Snubbie - Page 6

Snubbie

This is a discussion on Snubbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DannyB1954 I don't see a lot of benefit in a snubbie .357mag compared to the 38 +p. The bullet is long gone ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Snubbie

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    I don't see a lot of benefit in a snubbie .357mag compared to the 38 +p. The bullet is long gone but the powder is still burning causing major recoil and blast. The web site BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home shows that out of a 2" barrel you can lose 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the energy compared to a 6" barrel.
    Recoil and blast are range issues, not SD issues. Using the same bullet in a 357 snub VS a 38 snub you will see 400-500 more FPS out of the magnum. A good shooter will have split time just a hair slower with magnums than 38 specials in the same gun. I see a huge benefit if you are willing to get your skill level up to the task.
    Doghandler and Mark IL NM like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Recoil and blast are range issues, not SD issues. Using the same bullet in a 357 snub VS a 38 snub you will see 400-500 more FPS out of the magnum. A good shooter will have split time just a hair slower with magnums than 38 specials in the same gun. I see a huge benefit if you are willing to get your skill level up to the task.
    I agree that recoil is a range issue, but the range is where self defense shooting is practiced. My old concealed carry gun was a snubbie SP101 in .357 and it was flat out painful to shoot after 5 or 10 rounds. I ended up practicing with and carrying .38 Special self defense rounds and eventually sold it to purchase my S&W 442. I wouldn't even consider trying .357 loads in an air weight frame.

I like these

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    I have a .38 spl I use zombie max cheap hollow points but I love hornady its ether them or federal can't find any double tap I heard about them on the forum I watched some youtube videos about them and I just think they'll be good for my .45 acp don't even know if they have any for .38 spl do yall know of any better ammo?

This is what I carry in my snub nose 38.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=112

Buffalo Bore also makes +P loads if your gun will run +P. I have been very pleased with these. The web site doesn't say it, although I think they used to, that the 125 grain hollowpoint are Speer Gold Dots. I know they sure do appear to be from what I have seen comparing pictures of expanded Buffalo Bore and gold dots.

Heres a picture of a few I shot into water jugs:
    my 38.jpg

I can feel the difference in the load when I shoot these compared to practice ammo, so I really do believe them when they say they get the maximum performance from their loads.

As far as a snub nose for a primary, if you carry a speedloader or speed strip and use common sense I think a 5 shot revolver is fine as a primary. I am use mine when I have to wear a tucked dress shirt because it conceals better than my glock.

Quote Originally Posted by 38special View Post
    I agree that recoil is a range issue, but the range is where self defense shooting is practiced. My old concealed carry gun was a snubbie SP101 in .357 and it was flat out painful to shoot after 5 or 10 rounds. I ended up practicing with and carrying .38 Special self defense rounds and eventually sold it to purchase my S&W 442. I wouldn't even consider trying .357 loads in an air weight frame.
    That is why you do the majority of your training/practice with 38's if that is an issue. I have one of the first SP101's they made in 357 mag and found it to shoot nicely for a small 357. Recoil is very subjective, I do not find it painful in my 640 with full power loads, but my 360PD was painful to shoot. My old super blackhawk was painful too with full power 44's and factory grips. The 442 is a great gun for a BUG.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    My personal feeling is the FBI Miami shoot out has little to no bearing on my civilian carry. The agents involved in the shoot out had a hastily prepared plan and attempted a traffic stop against armed robbers armed with rifles. Second is firing into an automobile - something I am very, very unlikely to need to do. Few of the FBI rounds found their mark, at least they were not good hits.

The only solid takeaway for me is do not engage superior firepower when optional. Really, that should be the mantra for CCW anyway. Avoid confrontations.
    just a quick thought or two on this.....the Miami situation can provide everyone some food for thought, avoidance already mentioned
    true the agents didn't have the best plan in the world, but they didn't know for sure that the guys had rifles, but they were dirtbags for sure, anyway....
    -you said it, try not to have a shootout with persons having superior firepower unless you just have to
    -on the flip side...try to have superior firepower against the dirtbag(s)
    -an agent was shot while trying to reload his revolver, could be a great discussion topic on capacity and reloading skills, reloading behind cover, etc
    -they were not prepared for vehicles colliding, this could easily happen to any of us and we should be prepared for it
    -carry quality ammo, today bonded seems to be the most recommended; sure most CCWers won't have to shoot into/through doors but Murphy has a strange way of butting into our lives; for some reason he visits me at the most inappropriate time; I would want to carry the most effective round for all occasions
    -carry your carry piece in a holster (Manauzzi had taken his sidearm out in preparation and lost it after the vehicles collided)
    -if you wear glasses or contacts, your vision in a SD situation could mean the difference (one agent lost his glasses and was out of the fight for a time), just something to think about
    -one agent was shot in the arm and a combination of his injury and blood in his revolver's chambers kept him from reloading
    -the murdered agents were shot while behind a car, they were not aware of Platt moving to them and he got the drop on them

lots of things can happen, so we should prepare and practice, some things that I take from this shootout that need to be practiced and/or discussed: one handed shooting with both hands, reloading with one hand both strong and support hands alone whether its revolver or semi; being aware of the threat and the threat's movements; preferably reload behind cover but be able to maintain visual on where suspect is, if not behind cover you should be moving; think about your ammo and you weapon's capacity

