Defensive Carry banner

Texas CHL waiting time

137K views 275 replies 102 participants last post by  Texas Red 
#1 ·
Has anyone gotten thier TX CHL recently? How long did it take? Submitted mine two weeks ago and have not seen anything on the DPS sight about receiving the paperwork yet.

#6 ·
FWIW, earlier today I did attempt to check status on my own renewal. Logged in and
couldn't find it.

Went to the portion of the site where you can ask a question and we will see what happens
in a few days.

Maybe its just me, and perhaps I didn't see something I should have, but it looked like after
login I was back on the make an application page-- though they long ago took my money.

I'm not complaining. Stuff happens and last time around it took almost 6 months from start to
finish. So if they beat that time by half I'll be happy. Just hope nothing got lost in the mail.

#10 ·
40 days Box to Box. Submitted just prior to Christmas

Yea, it's frustrating waiting for your status to change, but once it changes, it goes pretty quickly. They process and change status's based on date received. Therefore, they likely have your info, they're just not working on the date your paperwork was received yet.

Good luck!

#12 ·
I mailed my CHL 100 and "bar code trace" on Jan 7 or 8. Two weeks + later, status had not changed.
I used their contact system and got an automated reply that I would hear back in 2-5
business days. I never did.

I sent another inquiry and complained that I had not gotten a response to my first. To this they
responded that my status was changed, as they got my materials on FEB 6. DUH--- 1 month for mail
to reach them, no way.

They told me that I didn't need to do anything further and that I should expect the 45 days to run
from Feb. 6.

By not processing what they received in a timely manner my renewal will now come about 4 weeks
after my present license expires.

I know they are swamped, but there really shouldn't have been a delay of almost a month until they
got around to noticing that they had received the CHL 100; and then only because I asked about the status
twice.

So-- how long? In my case it seems it will be from Jan 7 or 8 when I mailed the CHL 100 to last
week of March, or 3 months; and that is if nothing gets botched and they don't come back and want
new photos or new prints for some inexplicable reason. YMMV

@ Yoda who wrote, "I remember when it used to be 90 days." I think that is what I am actually looking at now.

Thank you Governor and Legislature for underfunding everything starting with our schools.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#14 ·
#16 ·
Don't sweat it. It took about 3 weeks for the website to indicate they had received my packet. After that it takes about another week or two till the license hits the mail. I'm expecting mine any day now. So all in all about 5 weeks for me.

#17 ·
Several things can create delays. If you have lived or worked in more than one city in the past 5 years, they need to check all of those jurisdictions when they do the background check. If you lived in another state during that time, it takes even longer. If any blips on your record, expect even longer.

Mine took about two months, but I mailed mine, have had jobs in three cities in Dallas, Denton and Collin county in the past 5 years, and have some minor record blips. With no record, one place of residence and employment for the last 5 years, it can be much quicker.

#19 ·
It also depends on the results from your anal probe...if that comes back "inconclusive" and they require a "thorough evaluation" then stock up on lidocaine and a towel to bite on hehe... :buttkick:

Seriously though, remember that this is a shall issue state and they have to find a valid reason to not give you a CHL, not a reason why they don't think you deserve one. There are no "how much did you donate to Baca/Bloomberg/O'Malley" games going on and the DPS doesn't make the law on anything, especially CHLs.

#20 ·
You young CHL whipper snappers amuse me ... I laugh at your 40 days. Now back my day, in the midst of the first BHO scare in the spring of '09, mailed 4/19, back in mail box on 8/19 to the day ... 120 days, that's 4 months for you yungins ... yep, I 'member like it was yesterday.

#22 ·
We were told upfront in our CHL class to start the renewal process six months out from the expiration date, which would leave a little wiggle room. Sounds like he was right! I'll remember that.

Hope you get yours soon!
saa.

#23 ·
"You young CHL whipper snappers amuse me..."

So in 1909 it took four months... See how digital work has increased production?

(When you started with "whipper snappers" you had to expect that! :) All in good fun.)
saa.

#24 ·
Got it. OK, mailed Jan 7 or 8, received Feb. 28; don't trust my math but that is ca. 51 days
including time for the mail to go back and forth, so they probably did handle it within the required
45 days.

It would have gone well except for the failure to properly keep the status updated and promptly respond
to inquiries. It was indeed irksome when I was told it would be 45 days from Feb. 4.

Good luck everyone.

#26 ·
CHL Process time

My husband and I took our class at the beginning of February, and submitted it a day or 2 after. We are still waiting! They told us it would take up to 8 weeks! We are now seeing our information online, but still show the background check as "under review" and application as "received". This status has been on there about 2 weeks. All in all we have been waiting 79 DAYS! They told us that there was a huge amount of people trying to get their CHL license and it has clogged up the normal wait time. Hopefully we will have our license in the next couple of weeks. The waiting is unbelievable!! Good luck... you have a ways to go.

#27 ·
My husband and I took our class at the beginning of February, and submitted it a day or 2 after. We are still waiting! They told us it would take up to 8 weeks! We are now seeing our information online, but still show the background check as "under review" and application as "received". This status has been on there about 2 weeks. All in all we have been waiting 79 DAYS! They told us that there was a huge amount of people trying to get their CHL license and it has clogged up the normal wait time. Hopefully we will have our license in the next couple of weeks. The waiting is unbelievable!! Good luck... you have a ways to go.
Mine sat at "received" for probably 4 weeks all told and 5 days of "mailed" after that. All in all I think it took about 8 1/2 weeks I believe. I turned it in around January 25ish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.