should i buy the taurus Judge - Page 2

should i buy the taurus Judge

This is a discussion on should i buy the taurus Judge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the Smith & Wesson Govenor and its great. I mix 45 long colt and Winchester 410 with three discs and 12 bb's. The ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: should i buy the taurus Judge

I got the Smith & Wesson Govenor and its great. I mix 45 long colt and Winchester 410 with three discs and 12 bb's.
    The shot gun load is awesome at short distance --at least on a target.

Don't believe anyone on here could convince me to stand in front of a shooter with 6 shots of a mix of .45LC and/or .410 shots. Yeah, probably won't work very well for defending your perimeter from a swarm of zombies, but it'll do a pretty effective job of stopping a BG or two intent on doing you harm.

I've the "Public Defender" model Judge, (actually bought it for the GF), I've shot it a few times, and I think you could do worse for a HD weapon, particularly for the elderly, or someone not wiling to spend the time to become proficient with some other guns I have.

It's not what I use mind you, but I wouldn't feel unsafe by any means if that's all I had.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

should i buy the taurus Judge

I think the .410/.45 is novel concept, and I'd like one myself, but I have several other guns on the wish-list ahead of it.

For what it's worth, I would consider the S&W Governor. S&W is a much better company.
    Honk likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Good choice for in the home defense.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Don't believe anyone on here could convince me to stand in front of a shooter with 6 shots of a mix of .45LC and/or .410 shots. Yeah, probably won't work very well for defending your perimeter from a swarm of zombies, but it'll do a pretty effective job of stopping a BG or two intent on doing you harm.

I've the "Public Defender" model Judge, (actually bought it for the GF), I've shot it a few times, and I think you could do worse for a HD weapon, particularly for the elderly, or someone not wiling to spend the time to become proficient with some other guns I have.

It's not what I use mind you, but I wouldn't feel unsafe by any means if that's all I had.

Be safe.
    If you look at it as a .45 LC revolver it's not so bad. .410 out of a pistol has shown to not have adequate penetration, and the Judge itself is heavy, unwieldy, has low capacity and produced by a sub-par company. When it comes to SD, for me at least, only duty grade weapon/caliber/loads will suffice. YMMV.

I have one, Judge Public Defender, as does my wife (3" Barrel version) and they are our nightstand HD guns. We do carry on occasion (whenever we OC). Our reasons for purchase were, bedroom size (the area we'd be using it to defend in a home defense situation), ease of manuverability (vs. a Shotty), ease of handling vs. a shotty for my wife (petite 4'8" with short arms), any shotty that fits me, won't fit her, same with a carbine. Also, much easier to shoot a judge while IN bed, vs. a shotgun.

Then there are the "carry" reasons: SNAKES-hate EM!!! ; BIG gun OC'd =BIG deterrent (yes it has worked for my wife); Point and shoot with PDX WILL hit your target.

Mixed loads are ideal ours are #4 buck, 000 buck, PDX, 2X 45 LC. For those who "pooh pooh" the .410, how bout you try sneakin into my house?? Wanna let me use you for a practice dummy? My eyes aint so good anymore, so scatter shot will stand a better chance of hitting Mr. BG, and in the middle of the night I aint takin time to put my specs on before I shoot at the guy in my bedroom; and as I said, it is easier to shoot one of these than a full size shotgun while still IN bed.

Oh, and I can reload .410 (my dad's old MEC reloader) AND use black powder in a pinch to do so...lets see someone load 9mm (or what ever "service/duty" claiber) with black powder and run it through their semi auto.

I have to wonder about anyone who puts down a manufacturer (HiPoint AND Taurus come to mind) mainly because they produce INEXPENSIVE defense tools. EVERY Taurus I have ever had has never failed on me, my BiL's HiPoint has never failed on him or me, yet our choice of weapons is flawed? I have however had a "Perfect" Glock FTF, a ruger FTE, a S&W fail to cycle (revolver). From my experiences, those companies are of dubious character....
    rawdawg1217 likes this.

I don't want to get hit with a baseball bat, stabbed with a screwdriver, or shot with a .17 HMR either, doesn't mean that they are good for home defense. The "stand in front of it" caliber excuse is an old one, and pretty silly in my opinion. Also completely disagree on mixed loads, POI shift is no bueno. The reason .410 is not good is because it doesn't penetrate to adequate depths in a human to incapacitate them in many cases. Some people feel it is like a "shotgun" because it's a shotshell, but a .410 out of handgun of all things does not have the legendary stopping power of the 12 gauge slug or 00 buck. 000 buck out of .410 is no better than a few .32ACP LRN bullets, except each pellet lacks the mass of a .32 and therefore will not have the momentum to penetrate. Simple physics. The Judge and .410 gimmick has been gone over many times, it's far from ideal.

Carry and use what you like, but hold no illusions that a Judge is better for HD than something like a high cap 9mm or even a 6 shot S&W .38.

...no...a 6, 7, or 8-shot 4" would be better for home defense, in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    I have one, Judge Public Defender, as does my wife (3" Barrel version) and they are our nightstand HD guns. We do carry on occasion (whenever we OC). Our reasons for purchase were, bedroom size (the area we'd be using it to defend in a home defense situation), ease of manuverability (vs. a Shotty), ease of handling vs. a shotty for my wife (petite 4'8" with short arms), any shotty that fits me, won't fit her, same with a carbine. Also, much easier to shoot a judge while IN bed, vs. a shotgun.

Then there are the "carry" reasons: SNAKES-hate EM!!! ; BIG gun OC'd =BIG deterrent (yes it has worked for my wife); Point and shoot with PDX WILL hit your target.

