PRACTICE with a .22 ????

This is a discussion on PRACTICE with a .22 ???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W .38 revolver and a .22 revolver as well as a SR9C and a SR22. Do most of my practicing with the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PRACTICE with a .22 ????

I have a S&W .38 revolver and a .22 revolver as well as a SR9C and a SR22. Do most of my practicing with the .22s due to cost savings. I do shoot the carry weapons also, but not as often. Now all I need is to get my hands on some .22 ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Any and all practice is good practice. While I tend to do most of my range time with the caliber I carry, I very much enjoy .22 plinking. Practice predominately with what you carry but just practicing is more than you can say for some.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Trigger-time is trigger-time. .22 ammo has (generally) a 10-to-1 cost advantage over mainstream centerfire ammo. The most important parts of practice are; front sight, front sight, front sight...press. Your eyes & your finger have no idea what caliber you're shooting. Yep, .22 practice is a GREAT idea!
    Nmuskier likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Bad Idea, while there's nothing wrong with .22's for fun you can't "train" with them. There too drastically different to carry calibers. That would be like "Practicing" to drive an F-350 with a Honda Civic. The basic idea may be the same, but the act different when put to practice.
    Since pros practice with thousands of dry fire drills, recoil seems to be a low priority.

Lets explore what you can accomplish with NO ammo: draw, sight picture, single and multiple target acquisition, trigger squeeze, reload, movement, stance, non-standard shooting positions. Anyone else want to chime in with dry fire drills?

Busting a cap is the last step in marksmanship. Recoil hides errors. I begin with dry fire warm ups. Then, I move to my Sig mosquito .22. Finally, I move to my carry pistols beginning with 9mm and moving up. I repeat the warm up process with each gun unloaded, then I dry fire, and finally fire a live round. Recoil management is a part of marksmanship, but they're are many other skills as well.

Yes, .22 is a wonderful tool.
    Eichorn likes this.

Bad Idea, while there's nothing wrong with .22's for fun you can't "train" with them. There too drastically different to carry calibers. That would be like "Practicing" to drive an F-350 with a Honda Civic. The basic idea may be the same, but the act different when put to practice.
    I believe this to be utter & complete nonsense! So, would you would rather loan your F-350 to someone who hadn't ever before driven a motor vehicle, or to someone who had driven for 10 years...in a Honda Civic?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lets explore what you can accomplish with NO ammo: draw, sight picture, single and multiple target acquisition, trigger squeeze, reload, movement, stance, non-standard shooting positions. Anyone else want to chime in with dry fire drills?
    Not a whole lot to add to this. You can also do weapon transitions and malfunction drills.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

I guess you can also practice sex without a partner, but you're not gonna' get much feedback on your proficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I guess you can also practice sex without a partner, but you're not gonna' get much feedback on your proficiency.
    But no complaints I expect

I have a Bersa that I carry a good bit. They make a 22 that is very similar, been thinking about buying one. Don't see how it could possibly hurt anything to shoot the 22 version and I can see all sorts of advantages to any range time with any weapon.

PRACTICE with a .22 ????

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I use a .22LR conversion slide on my Glock 30. 50-100 rounds of that and 50 of .45s is a good workout. Same trigger, same action, less wear and tear on the hand.

Any practice is good practice.
    Anyone have any recommendations on 22 conversion with a Glock 19?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    100 rounds a month with my carry gun and 300-400 rounds a month with my .22. When ammo is found a little more easily for my carry gun I will go back to 200 rounds a month in my carry gun.

cj
    Was going to chime in as well on dry fire drills...there's a lot of benefit from there...but a .22 really shows you how you're doing on fundamentals. I shoot bullseye with .22s in the winter, and nothing quite emphasizes the fundamentals like that. Once I get back to the my other pistols when the range thaws and dries out enough to not lose boots in, the winter of practice really shows!

You could also practice with a green gas blowback airsoft gun. They make plenty that function just like "real" guns. I have one made to function like a glock. I use it to practice home defense tactics when the family is out and i have the place to myself.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations on 22 conversion with a Glock 19?
    Rather than converting your GLOCK, I would suggest simply buying a .22 autoloading pistol. The Ruger Mk? and Browning Buckmark come immediately to mind. For just a bit more than the cost of a conversion you can have an entire second firearm. Most of the GLOCK .22 conversions I've shot aren't very accurate. While the Ruger or Browning mentioned can be very, VERY (squirrel hunting) accurate. And that's just more FUN!

VIP Member
    Can't say that I agree. A number of militaries around the world, including our own have had 22 trainers. It is all about the fundamentals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links