Snubbie

This is a discussion on Snubbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Comment on FBI story, I think that was also on the TV show similar to top cops, but for FBI. They we're out gunned but ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Snubbie

Comment on FBI story, I think that was also on the TV show similar to top cops, but for FBI. They we're out gunned but against rifles too, I believe. And they made some pretty bad tactical mistakes. Come out to USPSA and IDPA and observe the speed, accuracy and skill many cops in local LE, FBI, Marshalls and other branches compare to civilians. You would be surprised. I don't think anyone argues a combat pistol, even a 1911 45 acp is not an awesome tool for battle but the snubbie is a great tool. Most gun battles are still 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds long. I agree sometimes you feel better carrying a good pistol for combat. Lately in Atlanta the standard is about 3 young guys with guns robbing places, even jumping in drive through windows and robbing McDonalds. If you faced that mess, you'd want a good pistol and at least one mag. My wife's 20 round XDm 9mm with critical duty +P is something I hope is around during a home invasion, you can rain hell on some bad guys so fast they'd never see it coming. Extreme trigger and gun control possible. You can make her gun almost sound like an automatic machine gun.

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I would not "head into battle" with a 5 shot snub nor do I use any of mine for Home Defense. When I am out and about, my goal is the get the heck out of Dodge. So a 5 shot snub heading to the golf course, the store, or back and forth to work is no problem for me. Once I get home, I'm putting a 12 round mag in my XD40sc with 2 extra 12 rounders loaded and a pile of 9 rounders loaded or my new XDm9 4.5 which holds 19+1 and I have 8 mags for. Like was said by GeorgiaShooter above, the XDm9 can lay down serious lead (and I happen to also keep mine loaded with Hornady Critical Duty +P).
    40Bob and GeorgiaShooter like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    I am new to the ccw world and im am wondering if anyone has an opinion on carrying a 5 shot snub nose revolver as a primary carry. Currently I am carrying it as a back up but its more comfortable to carry as a primary. I just think a 5 shot might not do the job.
    I am a great shot with it as well as all guns (not the best shot out there) but, I always qualify expert will all weapons in the military
    I carry a S&W 442 .38 Special concealed as an off duty weapon. I do not feel unarmed or unprepared and I don't feel like it is underpowered. The size and weight makes it convenient to carry in a standard holster, a pocket holster, or in an ankle holster.

My opinion is that concealed carry is for personal protection. Will a five shot revolver fend of a small army or an attacking zombie horde? No, but I can assure you that five rounds of .38 Special would be extremely unpleasant for an attacker and the first shot would more than likely deter a small group. If there is a mall shooting or something like that then I know I would be under-armed, but I'm confident I would have enough firepower to get to an exit, closet, bathroom, etc.

I chose this gun because I expect it to conform to my lifestyle and manner of dress, not the other way around. I want to be able to wear comfortable clothing during the summer and throw it in a cargo pocket when I go out and it is small enough to pop into a golf bag pocket when I go to the course. I carry a Glock 22 on duty and there is no way I would consistently carry a large gun when I'm not in uniform.

Edit: Also consider the reliability factor and the ability to shoot all five rounds from inside your pocket.

anyway love the topic and i love rawdawgin 24/7
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Re: Snubbie

If you plan on using a revolver as primary carry, get some speedloaders, too. Bianchi speed strips are my favorites with J frames. Massad Ayoob has a great video on how to properly use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAX...e_gdata_player

sent from my rotary dial phone using tapatalk2
    BugDude likes this.

ive never seen one used until now never really under stood it but it looks like it uses a lot less space than the speed loaders almost as fast too

I was givin the nickname when I was deployed to Afghanistan never really knew why but it stuck with me ever since then

SP-101 & a S& W 422. Two speed loaders & two speed strips.

I carry sp101 38+ps with speed strip I never feel undergunned

S&W 642 .38+P Airweight for almost 5yrs.
    No problems so far.
    ctr likes this.

I love my Taurus 5 shot snubby, but I only carry it when I'm out in the yard with the dogs... I just don't feel like five shots are enough, even though I'm a very good shooter. I just don't think my shot groups will be as tight once bullets are flying back at me, and my adrenaline dump has taken over. My heart rate is up, my vision is tunnelled, and my fine motor skills are diminished... I could be through five shots in 1.5 seconds, then comes the hard part; trying to reload a revolver with diminished motor skills while bullets are flying toward you!!

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    Last summer my neighbor gave me an old S&W Airweight Chiefs Special. I have come to find it is a very early model, first or second year production. Her husband was a Sheriffs deputy, and she carried it in her purse for decades (and it shows). She gave it to me when her son (who's a convicted felon) started showing up more often and asking if he could move back in with her.

I put a Hogue Bantam grip on it and bought a DeSantis Summer Heat holster for it.

At first it was hard to draw from the holster, and the holster is made on the thick side for my liking. I would sometimes carry it in a pocket while walking the dog.
    Lately I have carried it around the house a bit and got the holster broken in where the gun is very easy to draw. As such, I have started carrying it more often and I really like the light weight and how unobtrusive the grip is above my pants.
    The gun shoots surprisingly well with Hornady Critical Defense loads. I have avoided plus P ammo, as this gun has an alloy cylinder.

A friend at work bought a Ruger LCR last month, and I shot about 75 rounds of regular and plus P through it, and I seriously didn't want to give it back to him. I offered him my LC9, 3 mags and a custom built holster for it which he didn't bite on. There is probably one of these in my future.
    Unless your Smith is one of the ones made for and issued to aircrewmen it does not have an alloy cylinder plus I believe all those guns were K frames. It should have a steel cylinder but I still would not shoot +p through it on a regular basis. The rare remaining alloy cylindered guns shouldn't be shot with any modern ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    grogan and dove had snubbies they thought they had enough gun too.

If I remember correctly it was S-A Miriles snub nosed .38 that actually ended the fight.

At the time the FBI standard I believe was the S&W model 19, or the model 13. With a barrel between 4", and 2.5 inch. Some agents may have been armed with S&W 9mm pistols as well...

...Mirales ended the fight with a S&W 686 .357 firing the FBI load...report doesn't say what barrel length...his dept issue was M&P Smith...a lot of them carried their own weapons...
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    If I remember correctly it was S-A Miriles snub nosed .38 that actually ended the fight.

At the time the FBI standard I believe was the S&W model 19, or the model 13. With a barrel between 4", and 2.5 inch. Some agents may have been armed with S&W 9mm pistols as well...

...also found in the report that some had been issued Model 19 and at least one Colt Police...barrel lengths vary...so standard issue was in flux, evidently...one even had some WW Silvertip .357 ammo...the rest had the FBI load...
    ...when I was a cop, they issued the M19 and M19 snub...in 71, we had a Fibber at our gun range that turned his M19 snub upside down and outshot all of us with our 4" .357s and .38s...that put confidence in me that snubs would do what you told them to...

VIP Member
    My personal feeling is the FBI Miami shoot out has little to no bearing on my civilian carry. The agents involved in the shoot out had a hastily prepared plan and attempted a traffic stop against armed robbers armed with rifles. Second is firing into an automobile - something I am very, very unlikely to need to do. Few of the FBI rounds found their mark, at least they were not good hits.

The only solid takeaway for me is do not engage superior firepower when optional. Really, that should be the mantra for CCW anyway. Avoid confrontations.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links