Ccl rejection

This is a discussion on Ccl rejection within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After 7 months I got a rejection letter with 90 days to respond. Reason is in 1971 at age 17 I had a burglary/theft and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ccl rejection

Ccl rejection

After 7 months I got a rejection letter with 90 days to respond. Reason is in 1971 at age 17 I had a burglary/theft and in 1985 a dwi that I didn't report. They are asking for certified copies of judgements and sentences. I am not even sure on how to get info on the 1971 incident. I have done everything but this. Do I even have a chance since the burglary was a felony at age 17?

2. Remove Ads

Contact an attorney. Any answers we give here are only opinions, it sounds like you really need legal assistance.

Good luck.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Were you convicted as an adult in both cases?
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

It has been so long ago but I think so. I think I got 2 yrs probation but was let off in less than a yr. The dwi was a misdemeanor with 2 yrs probation. Paid all dues etc. I don't think the dwi is what they are concerned with. Not sure what records I can even come up with in 1971 in Missouri.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Contact an attorney. Any answers we give here are only opinions, it sounds like you really need legal assistance.

Good luck.
    You are going to really need to follow this advice if you want any good chance of getting it resolved.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Joonbi:

Read up on the following -- TxDPS Concealed Handgun Licensing Program (with links to statutes):

• GC 411.1711. CERTAIN EXEMPTIONS FROM CONVICTIONS.
    • GC 411.172. ELIGIBILITY.

I am not even sure on how to get info on the 1971 incident.
    I'm assuming you can contact the court in the jurisdiction where the offense occurred and get details from them. If you cannot recall where this was, perhaps the background check system has basic details. You ought to be able to track down the info and review the Texas concealed handgun statutes yourself.

Either way, unless it all falls into place once you've dug around a bit, contacting a competent attorney in this area might be your best bet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Any legal advice you receive here is worth exactly what you pay for it. Contact an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by Joonbi View Post
    I am not even sure on how to get info on the 1971 incident?
    I had to get the disposition from a case I was involved in in 1982. Called the court, had a fax in about 2 hours and a certified copy in a few days.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    We have an office, Friend of the Court. Call the courthouse in the district of you conviction. They'll help you, and should even be able to tell you if they have experience with this. Ask if it is something an attorney should help with.

With very limited "white collar" crime exceptions, any felony conviction results in lifetime federal firearms ban. You may not have been disqualified by your state from possessing firearms, but Federal law trumps you over every time...but since you were 17 at the time, the charge may have been adjudicated differently...

Get an attorney. They can access information through channels that wouldn't necessarily appear to you online background check sites and can advise you on the best course of action. Memory fades with the passage of time, and innocent errors on application forms (forgetfulness) aren't all that easily forgiven. Know before you apply....Good Luck!

Hire a qualified attorney.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Hate to say it, but the fact that you didn't tell them about it, may disqualify you for life in Texas. They don't take kindly to applicants signing affidavits, where you are swearing to have told the truth, then they find out later you left something out.

I'd be grateful you weren't summoned to court on pergery charges.

In TX, we have to list all arrests, regardless of disposition, then provide certified court docs of the disposition. An affidavit is then signed, where you swear you haven't left off any material fact.

A felony burglary is a material fact, as is a DUI.

I have the need to explain, cause after reading my post I sound like the thug you all protect yourselves against. I was 17, 41yrs ago. I got a curfew ticket and didn't have money to pay for it. Me and my buddies went to a closed gas station, opened an unlocked window and got less $50.00. I was arrested the next day cause I had put my license in my shirt pocket. It fell out onto the floor. The headlines in the paper read that crime would be alot better if everyone left their calling card. The owner of the station only wanted some old coins back that belonged to his mother, which I gave back. He dropped charges but the state picked it up. This is my recollection. I haven't drank for over 20 yrs and two of my best friends are retired FBI and police. They do know this. Very embarrassing. I own my own business and am very sorry for my past. Funny thing about this is I can still buy firearms and vote.

I think I did tell them of the dwi. I felt since I was a juevinile that the other wasn't necessary.

The DWI probably wouldnt be a problem. And I dont doubt that you are as you say on the straight and narrow. I doubt you will get by with the felony though even if you had reported it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links