Florida CCW and a BCD

Florida CCW and a BCD

This is a discussion on Florida CCW and a BCD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell me what the effects of a Bad Conduct Discharge are on a Florida CCW application? The BCD is considered a misdemeanor, and ...

Thread: Florida CCW and a BCD

Florida CCW and a BCD

Can anyone tell me what the effects of a Bad Conduct Discharge are on a Florida CCW application? The BCD is considered a misdemeanor, and the one in question was not associated with drugs or violence. The CCW application states "Discharged Under Dishonorable Conditions".

You may have some hills to climb, but I'd start here...

Contact Information - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum & good luck in your endeavor.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome to the forum and good luck... I would contact a Lawyer who specializing in this type of thing. I am almost sure you may run into a problem or two with the application. Dont quote me on that, but I would get with a lawyer before submitting anything.

From what I've heard the folks at the dept of Ag can be quite helpful sometimes - never hurts to call them and see if they can clarify...

IAW http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...ements_web.pdf,
    If you were dishonorably discharged from military service, you are automatically disqualified from eligibility.
    The Department of Agriculture also has a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License Preliminary Eligibility Determination on line at Concealed Weapon or Firearm License Preliminary Eligibility Determination, Division of Licensing - FDACS
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Thanks for the input all. I intend on contacting their office 1st thing tomorrow AM to get a better underestanding of their position. A BCD is not a DD, and the ag site does not address it. The military views it as a misdemeanor.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I know a guy with a big chicken dinner who got his CFP in Utah. His was considered a misdemeanor by the military as well. I dont know all his specifics but Utah issued him a permit. Might be good to contact them first though. Good luck.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

...don't know Fla law, but the ATF on buying or owning a gun says:

7. Person Dishonorably Discharged from the Military: A person is considered dishonorably discharged only if he or she was separated from the Armed Forces of the United States as a result of a dishonorable discharge or a dismissal adjudged by a general court-martial. This prohibition does NOT include persons with a bad conduct discharge or any other less than honorable discharge.

...if there was a felony involved, or drug use...that would change outcome...I'd first be sure I could own/buy a firearm under the Federal laws...then go after Fla regulations...

There are quite a few different types of discharges - I don't know how long you were in, or what you did, but you probably learned the basics before you got yours. From worst to best they go like this:

Punitive Discharge:
    Dishonorable - general court martial required. Equivalent to a felony in many states. Desertion, sexual assault, murder...
    Bad Conduct - general or special court martial required. Usually no VA benefits. Often preceded by confinement in military prison.

Administrative Discharge:
    OTH (Other Than Honorable) - worst form of administrative discharge - for misconduct (for adultery, civil matters, etc)
    General - typically for misconduct, still eligible for VA benefits, but not the GI Bill (usually for drug use)
    Honorable - self explanatory

I'd give this a careful read, and see if any of it is even close to applying to you. Putting down something that isn't true on the application is a bad plan. Be careful....
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...ements_web.pdf

Austin

I've purchased a rifle in Florida recently, and the BCD is a misdemeanor not a felony. I had two previous enlistments that are considered honorable by the VA and I receive all of my benefits based upon those previous years of service.

VIP Member
    Florida licensing requirements specifically states Dishonorable Discharge. Since you received a BC Discharge, you should be able to apply without an issue.

MISCELLANEOUS DISQUALIFYING CONDITIONS

If you were dishonorably discharged from military service, you are automatically disqualified from eligibility.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links