This sherrif know the reponsibility of LEO.

This is a discussion on This sherrif know the reponsibility of LEO. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. says personal safety is no longer a spectator sport. "People are responsible to play a role in their own ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: This sherrif know the reponsibility of LEO.

This sherrif know the reponsibility of LEO.

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. says personal safety is no longer a spectator sport.

"People are responsible to play a role in their own safety, with the help of law enforcement," Clarke said. "I'm here to do my part, but we have fewer and fewer resources. We're not omnipresent, and we have to stop giving people that impression."

This is why most of us choose to carry.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Well there's a saying for that ... "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy"
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member

Thumbs up More on story

Wis. sheriff: 911 no longer best option

January 26, 2013

Wis. sheriff: 911 no longer best option

He announced Friday that law enforcement cutbacks have changed the way police can respond to crime

By Amy Forliti
    Associated Press

MILWAUKEE, Wis. A sheriff who released a radio ad urging Milwaukee-area residents to learn to handle firearms so they can defend themselves while waiting for police said Friday that law enforcement cutbacks have changed the way police can respond to crime.

In the 30-second commercial, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. says personal safety is no longer a spectator sport.

"I need you in the game," he says.

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," he adds. "You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. ... Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there."

SNIP
    Also check Office of the Sheriff to hear the actual "public safety message."

Sheriff Clarke
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

A cop publicly telling it like it is. How novel!

I like the fact that he is not advocating everyone get a gun which is where the mayor was going. He is advocating safe handling and training courses. That shows me that he knows his constituency better than the mayor.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Is this the same guy who same he would put open carriers face down on the ground until he determined if they had the right to carry? Or was that the police chief?

Quote from sheriff:

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," he adds. "You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. ... Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there."

I hate to be the one to have to break the news to the sheriff but calling 911 and waiting was never a good option.

At least he has apparently seen the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    Is this the same guy who same he would put open carriers face down on the ground until he determined if they had the right to carry? Or was that the police chief?
    That was the City of Milwaukee Police Chief.

Sheriff Clark took heat from the same knee jerk liberals a few weeks ago when he recommended putting armed officers in schools.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    There is a very big difference in being proactive and to being reactive and this Sheriff makes a very good point of that fact. Police agencies are not to "Protect and Serve", as many departments claim, they are here to uphold the law. It is, IMO, imperative that we all take every precaution to provide a means of self protection, a cop 10 to 20 minutes away is not a means of immediate protection. My protections weighs just 24 oz. at a one time cost of $600 and, hopefully, will be of help until the cop arrives 20 minutes latter after I have the time or chance to call 911.

"Protect and Serve" - yes, I think that is a proper motto for the LEOs. But it's been misunderstood for too long. They protect and serve the community as a whole, not each individual. They protect the community by reducing the criminal's desire and ability through patrols and education, and ideally reduce the criminal population by catching them once they've done something bad. Too many think that the LEOs are there to protect their individual home and person - not gonna happen, there will never be enough officers, and frankly, we don't want there to be that many officers.

That said, kudos to Sheriff Clarke for telling it like it is.
    38special and Pistology like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    That was the Police Chief of the City of Milwaukee, Qtip. He's generally a good chief, tough on crime, good with his Officers (my son is one of them) but as all political appointees he has to follow the feelings of his masters. Sheriff Clarke is the head LEO of Milwaukee County. His department basically patrols the suburbs that need their own PDs augmented,the freeway system & runs the County Jail. I couldn't be prouder of him.
    DaveH likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    ...as all political appointees he has to follow the feelings of his masters.
    YUP.

The pattern of appointed CoP supporting control / prohibition v. elected Sheriffs supporting the RKBA is fairly common. In Virginia it tends to also follow the urban v. rural pattern (with suburbia / exurbia falling in between).
    Last edited by DaveH; January 26th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In today's political environment, I have to applaud this guy for standing up for the truth.

He speaks the truth...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kudos to the sheriff but it sure took a long time for one to actually say it. Fact is police catch bad guys, hopefully. A BG isnt a BG until he or she has done something to earn the label BG. If its a violent BG then that person has obviously commited a violent crime to get the label violent BG, before the police are going to be trying to catch him or her. That errrr sort of means there was a victim someplace in the mix at the start who either defended themselves and the BG got away or are probably being loaded into a hearse while the PD starts their investigation. Not knocking LE. Its simple logistics and common sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links