should i buy the taurus Judge

This is a discussion on should i buy the taurus Judge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Local broker has a Raging Judge priced at $850. Seems pretty pricey, but things are getting nuts in NJ, price-wise....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: should i buy the taurus Judge

Local broker has a Raging Judge priced at $850. Seems pretty pricey, but things are getting nuts in NJ, price-wise.

2. Remove Ads

No, for two primary reasons. First, I am no fan of any Taurus handgun. And secondly, IMHO, guns (or tools in general) that are designed to accomplish multiple tasks by running multiple calibers and/or ammunition do it at the expense of performing any one particular task especially...well. Much like my Gerber multi-tool, admittedly it IS handy when weight or space is the absolute priority. But almost any dedicated knife will out-perform its "blade-function" & almost any set of pliers will out-perform its "plier-function". There are many, many firearms that will ideally suit your purpose. Why, then, would your pick be such a unique "hybrid"?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    I would not recommend a .410 out of a pistol, and would rather just get a .38special 4" revolver You should be able to find a good used S&W model 10 for the same price has a Judge and it will hold its value better than the judge
    mano3 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm not impressed with the Judge. Video tests I've seen of it make it appear to be a great snake gun, but unwieldy and inaccurate against BGs.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

If you like the JUDGE format, you should also look at the S&W Governor. Hold 6 rounds and also shoots .45ACP in moon clips.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    So you're basing your argument on "usually" and "might?" I'm not trying to be rude, but come on. ANY mechanical device USUALLY works for it's intended purpose, but as with anything it MAY break, no matter if it's Taurus, S&W, Les Baer, Chevy, Ferarri, Mac, PC etc etc.

If you're worried about limp-wristing I'd recommend a 4" .38/.357 chambered revolver of reputable brand with .38+P JHP rounds. Heck, I'd recommend having two of them and speedloaders available.

Now I'm not knocking the Judge, heck I'd get one for a fun gun, but there are much better options.

As for the "if you think the load is so weak, why won't you let me shoot you with it?" replies, I (and I'd assume most sane people) don't even want to get shot in the face with a BB gun, but that doesn't mean I am going to rely on one to stop two 200lb ex-cons high on PCP kicking in my door at 0300.
    Having been shooting all my life, been a cop for 30 years and taking tactical/survival training almost every time I can get to it, I can positively assert the following facts from direct observation:

May and might usually rear their ugly heads at worst possible time, and I believe in O'Reilly's Law (He thought Murphy was a freaking Optimist) and so ignoring them because you feel superior to all of that with your training and choice of ammunition is a really bad idea.

Even the biggest, burliest man can limp wrist a weak 9mm recoil under stress, and that gun will stovepipe and jam. You might want to train and train and train on clearing jams. Also, a double fail to feed will happen at the worst possible time when you do not have a spare magazine at hand.

I watched a Colt Python damned near blow the cylinder off in a man's hand because he bought really hot reloads....and I mean REALLY HOT! Destroyed his expensive gun and it would never fire again.

Better options? Yes. But that is like saying a Nissan is a better option than a Honda. Really? Says who? With the right ammunition a 45 Long Colt is an excellent stopper. And a .410 buck shot round to the chest is just fine to stop any human.

Finally, I would take a .410 buck shot shell against any 200lb felon any day and not feel inadequately armed. As with any handgun, you are betting the odds that you will:
    A. Hit your target when your hands are shaking violently (for most people in a high stress situation)
    B. Make it a good center mass shot
    C. Rupture something important
    D. Not have a PCP or Bath Salts driven monster coming at you that may not drop from anything except a 12 gauge to the head.

So stop rolling your eyes at me, sonny boy
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I seem to always be defending the Judge. Maybe I should ask them to put me on commission. ;)

I have a Judge as a bedroom gun. I originally got it for snakes while hiking also, but since came to the conclusion a good walking stick is better, faster, and I've never needed to blow a snake away in the wilderness, and in town we have animal control.

As a bedroom gun I got it for a little "wiggle room" when waking up to find someone in the hall or doorway. At 20 foot distances, PDX-1 (3 discs and 4 buck) will put the hurt on anyone. And if my aim is a little off while half asleep at least one or two pellets should connect. Yes .45LC has more power, but if I want to fire a solid round I'll just use my carry .45, which I put on the nighstand at night.

