Kentucky, "Shall Issue" and What happens at 90 days? - Page 2

Kentucky, "Shall Issue" and What happens at 90 days?

This is a discussion on Kentucky, "Shall Issue" and What happens at 90 days? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cardnation All clear now? Yeah sure, except the part about why the Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. filled out... what?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kentucky, "Shall Issue" and What happens at 90 days?

Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    All clear now?
    Yeah sure, except the part about why the Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. filled out...what?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I disagree, If his county wants to fill our the app for him, they better damn make sure they do it right! I doubt the OP would have filled out his own SS# wrong. Whether is the County, the State or anybody else his permit should be in his hands within the limit. If the County screwed up it should be their responsibility to have the app expedited along so that it's in his hands on time. This is the exact reason VA law states if you don't have it in your hands by the 45 days (our limit) then your payment receipt become your permit. As I said in the previous post, any other system allows them to bounce around blame at the applicants expense and start that clock over for themselves. Do mistakes happen? Sure. But if it wasn't the applicants mistake, he shouldn't have to pay for it.
    I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue, but the fact is that neither the state of Kentucky nor the Kentucky State Police is going to take responsibility for the mistakes of a county. They will not issue a concealed carry permit to an applicant who provided the incorrect social security number...regardless of who's fault it was and the state of Kentucky does not recognize payment receipts as a CCDW license.

From KSP: "The processing time for each application will vary. It depends on different circumstances, such as background checks or whether the application was submitted correctly." The application was not submitted correctly therefor it can't be processed.

Yeah sure, except the part about why the Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. filled out...what?
    This. Why is anyone but you filling out such an important document? It really does sound like you may have to do quite a bit of legwork to track this one down. What's in your favor is that KY is very pro-CCDW, and I'd be surprised if you can't eventually sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    This. Why is anyone but you filling out such an important document? It really does sound like you may have to do quite a bit of legwork to track this one down. What's in your favor is that KY is very pro-CCDW, and I'd be surprised if you can't eventually sort it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Believe me I feel the same way. Like I said I even asked 'politely' if i could fill it out. This is apparently the normal procedure for JCSO.

I'm not sure why some of you guys are so on the offensive here? What was I to do? Cause a scene at the Sheriffs office while I'm asking them to submit my paperwork to carry a gun? That didn't seem like a good idea at the time and still doesn't seem like a good idea.

Your situation just sounds....weird, especially given the more common experience from others in the Commonwealth. Don't take it as aggression. We're digging around an odd-sounding situation. Something doesn't sound right, and digging for more info often clarifies.

Would I cause a scene? No. Would I let someone else fill out the form? No. But then again, I wasn't there in a Sheriff's office, just trying to get things done properly. So it's easy for me to imagine what I'd do.

If you can get the Sheriff's department on your side, things should go smoother. That's what I meant by legwork...face-to-face requests are so much more effective.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I'm not sure why some of you guys are so on the offensive here? What was I to do? Cause a scene at the Sheriffs office while I'm asking them to submit my paperwork to carry a gun? That didn't seem like a good idea at the time and still doesn't seem like a good idea.
    I don't think we are. I think we all pretty much agree that somehow you got the dirty end of the stick. Or at least that is how I see it anyway. Based on some recent east-Hell stories, I thought you may have been in Jackson county. One of friends renewed in Jackson county. While he did, after a lengthy mess, got his renual license, it had the wronf picture on it. He has been working on getting this straightened out for 3 months. Currently the Jackson county Sheriff's office is mostly held togather by a thread and investigations are surrently underway.

I am not fussing at you and I truly wish I could help. I am just amazed that a county like Jefferson would be so ill-informed or take such gross measures. Looks to me like you done every thing right and the fault lies with the JCSO. As mentioned above, perhaps a Attorny would be in order at this point. Not as a battering ram but something to indicate your sincerity to get the matter resolved in short order.

I truly wish you the best my friend.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I don't think we are. I think we all pretty much agree that somehow you got the dirty end of the stick. Or at least that is how I see it anyway. Based on some recent east-Hell stories, I thought you may have been in Jackson county. One of friends renewed in Jackson county. While he did, after a lengthy mess, got his renual license, it had the wronf picture on it. He has been working on getting this straightened out for 3 months. Currently the Jackson county Sheriff's office is mostly held togather by a thread and investigations are surrently underway.

