Hammer Cocked????

This is a discussion on Hammer Cocked???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Morning Everybody I'm a new guy from Texas. Been wanting to take my CCL course and finally because of all the political crap I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hammer Cocked????

Hammer Cocked????

Good Morning Everybody

I'm a new guy from Texas. Been wanting to take my CCL course and finally because of all the political crap I went ahead and took my course last Saturday and now waiting for my license.

I'm not new to guns but fairly new to semi automatics. I have a Rock Island Armory 45 with 5" barrel. Shoots great...nice feel to it...and solid gun.

I'm practicing carrying around the house and yard to get the feel of carrying. I want to learn as much as I can about carrying I actually
    start carrying.

If my questions seem stupid that's ok...I had rather feel stupid and learn than not learn.

My question is: I read the poll on carrying with chamber loaded or not loaded. My question is: Do you carry with hammer down, hammer half cocked or hammer fully back with safety on. As I stated I'm fairly new to semi automatics and want to do everything safe.

Thanks

David

2. Remove Ads

Cocked and locked, always
    PAPADALE1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Cocked and locked, always
    What he said.. a 1911 is designed for it..

I know cocked and locked feels weird and unsafe at first, but it's the way God intended 1911's to be carried.
    PAPADALE1 and aus71383 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

That is one of the famous things about the 1911 the ability to carry cocked and locked, when I carry the 1911 cocked and locked is the way I go when I carry one of the stricker fire no safety models I don't carry it with one in the chamber and that is just me, most will tell you your brain is safety one and your finger is safety two. But I hope that if I have enough time to pull it out then racking a round in to the chamber with practice happens on the draw

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    The only stupid question is the one not asked. When I carried my 1911 it was always cocked and locked. You stated you are new to semi's so my first suggestion is to become very familiar with your newly acquired firearm and also maybe acquire additional training as well. As far as anyone being able to tell you to carry cocked and locked that is your decision and your decision alone. I know when I first started carrying my 1911 I had a period of time where I was only comfortable with the hammer down and safety on. As I spent more time at the range shooting and then carrying it around the house in the per se cocked and locked method (with the safety engaged) I made the transition a little more smoothly. You will find that there is a wealth of information in this forum and that there are many here who will help you any way they can. I must say of all the sites I have been on this is the best group of gals and guys that I have found yet. I hardly visit the other sites anymore for this reason. Good luck and before I forget, Welcome to the forum .
    Kimberpackn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I carry all my 1911's in condition 1. This means 1 in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety ON! Thats the way the 1911 was designed to be carried, besides, I cant throw bricks very far anymore.

BTW ... Welcome to the DC forums.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I understand the "way it's designed to work" but L&C makes me uneasy also. I guess it's a matter of building confidence, but I prefer the DA/SA of my S&W 3rd gens. On teh other hand, I don't think twice about my Glock being chambered. Maybe it's just that "hammer back" thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Since you are new to the 1911 platform I recommend you carry unloaded with hammer cocked and thumb safety engaged while you are around your house getting used to the idea of "toting". See if the thumb safety accidentally disengages. It shouldn't but this practice will give you peace of mind. The 1911 has redundant safeties and, for someone who fully understands the mechanics, is a very safe pistol for daily carry.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

VIP Member
    Since your carrying a 1911, round chambered, hammer cocked safety engaged. Before doing so though, read the attached thread and do the function check first. REMEMBER, DO NOT perform the function check with gun loaded!

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK
    Rcher likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes, all day every day.

I agree with all of the other posters who support carrying in "condition 1". That's how the 1911 was designed to be carried.

My primary carry gun is an H&K, and I prefer it to be "cocked and locked" all the time as well. Unless I have it out for training, practice, or cleaning, it's loaded to capacity +1 (that's the round in the chamber) with the hammer back and the thumb safety engaged. With that said, I spent a lot of time on the range (and at home with an unloaded and twice-cleared gun with all ammunition locked in a separate room) developing the muscle memory associated with "Firing grip - safety wiped off" and "Coming out of firing grip - safety engaged".

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I understand the "way it's designed to work" but L&C makes me uneasy also. I guess it's a matter of building confidence, but I prefer the DA/SA of my S&W 3rd gens. On teh other hand, I don't think twice about my Glock being chambered. Maybe it's just that "hammer back" thing.
    I agree with this. I look for the double action/single action for carry weapon. If gives me the security with still having the ready to fire gun.

Some say a safety is dangerous. If you do enough research it will show in a panic situation your motor skills deteriate and your thought process focuses on the threat not the solution. That being said in a true panic mode to pull your weapon and to have the thought process to disengage the safety will be hard enough then you have to over come the motor skills part.

VIP Member
    mlsa3. First welcome to the forum.

As has already been stated the 1911 platform is made to be carried with the hammer back and the thumb safety on. In order to fire you have to depress the grip safety, manually disengage the thumb safety and then purposefully pull the trigger.

While it may seem safer to carry with the hammer down or on half cock if you use this method with a round in the chamber it is entirely possible that while manually cocking the hammer all it would take is one slip or moment of inattention and the hammer could slip out from under your thumb and the weapons would/could discharge.

Get some training and continue to wear the gun around the house and you will find that with a decent holster the safety does not come off by itself or the hammer get bumped and fall. If you think about it even the striker fired guns, Glock, M&P and so on, are carried in a locked and cocked condition even though they do not have an external hammer they are still cocked internally and do not have an external manual safety, per say.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I carry my RIA 1911 in condition one, the way it was meant to be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links