Defensive Carry banner

SUAREZ Defensive Pistol Skills Training

2K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  shadowwalker 
#1 ·
Anybody have experience with Suarez?

They are offering a 2-day training in my area and was looking for some feedback.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have not taken that class but I have taken the Close Range Combat class... Enjoyed it very much and learned a lot.

#4 ·
Good people great training. That is one of their entry level classes for folks that have not done a lot of gun handling and shooting on a Hot Range. I have done 4 classes with them and learned lots from each one.

#6 ·
Take it!!!!

#7 ·
I haven't but I've heard nothing but good things about them. What I like is how realistic the training seems with an emphasis on shooting while on the move (getting off of the X) and airsoft force on force. They seem more realistic than some of the other square range training courses. there is a lot of info on training/classes and equipment talk over on Warrior Talk Forums This includes what they call after action reports where students write in about the class they took.

They also offer carbine, long range shooting classes and they have a doctor who teaches a medical course. This group is also big on retaining mags. Their philosophy is that we're civilians and we don't have a supply chain to get us new mags. If I could I would take a couple of their classes.

#9 ·
Now do you have the ammo to use in the course?

#16 ·
Expound? Bad experience? Read a bad review? He was your neighbor and refused to mow his grass?

In all seriousness, it is not very helpful to just say "I wouldn't" without giving the OP (and others) anything to go on. For those making a decision and seeking info, negative input can be very helpful...if it's useful info.

#11 ·
I have taken three classes from Suarez, and they are fantastic. They are what I called reality based, and not absolutely stuck in the "my way or the highway" mentality at some other schools. I recommend them highly.

#13 ·
I've taken Defensive Pistol Skills, Point Shooting and Close Range Gun Fighting from Suarez. I found all of the classes to be excellent, well run and very educational. You will enjoy Defensive Pistol. Take the others if at all possible, especially Close Range Gunfighting.

#14 ·
Just signed up for the Combat Pistol Marksmanship course by Suarez to be held in 2 weeks. Getting excited thinking about it already.
Will use my Walther PPS. Can't wait.

#15 ·
I took Defensive Pistol Skills last summer and am currently trying to save for Close Range Gunfighting.
While I have not taken a class by another company to compare it to, I think Suarez offers a great starter class in Defensive Pistol Skills.

They take you from proper sight alignment and trigger press to a complete draw from holster with multiple shots on multiple targets. All teaching is focused solely on the teaching you the most effective way to defend yourself with a gun. They don't bother with anything unnecessary.

#20 ·
People change, but some can never let it go. I suppose those who criticize Gabe have never did anything at all wrong?

I've taken two classes with Gabe himself and he is nothing like the internet rumors paint him to be.

A few other classes and training group sessions with Randy Harris (Cruel Hand Luke on this site). I am signed up to take Tactical Medicine for CCW with Dr. John Meade in June 2013.

All the training has been top notch and very much worth the price of admission.

Who is going to be your instructor?

#21 ·
One thing about the net if I have a beef with someone I can write an article post it and there will be those who believe every thing I say. Truth be dammed, it's on the internet so it has to be true.

As to Gabe and what is told on the net about him, he has posted his side and I for one believe it to be true. I see nothing that can be damming for life. Mostly what I saw was a power struggle and someone with power had a bone to pick. As to his training I have taking several class under other SI instructors and believe I got more than my moneys worth. SI has a different view of what is needed to be taught to those who carry a gun to protect themselves than others and has ruffled feathers on many instructors that I call target shooter instructors. But to each his/her own.

I know where my training money will be spent.

Reactions: JD
#22 ·
I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I do like knowing where areas on concerns are, so I can do my own digging. Actions speak to character, and character goes a long way with me.

I also believe change is possible, and want to give others the same freedom and opportunities to change that I'd like.

It sounds like there are several who've had direct experience with his training company and instruction who've been happy. I'm sure there are others with the opposite. If I only hear one side, it's harder to make a wise decision.

And everything I've just written is true. It's on the Internet.

#25 ·
He does have a lot of fans here.
Not just here.

With those 30 instructors Roger mentions, teaching at home and traveling, SI probably teaches more students than any other school in the country. Many of the more popular courses often fill up quickly and have a waiting list.

That would not be happening if the training was crap.

#24 ·
Gabe only teaches a handful of courses a year and the rest of the SI instructors (including me) teach many......many more. Gabe use to be "the man" of Suarez International (SI) and now he is just one of the men that do a very good job instructing for SI.

I know and have trained with most of the SI instructors and have never worked with a better group of guys. SI has over 30 Instructors now and to dismiss all 30 instructors due to not liking one guy does not make a lot of sense.

#26 ·
As I said earlier, I have taken a few SI classes. As to Gabe, I don't know the man. As to his alleged runs in with the legal system, I guess I am not asking him to marry my sister. As to the classes, I have talked with many who have taken other national training courses, and frankly, I have no problem with them. However, as someone else said, many seem to be more along the lines of target shooting/bullseye work than down and dirty street defense which is what SI excels at. For example, the "modern technique" as taught by some consider "point shooting" to border if not cross over into heresy and the worst thing since the black death. Having taken the SI Point Shooting Progressions course, I came aways with a very different point of view. I am not interested at "winning at the games." My interest was and is a hard reality based program of instruction. SI has provided me with that and a great deal more. I have been doing this stuff for a very long time. When I took my first SI course, some of the things I was told and asked to do intitially went against the grain. All I was asked was to keep an open mind. I did that and came away with a very different pont of view. Maybe SI is not for everyone. So be it. I would suggest that the critics take a course from them if for no other reason than to lend credibility to their criticisms if they still exist after the course.

Reactions: JD and remington79
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.