Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by chiefjason There is no law against carrying openly in NC after having a drink. If you get pulled over, place it on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle)

  1. #16
    Member Array joshw0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    95

    Re: Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle)

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    There is no law against carrying openly in NC after having a drink. If you get pulled over, place it on the dash and inform the officer. Don't have it anywhere it could be considered concealed. Or, in a truck you would need a lockable box that cannot be accesed by anyone in the truck. It's more difficult in a truck compared to a car. In a car you just put it in the trunk.

    There is a law restricting CC if you haven been drinking. There is no such law for OC.

    As for school property, no firearms on the property period.
    Hickory, NC? I'm about 45 minutes away from the main strip in Hickory.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,541
    First, ChiefJason is right on the money about open carry while having alcohol in your system. OC is not restricted in NC to zero tolerance like concealed carry. Second, if the gun is locked up and not readily accessible to any of the passengers then it is no longer a concealed weapon it is a weapon being transported in a safe condition. You do NOT have a legal obligation to notify any law enforcement that you have a CHP if you are not currently carrying a concealed handgun or of a firearm that is not concealed and be safely transported. Now you may decide to notify about a gun locked away for safe transport but legally you are not required to do so.

    As a side note, there are quite a few of us here in the Hickory area. Welcome!
    OldVet, joshw0000 and noway2 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  4. #18
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,190
    Or you can move to Florida where it's legal to be drunk and still carry. Even drunks have the right to SD here, but you'll have to put up with those Yankee immigrants to do it.

    On second thought, stay in NC and OC.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  5. #19
    Member Array joshw0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    95

    Re: Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle)

    Thanks for everyone's input. It was great stumbling upon a forum with so many helpful people. And it looks like we've got quite a few Carolinians too. I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the concealed carry course as soon as I'm approved for my permit and get my gun. Starting out with a Taurus .380 for now. I'm doing a trade with a buddy for an iPhone. I like how compact it is and it's not breaking the bank by any means. I picked up some target bullets and a box of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M...e_gdata_player. It's not exactly the gun I want long term but it should do some damage if I ever need to use it.

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

  6. #20
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,868
    I would like to add a thank you to chiefjason and NC Bullseye for the clarification on this issue. The part about OC versus CC and zero tolerance on alcohol is something to keep in mind. While as a rule I don't go out drinking and carry, it is information that in pinch could spell the difference between a world of hurt and being legal.

  7. #21
    Member Array joshw0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    95

    Re: Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle)

    Awesome avatar. One of my favorite movies.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. It was great stumbling upon a forum with so many helpful people. And it looks like we've got quite a few Carolinians too. I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the concealed carry course as soon as I'm approved for my permit and get my gun. Starting out with a Taurus .380 for now. I'm doing a trade with a buddy for an iPhone. I like how compact it is and it's not breaking the bank by any means. I picked up some target bullets and a box of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M...e_gdata_player. It's not exactly the gun I want long term but it should do some damage if I ever need to use it.

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Your more than welcome! If you have any other questions on NC CHP feel free to ask away.

    I would like to recommend one thing, the Critical Defense ammunition you bought, I would advise strongly against using it for self defense purposes until you've had a chance to run many rounds of it through your gun with no malfunctions. I've personally seen guns that would normally eat any brand choke on the critical defense ammunition repeatedly. You're far better off with either the FMJ or one of the more proven rounds instead at least until you've verified that you specific handgun will run them error free.

    You may want to consider having your wife take the CHP class the same time as you even if she's not going to carry on a regular basis. That way if you ever have to leave your gun with her while you go where carry is prohibited she is legal in keeping it out of sight or carrying it herself.
    joshw0000 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  9. #23
    Member Array godawgs82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    Also, if I understand correctly, I cannot have the gun in my car on school property (again, not concealed or open carry) if I'm picking up my kids?
    Any info will be helpful. Thanks!
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    In GA....you ARE allowed to have a gun in your car on school property if you are simply dropping off or picking up your kids. You can have it with you in a parked car while waiting. If you get out and go into the school building,
    you cannot carry it into a school building concealed. Check the NC gun laws.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by godawgs82 View Post
    In GA....you ARE allowed to have a gun in your car on school property if you are simply dropping off or picking up your kids. You can have it with you in a parked car while waiting. If you get out and go into the school building,
    you cannot carry it into a school building concealed. Check the NC gun laws.
    As ChiefJason said earlier, in NC firearms are not permitted on educational property when picking up your children. There are very few instances where having a firearm on educational property is allowed.

    Here's the NC statute on that. GS_14-269.2
    joshw0000 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  11. #25
    Member Array joshw0000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    95

    Re: Concealed Carry and Alcohol (in your vehicle)

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Your more than welcome! If you have any other questions on NC CHP feel free to ask away.

    I would like to recommend one thing, the Critical Defense ammunition you bought, I would advise strongly against using it for self defense purposes until you've had a chance to run many rounds of it through your gun with no malfunctions. I've personally seen guns that would normally eat any brand choke on the critical defense ammunition repeatedly. You're far better off with either the FMJ or one of the more proven rounds instead at least until you've verified that you specific handgun will run them error free.

    You may want to consider having your wife take the CHP class the same time as you even if she's not going to carry on a regular basis. That way if you ever have to leave your gun with her while you go where carry is prohibited she is legal in keeping it out of sight or carrying it herself.
    I don't know if I can afford to run very many shells at $40 for 25 bullets. I do plan to shoot at least a clip or two and keep the rest for self defense. Is that enough or are you talking hundreds?

    My dad just completed the course and my mom is talking about taking it. My wife signed up for a purchase permit at the same time I did and we've already talked about her taking the concealed class as well. Like you said, it never hurts to have it, even if she doesn't use it.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    Hickory, NC? I'm about 45 minutes away from the main strip in Hickory.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Good deal and welcome aboard. I'm technically in Longview. Not that there is much of a difference.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  13. #27
    Member Array DannyB1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pahrump Nv 89060
    Posts
    120
    Your local laws will dictate what you must do with the weapon. I can tell you what would happen here, but here is not there, and your local police doesn't have a lot of respect for my thoughts.

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array 357and40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    2,333
    Don't drink and drive.
    Don't drink & carry.

    Pretty simple.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

  15. #29
    Member Array CowboyKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    ...Don't drink & carry. ...

    Pretty simple.
    Care to elaborate? Why not? Does My right to protect myself cease if I have a glass of wine with dinner in a restaurant? LMK.

    Ken

  16. #30
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
    Just know your state laws. I know here in Idaho we can carry in a bar, or while drinking, or with it in the car. However we cannot be intoxicated, of course, while carrying. If I know I am going somewhere that I will take a drink, that gun comes off and is secured for the night. Just a trade off for partaking, and not taking any chances.
    Said several times and in this reply. Know your state law. In SC you cannot CC into a restaurant that serves, which would mean that if you should have a situation involving your firearm, investigation will lead to the fact that you may or must have been CC at the restaurant, which as I said, is illegal. This puts you into a situation where you have broken the law and have then been involved in a situation that could prove a problem criminally and/or civilly--ie: the BG would never have been shot and killed if you had obeyed the law in the first place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

alcohol and concealed carry

,

alcohol concealed carry nc

,
alcohol in car with ccw
,
concealed carry alcohol
,

concealed carry and alcohol

,

concealed weapon laws can i have alcohol in my car

,
drinking concealed carry car
,
drinking with concealed carry
,
nc concealed carry alcohol
,
nc concealed carry laws alcohol
,
nc concealed weapons laws
,
penalty drinking ohio ccw
Click on a term to search for related topics.