Hospital Carry in FL?

This is a discussion on Hospital Carry in FL? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I checked out handgunlaw.us. It said that in FL you can't carry in a hospital that provides mental care. Don't most major hospitals do this? ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badbullgator

Thread: Hospital Carry in FL?

Hospital Carry in FL?

I checked out handgunlaw.us. It said that in FL you can't carry in a hospital that provides mental care. Don't most major hospitals do this? Does that mean you can't carry to most hospitals in FL?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

You can't in S.C. but the ones near me, has the correct no gun signs up.

Over the past couple of years I have had to visit sick realitives in FL. Last two trips I noticed the hospital was posted and was a teaching hospital. I left it in the car because I did not have the means/time to sort it all out.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Hospitals are Generalized in thier ability to respond to any emergency possible. Because you can't call the pediatric hospital in the midst of a pediatric code for them to come to your hospital to help. However hospitals do have "designations" or "specialties.

Psyche hospitals are hospitals with a psychological treatment center, or inpatient center. Essentially, and dont quote me.. an ER can deal with any patient but if the hospital is not appropriately supplied or staffed for that individual they will transfer. Like a normal hospital without a "maternity" wing will not admit a woman about to poop a child out. They send them to one that does, or the families choise. If a patient needs surgery for a stroke, the hospital where he presented could send him to a designated "stroke" center for that treatment. All hospitals if they have med surg unit they most likely have patients with dementia, or alzhimers they are less likely the ones you need to worry about.

So to answer your question I believe the hospital would need a "psyche wing"

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I checked out handgunlaw.us. It said that in FL you can't carry in a hospital that provides mental care. Don't most major hospitals do this? Does that mean you can't carry to most hospitals in FL?
    Most all hospitals fall under this as they carry some meds that treat mentally ill patients even though they are not mental health hospitals. I think pharmacies fall under this as well.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The great poobah of FL law, Jon Gutmacher, says technically yes, although there is no case law to settle the issue and questions whether one wishes to be that person who tests it in court.

His argument:
    FS 394.458 says it's a 3rd degree felony "except as authorized by law." Seeing as FS 790.06 lists "prohibited places for CC, and hospitals are NOT on the list, technically you are still authorized "by law" to CC.

Use your own best judgement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When I was in a car accident several months ago, I informed the deputy I was carrying (not that I HAVE to, but I made decision to) Once he cleared us to go, he recommended I seek treatment for the pain I was in (I declined EMS because that was overkill and they had their hands full with the driver who hit me) When I told the deputy I was going to go straight to the ER rather than wait the 3 hr drive home he recommended I lock my firearm in my vehicle, but his reasoning was "they will freak out" LOL I wasn't planning on bringing it anyway, when I'd have to worry about securing it for undress and X-rays anyway.

I assume most hospitals provide mental care. Hospitals aren't on the specific "no carry list" by the state but that one's vague enough I'll let one of y'all test it out in the courts first. FL let's us carry most places, I don't sweat locking it up on the rare occasions I make a hospital visit.

On a side note....oFant0mo...we don't "poop a child out" (roll eyes)

Worked many years in a Florida hospital. Most are NOT mental hospitals and carry is fine. Security would prefer you believe otherwise but we had many people come through the ER that were carrying. I carried every day.
    Just having medication does not make it a mental hospital any more than a police substation in a mall or store makes the entire mall a police station.
    The hospital I worked for had three locations. Two were not posted as no carry, but the one in the "urban" area had signs at every door. Security told me there was no law, but the signs in their opinion helped keep the thugs guns out. Of course I doubt "thugs" cared about the signs.
    Tally XD likes this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

All hospitals have the capacity to treat patients that are mental health patients. In the health care setting, the physical well being comes first, if a mental health patient comes into the hospital for a physical ailment, they treat the physical ailment 1st, while maintaining their psychiatric drugs. If they discontinue the drugs because of possible interaction, or other issues, they are still treating a mental health patient.

Unfortunately, in most states, the hospitals are just a no go....
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The great poobah of FL law, Jon Gutmacher, says technically yes, although there is no case law to settle the issue and questions whether one wishes to be that person who tests it in court.

His argument:
    FS 394.458 says it's a 3rd degree felony "except as authorized by law." Seeing as FS 790.06 lists "prohibited places for CC, and hospitals are NOT on the list, technically you are still authorized "by law" to CC.

Use your own best judgement.
    I don't think I want to be the first person to test it.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have certainly carried at my local hospitals and there were no posted signs that I could see.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Unless they are specifically licensed as providing psychiatric services (i.e. have a Psych unit or is a Psych hospital), then they are not excluded by law. Most are posted with signs, but in FL the signs do not hold force of law. If you come in to the ER via ambulance and are carrying, it will most likely be secured and returned to you when you are discharged (standard operating procedure in hospitals).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links