PRACTICE with a .22 ????

PRACTICE with a .22 ????

This is a discussion on PRACTICE with a .22 ???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a few videos where the shooter Practices shooting, tactical, etc. with a .22 to allow for more practice time due to the inexpensive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PRACTICE with a .22 ????

PRACTICE with a .22 ????

I've seen a few videos where the shooter Practices shooting, tactical, etc. with a .22 to allow for more practice time due to the inexpensive loads. Anybody do this? Good idea/Bad idea?
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Great idea if you can find the ammo to buy to practice with now....
    blanco64, onacoma and Mecread like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I had a C4-C5 Fusion in my neck in 1995. The doctor said no heavy bumps or stretching for 8 months. I bought a Ruger 45/22 Gun which operated just like my 45ACP Springfield Armory gun which I was shooting in IPSC. Mag release and safety in the same location. All was well and after healing I was back to full load ammo. Still have the gun along with 4 bricks of 22LR ammo and 8 extra mags for the gun. This one is a keeper.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I tend to train with the same firearm i carry but 22 practice is good. As long as you dont do it to the exclusion of never training with your carry weapon.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Practicing with .22LR is great exercise for trigger and grip control as well as target acquisition. As said above, you will still need practice with your duty or carry weapon though.

.22LR though has become very expensive and harder to find.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

...my first handgun was a revolver...a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe 4"...$41.50 new...I put a brick (500) through it every weekend for almost a year...when .22 shorts were $5.50 a brick...and got to where I could shoot really well...the gun worked like a S&WM10...the size was a tad less...that practice has helped me be a proficient revolver shooter all my life...with many other styles and sizes...the key to practice is that we're practicing GOOD habits...not bad ones...
    ...most pistols use .22 LR...a lot more expensive...even in the bulk packs often found at Walmart...but if you're shooting a pistol a lot...I'd say get a pistol of like features and practice with the .22...

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Practicing with .22LR is great exercise for trigger and grip control as well as target acquisition. As said above, you will still need practice with your duty or carry weapon though.

.22LR though has become very expensive and harder to find.
    Absolutely. .22 practice is economical and allows you to practice the fundamentals which sometimes get a bit mucky when shooting centerfire pistols. I find that I shoot better with my centerfires after a session with a .22. I have benefited from air gun practice as well. I have even considered setting up an air gun range in my basement.
    RoadRunner71 and Ransom like this.

Of course you should always practice with the weapon you're going to carry, but using a .22 for practice is perfectly fine. It will still keep the fundamentals sharp (i.e. smooth trigger pull, breathing, etc.)

VIP Member
    Provided the .22 is similar enough to your carry weapon, you can do alot of training with one. I find that the only thing they are not good for is multiple shot exercises due to the lack of appreciable recoil. It just isn't realistic. Other than that, .22's are a very cost-effective training tool.

Oh, and they are just a heck of a lot of fun too!
    Ransom likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Somehow the term "common sense" comes to mind.

VIP Member
    Use a .22 as a training tool to supplement your EDC.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My system below. I shoot the .22 at least three times a week and the .38 once every two weeks. Blue gunis for in the house drills and retention practice. I have to travel to the indoor range 30 miles away for the .38 but I shoot the .22 in my garage using a Champion .22 bullet trap. The S&W 317 has the same trigger pull as the 642 so the motions and muscle memory skills are the same.

8FB402241AE34016BC01045BF5AE0888-0000317266-0002133051-00640L-F58FD5A140834D06A7904A3779ACA78D.jpg
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    I've seen a few videos where the shooter Practices shooting, tactical, etc. with a .22 to allow for more practice time due to the inexpensive loads. Anybody do this? Good idea/Bad idea?
    Bad Idea, while there's nothing wrong with .22's for fun you can't "train" with them. There too drastically different to carry calibers. That would be like "Practicing" to drive an F-350 with a Honda Civic. The basic idea may be the same, but the act different when put to practice.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I use a .22LR conversion slide on my Glock 30. 50-100 rounds of that and 50 of .45s is a good workout. Same trigger, same action, less wear and tear on the hand.

Any practice is good practice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I practice with anything I can including a BB gun when that's all I have time and space for. I bought a BB trap at Wally World and can sit in the neighborhood and practice trigger control all day long. A .22 is just fine for practicing. Any practice is good practice.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links