Defensive Carry banner

Texas CHL waiting time

137K views 275 replies 102 participants last post by  Texas Red 
#1 ·
Has anyone gotten thier TX CHL recently? How long did it take? Submitted mine two weeks ago and have not seen anything on the DPS sight about receiving the paperwork yet.

#144 ·
AFAIK, the only change you might see if you check everyday is those links I mentioned. And that only happens once you are approved..... Maybe you could do that and let us know if you see the change and how long after you get yours in the mail.

#149 ·
Anxiety grows with anticipation, doesn't matter what your waiting for. Make sure you spend some time preparing for whatever it is your waiting for, so when it happens, you're that much more prepared to responsible for whatever it is, from a new pet to a CCL.

#153 ·
Wow, I didn't know the wait time had become so long. I have already applied on line and completed my finger prints on 03/14/16. I take the class on 03/19/16. I was hoping by applying before hand and completing the fingerprints that it would expedite the process.

#157 ·
When I got mine in 2010, it took 109 days and they had a lot of applicants at that time. I know that it seems like forever but it's worth the wait. Hang in there.
Btw, it didn't seem like they updated their website often back then either, but when they did, the timing was accurate.

#162 ·
Just completed, passed and submitted my paperwork for my LTC. My instructor said the wait was upwards of 60 days. There are only 3 people in the office that handle the applications. Now the hard part begins.

#168 ·
My wife and I sent all of our info in with the application on 1/13 via the website. We each got emails on 1/21 stating that they had received all of our paperwork and to allow 6 weeks for processing.

The 6 weeks is a joke because when we called at the end of that time, they told us it should have said 60 days. That time has come and gone too and still nothing.

Cliff

#169 ·
Any early December applicants still waiting for a TX LTC?
LTC class completed 12/7/14
Fingerprints Submitted 12/10/15
Supplemental docs confirmation from RDS 12/10/15
So that's 107 days as of this post. Of course the RDS doesn't answer phones or emails. Also, the check status page added the options for me to report license stolen, change address, etc somewhere in mid February. Help!

#172 · (Edited)
Wow, sounds like you were approved..... Keep trying to get through to them is what I would do. I would be a little concerned as it seems the only indicator of approval has long past. Best of luck to you...
ETA: seems to me you really need to verify with them when and if your card was mailed. I have read a couple of accounts where USPS have been the ones dropping the ball.... Also read once you verify the mailing date with them, 30 days from that date before they will resend.... Just what I've read elsewhere.

#171 ·
Last I saw, They are way behind in processing applications. Being short staffed doesn't help. TexasCHL forum is reporting that they are still processing late December apps.

In 2013, mine took 80 calender days from submitting supporting documents by email
to plastic in hand.

#179 ·
72 days and counting for my wife's license.

Spoke with our State Representative today and have been informed that the licensing department use to receive about 15,000 applications per month and now they are receiving over 50,000 applications per month.

Wife's application has been expedited for issuance of her license.

I'll keep you posted when online status changes and when license is received.

Reactions: nlyric
#180 ·
What's ridiculous is that these licenses cost money, so adding staff is paid for by the increased app volume. An increase of 35k per month means they're bringing in another $4.9M per month. It can't take that long to train someone to process an app. The background checks may be bogged down, but they are sent to the county level, so they get spread out.

Leave it up to the government to wait too long to add help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.