Another good guy wins!

Another good guy wins!

This is a discussion on Another good guy wins! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...ry-west-athens...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Chrischandler71
  • 2 Post By ruso
  • 1 Post By chiefs-special-guy

Thread: Another good guy wins!

New Member Array Chrischandler71's Avatar
    PAPADALE1 and tony1990 like this.

After reading the article, I found myself left feeling called to do something to help this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2013-01-24/armed-wheelchair-bound-homeowner-thwarts-burglary-west-athens
    Im having a hard enough time dealing with whats been going on since the burglary, he said. Now its going to cost me a bunch of money that I really dont have to get that door fixed.
    Who would be willing to join me in collecting a few dollars to help Mr. Sikes repair the damage to his front door? It would only take a few minutes to set up a PayPal or Kickstarter fundraising account. Being unemployed, I don't have much, but $5 or $10 from decent number of people should help cover the cost of repairing the damage. Besides me, who's in?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    After reading the article, I found myself left feeling called to do something to help this guy.

Who would be willing to join me in collecting a few dollars to help Mr. Sikes repair the damage to his front door? It would only take a few minutes to set up a PayPal or Kickstarter fundraising account. Being unemployed, I don't have much, but $5 or $10 from decent number of people should help cover the cost of repairing the damage. Besides me, who's in?
    Aye, I'm in if I can be assured it will get to him.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Aye, I'm in if I can be assured it will get to him.
    I've contacted the Athens Banner-Herald, but according to the gentleman who answered, I probably won't hear anything back until Monday. I'll keep you all posted.

New Member Array Chrischandler71's Avatar

Another good guy wins!

I am in.. Let me know

GH
    Good job, Mr. Sykes! I'd expect nothing less from a Vet.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    I would also help if we are assured he gets the money.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    this sounds like a better use of my meager resources than beer and the other stuff i buy.
    smolck likes this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Let us know. If the paper is sympathetic, we could probably mail checks to him there.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I wrote to the reporter. He replied,
    "I'm not at the office so don't have Mr. Sikes' contact info, but if you check out the follow up I wrote in today's paper Online Athens | Georgia News, Digital Advertising, Athens Banner-Herald Newspaper, UGA Bulldogs you'll see he's been we'll taken care of thanks to concerned people like yourself."
    The link he gave from home was the paper's generic page; here's the article: Disabled vet overwhelmed by offers after home in west Athens burglarized | Online Athens

Great story. If he needs more funds, count me in as long as we can be sure he gets it.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Ok guys... I received a response back from the reporter:

Quote Originally Posted by joe.johnson@onlineathens.com
    Hey Ryan,
    If you read my follow-up story in today's paper Online Athens | Georgia News, Digital Advertising, Athens Banner-Herald Newspaper, UGA Bulldogs you'll see he' been well taken care of thanks to concerned folks like yourself.
    Best Regards,
    Joe
    It appears that he has had a huge amount of support since the incident. Even a local bike shop has scheduled a ride in appreciation of Mark:

https://www.facebook.com/CycleWorldOfAthens

Although he's probably in good shape in regards to fixing the damage made to his home, I'm sure a few extra bucks would be of benefit for him. Maybe he could have a nice security system installed or something. I'd still like to at least send him a message of appreciation for his services to our country and for simply being a model citizen who exercised his 2nd Amendment rights, so I plan on responding to Joe in regards to contacting Mark.

I received a message back from the reporter with the contact information for Mr. Sikes. If anyone would like to contact him directly, send me a private message and I'll be glad to give it to you. Thanks!

Sponsored Links