My night defense plan is if I wake up to an intruder in the room or nearby hall, grab the Judge. If the person is further away I will probably grab my carry gun and flashlight and my partner will back up with the Judge. By then lights would be on, with lots of yelling. I have a short shotgun in the closet, if I was to go outside I would take it, or have my SO back me up with it. We have 6 cameras that cover our exterior so there would be few situations where I'd leave the house at night.

We did some non-scientific tests awhile back. PDX will blow a pretty good hole in a piece of 3/4 plywood at 5-7 feet. I don't know if it will do it at 25 feet. .45LC will blow a 3/4 hole in a 2X4 with about an 1 1/2 exit hole. The shot spread is about a foot at 15 feet due to the short barrel. I think it will work for me.

I think it is also a great gun for people like 7/11 clerks, jewelry store clerks or maybe even gun store clerks who may encounter a robber at 3 to 20 feet. If you watch videos you will see how many untrained people (both bad guys and clerks) can fire entire mags at near point blank range, and STILL miss.

I would NOT carry it as a CC gun. It is a weapon for specific and limited uses.

Not knocking the judge. Ill only put here what I put in another thread on shotguns that I personally was involved with.
    Short version. At one time was an EMT/ambulance drive for a private company. Dispatched to supposedly still alive shooting victim. Arrived victim dead and had been for at least 24 hours. One broken window.
    Shot end of muzzle against flesh with High brass hi power no 6 shot from 12 ga pump. Coroner ordered body taken to hospital for x ray. I saw the xray as we needed to transport to the coroners funeral home afterward.
    Victim 200 lbs, abdominal shot. Penetration was about 1/3 thru front to back about 4 to 5 inches spread to size of average fist inside the body. Victim had managed to sit down on a couch before dying. Corner opinon shot wound survivable but muzzle blast going into body did more damage than shot did resulting in death.
    Thats point blank full load 12 ga no 6 shot hi power. Make your own conclusion on 410 anything on humans.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Using the above information I can only conclude that there is no personal weapon available for purchase by a private citizen that is suitable for defense. /sarcasm.

Seriously, my goal is to stop the threat. That is why I prefer OC, visual deterrent. A threat deterred is a threat stopped. If Mr. BG takes a look down the 45 cal hole and runs off, threat stopped, if he takes a face full of rat shot and falls screaming to the floor, threat stopped. It doesn't take a killing to end all threats, but if it does, just a squeeze or 2 more will deliver that too.

The Judge is a good nightstand gun. I have carried it concealed but it's a little big for me.

MSZ
    I have a 2-1/2" Judge and it is a 'unique' handgun that I use for specific carry.
    For home DF I like the Judge. Mine came with a (cheap) tactical light and laser, but I also have a good quality Tactical light/strobe that I would also hand carry.

I have the first 2 slots filled with 000 buck and backed up with 3 LC .45 "Winchester Bonded PDX1 225 GR JHP". Still want to put me in a life threatening position? (God forbid I need to use it.)

I also have a Beretta 9mm (either 92FS or PX4 Storm SubCompact) readily accessible. The PX4 is my day carry in a OWB TAGUA holster with thumb retention.

I also CCW the Judge on car vacations. I carry it in a left hip, cross draw position (to avoid seatbelt buckle) Blackhawk Serpa paddle retention holster, covered with a thick, long, loose denim shirt buttoned to remain closed but accessible. I like it in the motel room. I pack 2 speedloaders with LC .45's. I practice using the speedloaders.

It is a specific use gun but would not be my only choice.

I range practice fast, accurate (as needed) shooting with the Judge. It is comforting to know I can get thru the 2 000 buck fast and then have 3 more .45's if needed. Revolvers, as you may know, need less maintenance, than a semi.

My wife has shot the Judge and feels comfortable with it and other handguns. Good luck. Be vigilant.

I personally have never seen a purpose for the Judge. A good NEF/H&R Pardner single shot .410 with a composite youth stock is small enough and light enough to carry on hikes as a snake gun.(I keep one on the wall in my garage as a "Critter Gun" at all times.) In a revolver the .45 LC falls behind the .357 Magnum. The Judge seems to me to be a neither/nor gun. Not really a shotgun nor a practical revolver.
    JD likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links