Defensive Carry banner

Texas CHL waiting time

137K views 275 replies 102 participants last post by  Texas Red 
#1 ·
Has anyone gotten thier TX CHL recently? How long did it take? Submitted mine two weeks ago and have not seen anything on the DPS sight about receiving the paperwork yet.

#97 ·
I know others have since contacted the DPS and waiting times seems to have gotten longer. I sent my paperwork at the same time as my brothers. He was able to view his info online about a week after mailing, whereas my info showed nothing. I gave them a call and they confirmed they had everything they needed. Two days later it was in the "background" phase and then the "manufacture pending," and finally "mailed." He ultimately got his mid-September because he had to clear an issue from when we were living in Hawaii while my dad was stationed at Hickam AFB. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because it took 17 days total. This was all done August 2013.

I can't imagine it taking a full year. Best of luck for those currently waiting!

Cheers :beerchug:from S.A.

#106 ·
Mailed mine in on December 2, 2013.

Just checked:

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending

#108 ·
My wife's friend it took only 4 weeks. When I applied it was about 6-7 weeks (applied mid Jan 2013 received CHL late Feb early Mar)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

#109 ·
My wife and I sent off our full applications on December 15th, 2013. When we go to check the site as of today, February 12th, 2014, we still get:

License Status: Application processed online. Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once the application and materials have been received by Concealed Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

I've received an e-mail from them saying "We have received all the materials, etc."

Seems like a long wait just to get a piece of plastic with your photo on it. :)

~ Jeff

#115 ·
just randomly checked my status on the dps website and it says its in the mail!!!!!! i had almost forgotten (not really :mad: ) and figured why not, ill check it and be let down again.. and boom! i mailed my stuff in the 3rd of January and should have it this week i guess, being i live like 10 miles from the capital.

#119 ·
I mailed paperwork in for my Bride and me on Jan. 19. It appeared that times were averaging 9-10 so I figured I had a two or three more weeks to wait but checked anyway today. Status: MAILED! It arrived in yesterday's mail but I had not gone to the box yet. Bride's also says MAILED so it will probably come in today's mail.
Took right at seven weeks. Happy camper here!

#122 ·
Chl 2016?

Has anyone applied for a CHL lately?

I submitted all required paperwork 01/18/16 and received confirmation via email that documents were received by state on 01/20/16. Its now March 1st and the CHL website for status has not updated. I sent an email via a link to follow up and still dont have a response. Tried calling but when you get through the automated phone tree it states they are busy and cant help you send an email or check the FAQ.

For those of you that have applied recently how long was the process. I know the old standard was 4-6 weeks but that was before the open carry law went into effect and everyone rushed to get a CHL.

#123 ·
Has anyone applied for a CHL lately?

I submitted all required paperwork 01/18/16 and received confirmation via email that documents were received by state on 01/20/16. Its now March 1st and the CHL website for status has not updated. I sent an email via a link to follow up and still dont have a response. Tried calling but when you get through the automated phone tree it states they are busy and cant help you send an email or check the FAQ.

For those of you that have applied recently how long was the process. I know the old standard was 4-6 weeks but that was before the open carry law went into effect and everyone rushed to get a CHL.
Current wait time is 6 - 8 weeks.

My wife submitted everything on 1/23 so the earliest we are expecting it is 3/5 but I'm guessing it will be closer to 3/19.

Mine took 46 days mailbox to mailbox but that was back in 2012.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

#124 ·
I've been trying to check the status of my wife's LTC application online but there is no status listed like they use to have when I sent in my application back in 2012. They received the last piece of information on 1/23 and I have an email confirmation that they received it. It has been 6 weeks and there is no change to the status online...not even a list of items received.

Under license application status it says, "If you have a pending License to Carry a Handgun application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required."

Is there anyone here who has applied lately and seen status updates on the website?

#125 ·
We are about on the same time frame and had the same result from the website. My wife called and finally got thru after a 55 minute wait. What a waste of time that was. The hotel she spoke with confirmed the date they received our paperwork and the current estimate was 60 days from the date of the email. She said it shouldn't be much longer but no other info. That was 3 days ago and still nothing.

The consensus is to just wait until it comes in.

Cliff

#126 ·
I'm glad to hear that it's gotten better.

Eight years ago when I applied, I was told that "by law" the DPS had to issue the license within 90 days.

It took 6 months. Almost to the day. They claimed they "had a backlog of applications." OK, then work overtime or hire additional people.

I don't recall reading that they fined themselves for being so slow. And they sure as heck didn't refund the expensive application fee. But then, I've come to expect incompetence and rock bottom poor service from the TX state gummint. Except for collecting property taxes. They aren't slow or inefficient at that.

#129 ·
They must be really busy. Probably passed the 1 million mark by now..... My neighbor just presently got his. Around 2 months.
I got mine right after my 60th birthday. 1/2 price..... Sent it through snail mail. 11 days mailbox to mailbox. My son in laws took forever so I sent mine in resigned to forget about it. Was shocked when it arrived.

#131 ·
Don't know if it is still the same but if I recall, if there is a link on the chl site to "report lost or stolen licence" that means you have been approved and should arrive soon.
Link not there until approved.

#133 ·
The only selectable options it shows after logging in is "apply for instructor certification" and "log out"

This is what it says:

Choose Service

LICENSE APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending License to Carry a Handgun application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required.

Start Application
Select the application you would like to complete at this time.

Apply for Instructor Certification (to teach LTC courses)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.