I hope nobody misunderstands me, I'm not knocking revolvers....I own 3 of them, I carry a 642 on duty for backup, every once in awhile I carry in in the pocket with a couple of speedloaders, but thats not very often. The topic of revolvers should be discussed as it relates to this shootout, agents getting shot while reloading, etc. Hopefully everyone that wants to can think about all this and be prepared.

cheers
    Aceoky and Snub44 like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've been to the range with my new speed strips at first its awkward to reload and kind of slow a lil practice and im pretty fast with the speed strips a lot faster with speed loaders lol I usually carry a speed loader or 2 two speed strips

Practice practice practice. The drills like moving to cover, dropping & reloading can be done in the garage, bedroom oe backyard. Practice standing, kneeling & sitting. Reloading should be as automaric as front sight on target, pull trigger in a double tap.
    Doghandler and 64zebra like this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    The 1986 FBI Miami shootout was a gun battle that occurred on April 11, 1986 in an unincorporated region of Miami-Dade County in south Florida between eight FBI agents and two serial bank robbers. During the firefight, FBI Special Agents Jerry L. Dove and Benjamin P. Grogan were killed, while five other agents were wounded. The two robbery suspects, William Russell Matix and Michael Lee Platt, were also killed.

The incident is infamous in FBI history and is well-studied in law enforcement circles. Despite outnumbering the suspects 4 to 1, the agents found themselves pinned down by rifle fire and unable to respond effectively. Although both Matix and Platt were hit multiple times during the firefight, Platt fought on and continued to injure and kill agents. This incident led to the introduction of more powerful handguns in the FBI and many police departments around the United States.
    A rifle round is several times more powerful and accurate than a hand gun round. If it was practical to carry a AK47 I think we would. So when facing 2 heavily armed bank robbers wearing bullet proof vests, It is probably a better choice to use your feet as quickly as possible.
    Ogre likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    You will see an increase of about 181 fps using .357mag in a 2" barrel over a standard .38 special, (Not a +P) For comparison I used Cor Bon 125 JHP for both calibers. If you add The velocity increase from a +P .38, The difference will be even less. Each bullet has an attorney attached. Not one for you, but against you. A .38Spl +P has more than enough power to go through a human target. Adding more power to that increases your liability, because most likely it will continue on to hit something/ someone else.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .38 Special Results 723fps
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results 904fps

oh I have been working on it at the range. I don't have practice snap caps or anything like that and for safety reasons I don't try it at home if I where in SC my home I have land but here in KS where im stationed with the military I don't have land and cant be doing it out in the yard. I live in the city here but in sc I've got land in the country!!

I carry a 642 daily and don't feel undergunned. I carry for self protection not to go to war and not to look for trouble. If I need more than 5 shots, I'm in a world of hurt!
    Ogre likes this.

...I agree...at least 2 speed strips would be a great addition...

I agree and disagree with a lot of what has been said in this thread.

My daily carry to and from work is a .38+P LCR with Remington Golden Sabers in the cylinder, one five round speed strip with four rounds and the middle hole empty (OP, try this, it makes reloading much, much faster with the strip) and one speed loader in my coat pocket. My reasoning for this is that I almost never leave my car and I cannot carry at work so for that threat level a snub is perfectly adequate. Why? Because carjackers are my main concern and my first choice is going to be drive away if I can. Most other times I carry the LCR as BUG to a 9mm semi-auto and a spare mag or two. Why? It's true that 99% of the situations that civilians face (ie not looking for trouble) SHOULD be able to be covered by 10rds (snub and a speed loader) but I really, really do not want to find myself in that 1% of situations where I would be outgunned with five rounds. And you may say "but you have more rounds in the speed loader and strip" yep, but trying to reload a revolver is not really in the cards if you are grappling with a guy or two. But I also like carrying a sharp, pointy thing or two...

I think the biggest thing is that people need to assess their own environments and activities to decide what works best for them.
    64zebra likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

On high powered rounds and massive amounts of ammo, In an urban setting most of the bullets that you shoot will hit something, maybe not your intended target, but something or someone. So there is a liability associated with every shot. Even if you do get the bad guy, you will be held responsible for the damage done to everything else that you hit, (including the guy standing behind the bad guy). If you are actually hitting the target that you are shooting at, a great deal of ammo is really not necessary, nor is a 500 S&W magnum.

642 here with critical duty ammo...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links