Snubbie - Page 5

Snubbie

This is a discussion on Snubbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; actually the first shot fired by an agent cut the shooters aorta he lived 4 minutes an shot 10 agents in that time with a ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Snubbie

actually the first shot fired by an agent cut the shooters aorta he lived 4 minutes an shot 10 agents in that time with a mini 14 while the other guy was reloading for him they lead the police to a pre picked site to fight it out these guys were also spec ops fresh from Viet Nam I doubt an hope None of us would run into that

...neither of those scum was special ANYTHING...neither had been to Nam...nor any other combat...the FBI report details their service records...they went to parachute jump school in the Army...then into the MPs...
    ...Platt did not suffer a wound to the aorta...this forensics report describes his wounds in detail: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm
    ...there is nothing remarkable or awesome about either of these bums...they were just misfits...who became murdering scum...
    ...Platt did not shoot 10 agents...in the entire shootout, 2 agents were killed, 5 more were wounded, the remaining agent involved in the shootout was unharmed...these facts also from the FBI report...

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    actually the first shot fired by an agent cut the shooters aorta he lived 4 minutes an shot 10 agents in that time with a mini 14 while the other guy was reloading for him they lead the police to a pre picked site to fight it out these guys were also spec ops fresh from Viet Nam I doubt an hope None of us would run into that
    Secret Spuk and 64zebra like this.

...what I get from it is mostly to carry plenty of ammo, carry a backup, have a long gun handy, and you hit the main one dead center...avoid confrontations!!!Oh, and, of course PRACTICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    My personal feeling is the FBI Miami shoot out has little to no bearing on my civilian carry. The agents involved in the shoot out had a hastily prepared plan and attempted a traffic stop against armed robbers armed with rifles. Second is firing into an automobile - something I am very, very unlikely to need to do. Few of the FBI rounds found their mark, at least they were not good hits.

The only solid takeaway for me is do not engage superior firepower when optional. Really, that should be the mantra for CCW anyway. Avoid confrontations.

I carry two Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special handguns every waking moment of everyday. Primary is IWB @ 4 o'clock; BUG is carried inside a pants or jacket pocket, or in an ankle holster. My guns are loaded with Buffalo Bore® 158gr LSWCHCGC's. Carrying these two 38's I fear no man.
    Haywood and rawdawg1217 like this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

...share with us about that ammo...what's it stand for...how's it compare with the FBI load...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    I am new to the ccw world and im am wondering if anyone has an opinion on carrying a 5 shot snub nose revolver as a primary carry. Currently I am carrying it as a back up but its more comfortable to carry as a primary. I just think a 5 shot might not do the job.
    I am a great shot with it as well as all guns (not the best shot out there) but, I always qualify expert will all weapons in the military
    Nothing wrong with a snubbie as a carry gun. I carried Semi's for years and recently started carrying an SP101 I picked up, great gun and very comfortable to carry. I don't feel under gunned at all. I keep 2 speed strips in my front pocket and completely forget about them.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Unless your Smith is one of the ones made for and issued to aircrewmen it does not have an alloy cylinder plus I believe all those guns were K frames. It should have a steel cylinder but I still would not shoot +p through it on a regular basis. The rare remaining alloy cylindered guns shouldn't be shot with any modern ammo.
    Sounds like a S&W Model 12. I have one. Finding out what the cylinder is made of is easy enough. Check it with a magnet.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I carry a Taurus 605 every day
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...share with us about that ammo...what's it stand for...how's it compare with the FBI load...thanks
    The FBI/Chicago/Dallas/Metro load is a 38 Special+P Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point (LSWCHP). One of the best examples is the Remington® Load #R38S12. This load is approximately 850fps from a 1⅞-2¼" barrel & has about 250-260fpe. The Buffalo Bore® load that I use produces the same velocity & fpe but in a STANDARD PRESSURE loading. By using this loading from BB I get less muzzle blast, less recoil; and a far quicker "Return to Battery" (Recovery from recoil & muzzle blast; with sights back on target/perp).

The Buffalo Bore® bullet is 158gr Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Cavity (HP) Gas Check. The specifications for this load are shown here..........
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=110
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

...been using nothing but R38S12 in all my .38/.357...even my 12-year-old son did well with it...sounds like you've introduced me to a new friend...less flash...same performance...this'll be my first BB purchase...thanks a lot for the info and link!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    The FBI/Chicago/Dallas/Metro load is a 38 Special+P Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point (LSWCHP). One of the best examples is the Remington® Load #R38S12. This load is approximately 850fps from a 1⅞-2¼" barrel & has about 250-260fpe. The Buffalo Bore® load that I use produces the same velocity & fpe but in a STANDARD PRESSURE loading. By using this loading from BB I get less muzzle blast, less recoil; and a far quicker "Return to Battery" (Recovery from recoil & muzzle blast; with sights back on target/perp).

The Buffalo Bore® bullet is 158gr Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Cavity (HP) Gas Check. The specifications for this load are shown here..........

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post

What actually constitutes a +p load. The Remington is rated at 850 fps from a short barrel and the Buffalo Bore is 854 fps from the same length barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    What actually constitutes a +p load. The Remington is rated at 850 fps from a short barrel and the Buffalo Bore is 854 fps from the same length barrel.
    The pressure developed is what gives one the +P designation. BB is able to get the same velocity at a lower pressure, they are probably using a custom blended powder.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

A good number of CCW pistols only hold 6 or 7 rounds as well. Practice reloading. I have seen experts reload a revolver in an unbelievably short time. I carried an old S&W model 36, 3" for a number of years. I ground off the hammer as I only fired DA and the spur of the hammer would hang up in my clothing. I still have it but it is not +p rated,

I don't see a lot of benefit in a snubbie .357mag compared to the 38 +p. The bullet is long gone but the powder is still burning causing major recoil and blast. The web site BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home shows that out of a 2" barrel you can lose 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the energy compared to a 6" barrel.

a j-frame and one speed clip in your pocket is all one would need. 99% of the problems that you could run into is nothing what you see on tv/movies. in the movies they shoot hundreds of rounds at thousand bad guys. in the real world a j-frame with one reload will do the trick.
    rawdawg1217, Ogre and Secret Spuk like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

i got a few speed strips now and I carry them my revolver and my speed loader to and from work im not allowed to carry on a military installation so before I get to work got to pull over before the gate to take it off my hip and unload it I just take the revolver lock through the frame and put it under my seat bullets in the dash I sometimes go to Wal-Mart or a gas station after or before work I feel pretty comfortable with it to 2 in charter arms undercover feels a heck a lot better than my pt145 but on days when I don't have to work it just depends where im headed to aint no man a .38 spl cant stop might take one or two in the chest maybe even three but he,ll go down I just want to say thank you guys for your input and helping me make the decision

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links