Snubbie

This is a discussion on Snubbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for years, my primary pocket carry gun was a Smith & Wesson 642, 5-shot Airweight J-frame with one or two reloads. i have since replaced ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Snubbie

for years, my primary pocket carry gun was a Smith & Wesson 642, 5-shot Airweight J-frame with one or two reloads.

i have since replaced the Smith with a Kahr CM-9 because i can shoot it much better than i can the revolver.

while i prefer to carry a holstered gun, i often rely on just a pocket gun when i know i may have to remove my cover garment.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    You will see an increase of about 181 fps using .357mag in a 2" barrel over a standard .38 special, (Not a +P) For comparison I used Cor Bon 125 JHP for both calibers. If you add The velocity increase from a +P .38, The difference will be even less. Each bullet has an attorney attached. Not one for you, but against you. A .38Spl +P has more than enough power to go through a human target. Adding more power to that increases your liability, because most likely it will continue on to hit something/ someone else.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .38 Special Results 723fps
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results 904fps

That site is interesting but not very accurate. I get 1250 FPS for Winchester 125 357 Mag and 1250 from Winchester 145 STHP from my 640 That is about 400-500 FPS faster than any 38 Special load from a snubby. If you are content with the 38 then I am happy for you. After 3 decades of law enforcement I am well aware of liability issues. My main concern is winning the fight.
    64zebra likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

What? No D-frame Colts?

Not a thing wrong with all the Smiths and Rugers mentioned here, but the venerable D-frame Colt Detective Special should not be left out. Biggest difference is the 6 round cylinder. The OP asked if five was enough and I ask, "Why settle for 5 when you can have 6?"

Re: Snubbie

My wife's snubbie just rides in a consul of either vehicle.
    It's too heavy for her purse and recoils so bad she hates it. My father in law is of the mind that women are too stupid to operate a semi auto.

I don't mind shooting it. I have carried it as a BUG but growing up in Montana wearing western cut jeans it's hard to pocket with a holster.

Not sure about primary. For me I prefer higher capacity and striker fire pistols. Unless it's a BFG.

In God and Glock we Trust

....what's your wife's snub?

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ....what's your wife's snub?
    You used post #357 for that, too bad.

I just wanted to say that even though I own a S&W 642 and carry it occasionally, a K-frame is more comfortable. Plus it holds 6 rounds. I have a pristine Model 12 snub, maybe I'll start carrying it.
    NRA Life Member

...if you go to the M12, hope you're ham-handed...mine beat me like a stepchild...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links