Snubbie

This is a discussion on Snubbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recommend looking into the Ruger sp101 .357 2.25"...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Snubbie

I recommend looking into the Ruger sp101 .357 2.25"

2. Remove Ads

Two 357 Snubs all day every day.
    sebring likes this.

see I said I was new to the ccw life I really wasn't thinking about that here in ks I see cop cars everyday no joke where im from in sc we have 400 Acers of private land never have had a problem every now and then a trespasser 99% all youv got to say hey private property you need to leave they say sorry and go on their way also might help that im holding my 12 gauge 99% of the time when I see them my grandfather owns the land I just lived there all my life until I joined to military I live in a city here im use to the back woods way of life so thank you for butting it in that perspective

yes I believe ones in the future for me too

VIP Member
    J frame as primary the majority of the time. Regular 38 HydraShock rounds, no plus p rounds. Easy to carry and very comforting.

I think small frame revolvers are good choices for CC. I often carry my LCR as a BUG and sometimes as my primary. I would like to get another LCR and have a "NY relaod."
    10thmtn likes this.

grogan and dove had snubbies they thought they had enough gun too.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

The 1986 FBI Miami shootout was a gun battle that occurred on April 11, 1986 in an unincorporated region of Miami-Dade County in south Florida between eight FBI agents and two serial bank robbers. During the firefight, FBI Special Agents Jerry L. Dove and Benjamin P. Grogan were killed, while five other agents were wounded. The two robbery suspects, William Russell Matix and Michael Lee Platt, were also killed.

The incident is infamous in FBI history and is well-studied in law enforcement circles. Despite outnumbering the suspects 4 to 1, the agents found themselves pinned down by rifle fire and unable to respond effectively. Although both Matix and Platt were hit multiple times during the firefight, Platt fought on and continued to injure and kill agents. This incident led to the introduction of more powerful handguns in the FBI and many police departments around the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    Agreed, but their job was looking for armed bad guys.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

If you have shot .357 mag out of a light weight snub, and could manage the recoil, then a .357 mag out of a light weight snub is a fine CC for 99% (I'm guessing) of all SD situations you might face. For that matter, any 5 shot snub (.38 spl, .38 +p, 44 mag, etc) is a fine CC for 99% (I'm guessing) of all SD situations you might face. If you end up in a firefight where you will need "more gun" your odds of being more or less prepared based on a handgun and a caliber / round choice is a minor factor.

Training, situational awareness, and practice are more practical and relevant. If you can't hit a target with a snub at say 25 feet, it might not be the firearm for you. If I were to guess I can hit a 6 inch target from 50 ft, 3 inch from 25 ft or so, 1 inch from 12 ft. I'm guessing in most SD situations, you might be up for murder charges if a guy had a knife more that 25 feet away from and you shot them. Not saying a knife is not dangerous, or that the distance can't be covered.

I did not like shooting .357 mag out of a light weight snub. It was like hitting a hammer against a metal plate. It hurt my hands, and I could not recover well for second shot. I have shot a .357 snub from a steel snub, no problem. I am comfortable shooting a 44 mag. While I'm not recoil shy, I know my limit, and desided not to purchase a .357 mag light weight, and went with a .38 +P light weight that I can shoot for hours with no concern.

So in summary, anyone who thinks a 5 shot .38 +P is not "enough gun" is flawed. I'm assuming 2 legged concerns, not 4 legged.

PS - I'm not suggesting anyone should limit round or types of firearms, only defending that a 5 shot .38 +P is "enough gun" for the vast majority of SD situations. It is the firearm that is so easy to carry, that you forget it is there until you need it. It can be shot from inside a coat pocket, and assuming it is hammerless, nothing to get caught on.

It is the firearm many carry, but chose to tell everyone the carry a 1911, desert eagle, or 10mm to sound impressive.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

...their primary handguns were S&W 9mm semiautos...haven't read where they might have had snubbies as backups...can you cite that, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm

I stand corrected thank you very much.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

...that was a sad story...weapons weren't as much of a problem as tactics...or lack of them...that incident's been a valuable training aid since...I hope the lessons were learned...such a high price for the teaching...
    Secret Spuk likes this.

that was the 1st thing I saw on the web so I posted it bec it tells what happened I didn't see anything about snubs either but it really tells a lot about how well the bgs are armed and that they could take out a whole team of FBI agents kinda make you want to carry a pistol with more rounds im a fair shot with my .38 but better with my .45 plus I have two extra mags with 30 rounds as well I only have 1 speed loader that's only 10 rounds I carry for my .38 I only carry 1 mag so that's 10 more ronds I started to carry one on my hip in a old gerber pouch and when I carry my .38 as a bug I don't carry my speed loader so that's a total of 25 rounds I aslso carry my .38 in a pocket holster in my coat when its a bug in a iwb when its my primary some times in the pocket carry but now on I think itll only be a bug unless im in the country but in the city it will only be a bug

I love my revolver and its much more comfortable to carry than my pistol but id rather be on the safe side right now im looking at a LCR 357 but I might need to look into a new pistol on that note when I go home a revolver will be just fine but while im here in ks id prefer my pistol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links