should i buy the taurus Judge - Page 3

should i buy the taurus Judge

This is a discussion on should i buy the taurus Judge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an interesting thread, a little different from normal on here. No data whatsoever, except for the pumpkin reference. The Box'O Truth did two ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: should i buy the taurus Judge

This is an interesting thread, a little different from normal on here. No data whatsoever, except for the pumpkin reference. The Box'O Truth did two tests on the Judge, and various shot shells. No I know, this guy doesn't use ballistic gell, but, it is a sort of standardized test. His tests support what the detractors have been saying - 410 sucks for true stopping power, at least when fired from a short barreled pistol.

The first test - the 2 1/2 inch version, and limited ammo selection. The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

The second test - full 3 inch barrel, and PDX and other rounds. The Box O' Truth #53 - The Taurus Judge, Revisited - Page 1

After reading those tests, if you want to use one for self defense, help your self. Personally it would make a good, easy to carry snake gun and not much more. Definitely not a bedside gun. I'll take a full size 9mm with a 17 round (for now - you guys have contacted your legislators, right?). My eyesight is horrible. But I figure I can point the gun at the door way and pretty much hit someone standing there from 10-15 feet away.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is a good gun.Never had a problem with mine. Some people hate them,call it a "snake gun", no good for defense ,etc. Check YouTube video,you will find plenty of positive reviews.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Home use would be fine, I wouldn't recommend on of those for carry at all.

I got a great deal on mine, and so it is now in my copious number of options.

Here is how I see it:

For home defense, I am NOT shooting through walls and doors without seeing a threat unless it is an absolute last ditch thing. In that case, firing blindly with 30 rounds of .556 might be as ineffective as misses with any other weapon.

I intend to be firing into a flesh and bone critter at ranges under fifteen feet. The .410 buck shot or Buck and Ball SXT are more than adequate for those ranges for accuracy and penetration into humans. Making three or more holes in an invader with each pull of the trigger makes the odds of stopping the threat pretty good.

No, it does not hold 15 rounds, but again, 15 misses or a jam because you limp wristed it (or your wife did it) are also not good. If it was a home defense, I am shooting close range gun, I do not feel under gunned at that point. Would I like more rounds? Yep, and that is why it is not a carry gun for patrol.

Oh, and at least a revolver usually shoots with every pull of the trigger barring misfires and that is an ammunition thing in most cases.

Oh, and in any survival situation, .410 shot shell options might mean the difference between squirrel or bird in the stew pot and going vegan that night.

So have at and enjoy
    Ogre likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    You could buy a mossberg 500 20ga super bantam - Mossberg & Sons | 54210
    and hang next to the bed frame- The Backup Bedside Gun Rack In Home Protection

Taurus also builds 454/410 version of the revolver for heartier shooters too.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    double post!
    Last edited by hardluk1; January 27th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    If you have the spare cash, go for it! You can never have too many guns.

There are better solutions for a nightstand gun IMO. But heck, I got one just cause a buddy didn't like it and got it dirt cheap. But no, I don't use it for any SD role.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

im not from ks im from sc I never said id hunt a deer with a revolver I was making a statement that the 410 deserves a lil more credit iv seen deer here much bigger than sc haven't got to hunt here yet but if I where to id use my bolt action 30-06 maybe my Mossberg 500 12 gauge but not a revolver or any pistol for that matter only reason you'd need a judge for hunting is if they are snakes around I've only held a judge a few time never shot one that's why I was asking if I should waste my money on it I really don't think a 410 would drop a full sized buck here lol ya'lls 6 pointer are as big as our 14 pointers lol maybe a lil exaggeration. ive herd yall got problems with cougars and bobcats so might be good for that

ive got one for my night stand but its a 9mm id like something bigger ive got a Mossberg 12 gauge hunted with it for a few years im not sure the model but its to long for home defense

no, way to many better options
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

No, it does not hold 15 rounds, but again, 15 misses or a jam because you limp wristed it (or your wife did it) are also not good. If it was a home defense, I am shooting close range gun, I do not feel under gunned at that point. Would I like more rounds? Yep, and that is why it is not a carry gun for patrol.

Oh, and at least a revolver usually shoots with every pull of the trigger barring misfires and that is an ammunition thing in most cases.
    So you're basing your argument on "usually" and "might?" I'm not trying to be rude, but come on. ANY mechanical device USUALLY works for it's intended purpose, but as with anything it MAY break, no matter if it's Taurus, S&W, Les Baer, Chevy, Ferarri, Mac, PC etc etc.

If you're worried about limp-wristing I'd recommend a 4" .38/.357 chambered revolver of reputable brand with .38+P JHP rounds. Heck, I'd recommend having two of them and speedloaders available.

Now I'm not knocking the Judge, heck I'd get one for a fun gun, but there are much better options.

As for the "if you think the load is so weak, why won't you let me shoot you with it?" replies, I (and I'd assume most sane people) don't even want to get shot in the face with a BB gun, but that doesn't mean I am going to rely on one to stop two 200lb ex-cons high on PCP kicking in my door at 0300.
    rawdawg1217 likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

so yeah im looking a ruger LCR in 357 I might still get the judge but only use 45 lc no one can argue with the stopping power of that maybe even a sw governor because I also have the option of 45 acp and that's my primary carry for now so ive got rounds laying around the house thx guys but most defiantly looking into the LCR bec well 357 and 38 to chose from man I love revolvers

I can't speak to the stopping power of 410, but I've shot the S&W Governor and would recommend looking at that pistol if you decide to go with a 410 revolver. I've fired some. 45s through the S&W and the accuracy was amazing.

I'd go with a Glock, M&P, XDM or any of a number of other choices over the Judge for the roles you mention.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links