I am not fussing at you and I truly wish I could help. I am just amazed that a county like Jefferson would be so ill-informed or take such gross measures. Looks to me like you done every thing right and the fault lies with the JCSO. As mentioned above, perhaps a Attorny would be in order at this point. Not as a battering ram but something to indicate your sincerity to get the matter resolved in short order.

I truly wish you the best my friend.
    Thank you for the encouragement. From your story it does sound like it could be worse.

At this point I've done all I can go, having submitted the proper paperwork for the correction. However its frustrating knowing that they still have not logged my change yet, two weeks after I discovered the issue.

Now I will begin calling every Mon, Wed, Fri to check the status until they tell me its been issued. I just think its absurd that a tax paying law abiding citizen has to go through so much trouble for something like this. I mean my ONLY brush with the law is a speeding ticket about 7+ years ago.

Fayette County Clerk filled out the form for my wife and I both then handed them to us to review. Can't recall if we were asked to sign it anywhere.

Edit added: On my wifes certificate her name was listed incorrectly ( her maiden name became her legal middle name in NJ when we were married). But the certificate had both her first name and middle names appearing in the first name space. The clerk said it was up to my wife, request a corrected certificate or submit as is then see if anyone at the state police rejected it. She decided to take a chance and submit it as is and the clerk was willing to add a handwritten note explaining the mistake and that she had verified the name on my wife's drivers license was correct. So far still waiting on both our ccdw flash packs its been less than a month I think.

Update

I wanted to give an update with how this situation turned out for those that may be interested.

After much feedback, I began calling every other business day to ask for an update. I will say the KSP folks were very pleasant to work with.

It took just under three weeks for my change of information request to be processed (2/4/13). Then 3 days for the background check to go through (completed and mailed 2/7/13) . I received my "flash pack" on 2/9/12.

I'm happy to report I did not have to find out what happens on day 90.

Thank you to all those that volunteered feedback.
    Aceoky and Diddle like this.

Kentucky, "Shall Issue" and What happens at 90 days?

my KY permit was done correctly and took well over 90 days to get back from Richmond.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I wanted to give an update with how this situation turned out for those that may be interested.

After much feedback, I began calling every other business day to ask for an update. I will say the KSP folks were very pleasant to work with.

It took just under three weeks for my change of information request to be processed (2/4/13). Then 3 days for the background check to go through (completed and mailed 2/7/13) . I received my "flash pack" on 2/9/12.

I'm happy to report I did not have to find out what happens on day 90.

Thank you to all those that volunteered feedback.
    Congratulations! Glad all things worked out for you. And hat's off for following up and letting us know the final outcome.
    cardnation and Aceoky like this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    my KY permit was done correctly and took well over 90 days to get back from Richmond.
    I just received my flashpak today no errors no problems nothing in background to cause delay took 127 days from time i sent application in at sheriffs office and license will not be available for pickup for 7 more days 134 days total 90 days my behind. When i called ksp several times they told me i will get it when i get it. And thye refused to address my question when i asked them about the 90 day rule. She again only repied i will get it when i get it.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    I,too, live in Louisville Ky and the lady at the sheriff's office also filled out spaces on the paper work. However, when she asked for my SS number I asked her to slide me the paper so I could put that down myself, did not want to say it out loud in a roomfull of people.

Quote Originally Posted by motox369 View Post
    I just received my flashpak today no errors no problems nothing in background to cause delay took 127 days from time i sent application in at sheriffs office and license will not be available for pickup for 7 more days 134 days total 90 days my behind. When i called ksp several times they told me i will get it when i get it. And thye refused to address my question when i asked them about the 90 day rule. She again only repied i will get it when i get it.
    Don't bet on that, I bet it was there the day you got your flashpack (today) they say "on or around" for a reason LOL But from what I can figure they mail them out the same day so they usually arrive the same day (even when SO is another town) Call the SO tomorrow and go pick it up and congratulations !!!
    Ghost1958 likes this.

So here I am only a few weeks from the 90 days, and I'm being told it will be a "few weeks" before they even get to the correct information and run the background checks.

Since Kentucky is a "shall issue" state, something has to be done and the KRS states it be done "within 90 days".
    90 days from receipt of complete information sufficient to process the application. Gotta give them that, at least.

Which should mean that "a few weeks" shouldn't be seen as outrageous, even if it happens to result in your originally-incomplete application going over the 90 days.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links