Mixed loads are ideal ours are #4 buck, 000 buck, PDX, 2X 45 LC. For those who "pooh pooh" the .410, how bout you try sneakin into my house?? Wanna let me use you for a practice dummy? My eyes aint so good anymore, so scatter shot will stand a better chance of hitting Mr. BG, and in the middle of the night I aint takin time to put my specs on before I shoot at the guy in my bedroom; and as I said, it is easier to shoot one of these than a full size shotgun while still IN bed.

Oh, and I can reload .410 (my dad's old MEC reloader) AND use black powder in a pinch to do so...lets see someone load 9mm (or what ever "service/duty" claiber) with black powder and run it through their semi auto.

I have to wonder about anyone who puts down a manufacturer (HiPoint AND Taurus come to mind) mainly because they produce INEXPENSIVE defense tools. EVERY Taurus I have ever had has never failed on me, my BiL's HiPoint has never failed on him or me, yet our choice of weapons is flawed? I have however had a "Perfect" Glock FTF, a ruger FTE, a S&W fail to cycle (revolver). From my experiences, those companies are of dubious character....
    Hello All;

As you may notice this is my 1st post, although I have been lurking, waiting to weigh in on a topic I could add to.

I also have the Public Defender and purchased it for the very reasons stated above, and 1 more.

I live in an older frame home (100 + yrs older), and on a busy street, with close neighbors. If I was to use one of my 1911's for home defense I could very easily shoot through the walls and hit any number of innocent bystanders. With the .410 "Defense Load" I, or the wife, would stand a much better chance of hitting the uninvited guest with the least amount of collateral damage.

For an EDC, I feel it's too large and so I carry a Kimber Ultra, or my S&W 1911eCT.

The only thing I would have done different would have been to get the Judge in a 3" chamber for a larger selection of ammo. Or the S&W Governor!

Thank's for listening and I'll be watching,

Bob

I got a Public Defender, my Pops got it for me while back.

Standard .410 is a joke....shot some Buck from it into a old PC...didn't even penetrate the skin of the case..just dents.

It doesn't play a main roll in my defensive plans, but I do shoot it. I've even carried it with no problem (proper belt does wonders). I mainly see it as a snubnose long colt revolver.

I don't find it cumbersome, or too bulky, mine has held up well shooting 45LC through it mostly that cowboy action ammo. Pretty accurate too.

I have it setup as the .410 PDX for the first shot..then 255gr flatnose (semi jacketed) .45's from Federal for the rest. 255gr .45cal is no joke.

That being said, I can't say it's a bad choice, but not a great one either...just don't rely on any regular .410 cartriges....other than the PDX series...even then.......

thing is....I would have never put money down for one. But since it was a gift...I ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AS90 View Post
    I don't want to get hit with a baseball bat, stabbed with a screwdriver, or shot with a .17 HMR either, doesn't mean that they are good for home defense. The "stand in front of it" caliber excuse is an old one, and pretty silly in my opinion. Also completely disagree on mixed loads, POI shift is no bueno. The reason .410 is not good is because it doesn't penetrate to adequate depths in a human to incapacitate them in many cases. Some people feel it is like a "shotgun" because it's a shotshell, but a .410 out of handgun of all things does not have the legendary stopping power of the 12 gauge slug or 00 buck. 000 buck out of .410 is no better than a few .32ACP LRN bullets, except each pellet lacks the mass of a .32 and therefore will not have the momentum to penetrate. Simple physics. The Judge and .410 gimmick has been gone over many times, it's far from ideal.

Carry and use what you like, but hold no illusions that a Judge is better for HD than something like a high cap 9mm or even a 6 shot S&W .38.
    My aim is to stop the THREAT, face full of shot will stop a threat, heck a couple of pellets will run off most anyone except the most crazed. As far a penetration goes, my tests are not scientific by anymeans but my judge will shred the heck out of Pumpkins (my target of choice when in season-head sized, relatively firm, awesome a heck to shoot, and cleanup is for the birds (literally)-and the squirrels, deer etc etc. As with the previous poster I too worry about over penetration (thin walls) even with a shotgun and especially one loaded with 000! I process deer for a living and I have seen what a 000 load can do to a deer carcass. As far as out of a revolver-I am not talking yards of range, I am talking FEET, my head board to the door is 10 feet, my wifes to the window is less....at those ranges I do beleive that the "lowly" 410 even from a revolver will penetrate just fine.

Also, the method of "aim" is different, with a weapon such as the judge one should aim HIGH Center Of Mass, edging toward the head/throat area. Hit those vitals with a #4 buck load at 10 ft. and it will cause a world of hurt, even 1 or 2 pellets.

The .410 shell is simply not "extra special" for self defense purposes, offering nothing that conventional .45 caliber pistol cartridge can't accomplish better. The .410 is the only reason for being for cumbersome revolvers such as the Judge or the Governor. Since you ask here, I'm another who recommends avoiding .410 revolvers. What sort of "edge" are people thinking that they gain with these goofy guns?
    BigJon10125 and pgrass101 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Yeah but you are a purist, in the purest form
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I say if you want it get it. I don't think Taurus is junk, but it is not top of the line either. However it is you that has to be happy with it not me.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Killed deer with a .410? love to hear more on that! Since your a hunter You could have a lot of fun with a .410 revolver, & hear in Kansas the .45 Colt is legel for deer.

So buy the darn thing! Maybe ya won't use it for a SD gun, but bet you will have fun with it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links