It's not easy to always carry

This is a discussion on It's not easy to always carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get some feedback from others with this post. I live in Nashville, TN and it is a very pro-gun area and you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: It's not easy to always carry

I'm looking to get some feedback from others with this post. I live in Nashville, TN and it is a very pro-gun area and you can get concealed carry permits as well. The gun laws around here make it difficult to carry though because even though you can carry concealed, each individual business along with parks and events and such can then take it upon themselves to post "No Firearms" signs at their entrances which prevents you from being able to legally carry from that point forward. Now you have two choices: 1) leave your firearm in the car (or maybe at home if you don't have a car) or 2) illegally carry your weapon on the premises that have posted that they do not allow firearms. I'm wondering how much of a problem this is for others in the concealed carry community. I know the correct answer is to not do anything illegal with a firearm so I'm not really looking for an answer to that question, but more of a "what do you do" or "what's it like in your part of town" in this regard.

Thanks.

Here the signs carry no force of law other than if asked to leave you must leave or face a trespassing charge. I just go on in. Ive only been made once at the dr office when I unexpectedly had my bp taken and had to remove my jacket.
    They didnt ask me to leave or freak out.
    BugDude likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARW3 View Post
    I'm looking to get some feedback from others with this post. I live in Nashville, TN and it is a very pro-gun area and you can get concealed carry permits as well. The gun laws around here make it difficult to carry though because even though you can carry concealed, each individual business along with parks and events and such can then take it upon themselves to post "No Firearms" signs at their entrances which prevents you from being able to legally carry from that point forward. Now you have two choices: 1) leave your firearm in the car (or maybe at home if you don't have a car) or 2) illegally carry your weapon on the premises that have posted that they do not allow firearms. I'm wondering how much of a problem this is for others in the concealed carry community. I know the correct answer is to not do anything illegal with a firearm so I'm not really looking for an answer to that question, but more of a "what do you do" or "what's it like in your part of town" in this regard.

Thanks.
    Ohio has very similar laws, and as always, we each deal with those laws in our own way.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

First off welcome to the forum,

I live in North East TN, over a short period of time you will adjust and have the places you can and will transact with,

a safe in the car (if you have one) for the needed or chosen trips to places that post.

If you are so inclined to do so you can drop off No gun’s No Money cards, make phone calls,

or send emails/letters. It may not do any good then again it could, but you will never know if you do not try.

I am fortunate, not many over here choose to post.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Concealed is concealed just sayin.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    In Utah, signs mean nothing. However, if I was somewhere where they did, I would hand them my card:

NoGunsNoMoney-Variety.gif
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Do "No Concealed Weapons" signs have legal (statutory) teeth in Tennessee?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Here in Virginia signs do not carry the weight of law. If by chance they do discover you carrying, as long as you leave when ask, no foul committed. I personally avoid places that waste their time and mine by posting.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Do "No Concealed Weapons" signs have legal (statutory) teeth in Tennessee?
    Unfortunately yes they do if it meets the minimum requirement for signage.

Considering they added the international circle with a slash as valid to the statute it is hard to get it wrong…
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Yeah, kind of stinks. I think I'm going to try and find someone who works more closely with the gun laws/rules in TN and see if I can get a definite ruling on this one. Having to "put it on" then "take it off" over and over gets old fast. Maybe I should move to Utah. :-)

I simply do not deal with posted places, other than the doctor or work (not "posted" per se, but employees can't carry on the clock).

Unfortunately, my problem is that I ride a bike to work and need to be able to keep my firearm in my backpack with me and the place I work leases space and the people we lease from have posted their little signs at the door entrances.

Quote Originally Posted by ARW3 View Post
    Unfortunately, my problem is that I ride a bike to work and need to be able to keep my firearm in my backpack with me and the place I work leases space and the people we lease from have posted their little signs at the door entrances.
    Understandably a tricky situation. Many people will say carry anyway as your life is more important than a job. I choose to forego carrying when I work as it's so hard to find work around here and I feel quite safe at my job. I'll take the risk. Ultimately it's your call.

I think we need to work on getting the carry laws here in TN changed to eliminate the "Gun Free Zones". A good way to do that is to require any place that wants to post those signs must have armed security to protect individuals inside.

I just uploaded a $0.99 phone app called "Posted" that is community based. When you find a business that is posted, you upload it into the database. Once it has been around a while, it will make our lives easier and maybe brake the bank of the anti businesses.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

One good thing that is coming out of the whole gun control debate right now is the shedding of light on the fact that "gun free zones" are only gun free for the law-abiding citizens, and therefore create easy pickins for criminals who want a high body count. People are actually starting to get it, albeit very slowly. That fact leaves an open door for people to press their legislators to do away with them. Have you contacted your elected representatives?
    BugDude likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links