea of "toting". See if the thumb safety accidentally disengages. It shouldn't but this practice will give you peace of mind. The 1911 has redundant safeties and, for someone who fully understands the mechanics, is a very safe pistol for daily carry.
    This, my first carry gun was a 1911, I was leery of the safety and condition one just while I got use to the carrying aspect of it so in order to get the gunleather used to the position i carried unchambered and cocked, for a little bit. You will get used to it being a natural aspect of the weapon over time. I think nothing of carrying loaded any longer, it's proper adjustment to the fact that every gun is always loaded and how you put it on and take it off safely.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Train to disengage the safety whenever you remove it from the holster. Failure to disengage the thumb safety is the only "safety" concern you should have about cocked and locked.

If you're not comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked, and you're new to the gun, then maybe you should invest in a more advanced class than the basic CCW requirement one. There's a lot going on with the gun and a little more training is needed.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I intend to carry in condition 2 with a da/sa sig. Is that bad?

JD
    Administrator

Re: Hammer Cocked????

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    I intend to carry in condition 2 with a da/sa sig. Is that bad?
    That's not really conditon 2 as the gun can be fired with a pull of the trigger. In the Sig World, that would be the equivalent of Condition 1.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Re: Hammer Cocked????

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's not really conditon 2 as the gun can be fired with a pull of the trigger. In the Sig World, that would be the equivalent of Condition 1.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.
    Sounds about right.... No safety so a verbatim condition 1 is impossible. It's easier to understand the exact setup with the term condition 2

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I load my SIGs, rack 'em, and then decock.

1911, chambered and safety on. It's a familiarity deal. As you get used to it, you'll be fine.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Congrats on your new Rock,Great weapons!. I have a collection of them and Always carry Cocked and Locked ready to go. You`ll get used to it after awhile then it becomes normal to do so. Good Luck!.

<-- Locked and cocked. (for all the reasons others have said)
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

...cocked, locked, and fully loaded...in a holster that covers the trigger guard area...preferably one which has a safety strap that goes across the back of the slide UNDER the cocked hammer and snaps...then there's no worry no matter how active you are or carrying the gun/holster around, dropping it...etc...the grip safety, thumb safety, and leather strap all keep the firing pin from striking the primer...

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    What he said.. a 1911 is designed for it..
    +1 Exactly!

Administrator
    BEFORE YOU CARRY YOUR 1911 COCKED AND LOCKED....DROP THE MAGAZINE - UNLOAD YOUR FIREARM...CHECK THE CHAMBER FOR EMPTY.

and then GO HERE ~~~> http://www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm

Run a "step by step" function check on your firearm and make certain that everything on your 1911 is operating as it should.

You NEED to do that no matter how you decide to carry your firearm. So...DO IT!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry a 1911 type pistol 80% of the time, and always condition one, cocked and locked.

There are several safety features in place on these pistols to prevent a negligent discharge from rough handling or a high G force impact (dropping it).

There is the grip safety which prevents the trigger from moving if the gun is not held firmly. There is the thumb safety which prevents the sear from moving when engaged even if the grip safety is disengaged and the trigger pulled.

There is the half cock notch on the hammer, so even if the thumb safety was not engaged (and even if the grip safety were taped down to disable it) and you threw the gun in the air and hit it hard enough with a baseball bat to where the sear moved enough to drop the hammer, the half cock notch would capture the sear and prevent the hammer from dropping all the way.

On a properly set up series 70 type pistol, with no firing pin block, The firing pin should be light enough and the spring strong enough to keep the pin from striking the primer if dropped on concrete muzzle down.

On a series 80 type gun with a firing pin safety, the trigger must be pulled (meaning the grip safety is de-activated and the thumb safety is de-activated) in order for the firing pin block to be moved out of the way for the firing pin to be able to move at all.

So yea, while it seems scary at first to see a 1911 in a holster with the hammer back, there is over a century of thought and engineering keeping that hammer back until you pull the gun from the holster, grip if firmly, swipe the thumb safety off, and pull the trigger.

I will say, for me personally I wasn't totally comfortable with it till I figured out the function of the half cock notch. Been carrying em for going on 20 years now though.
    NRA Life Member

I carry a 1991A1 .45 compact......condition 1
    "If 10% is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam" Ray Stevens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links