NC concealed carry help!

This is a discussion on NC concealed carry help! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for some answers on getting my concealed carry in NC. I am worried that I will not be able to get my ccw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NC concealed carry help!

NC concealed carry help!

I'm looking for some answers on getting my concealed carry in NC. I am worried that I will not be able to get my ccw due to all the media attention around mental health. I apologize for a long post, but I think I will get more accurate answers if I tell the entire story. A few years ago I was dealing with the loss of a loved one. It was a very rough time for me considering how close we were. I ended up getting help from a out patient program. I was never committed, never attempted to hurt myself, or anyone else. I was just incredibly depressed and reached out for help. After the outpatient program I was on anti depressant for about 6 months while attending counseling. I have learned how to deal with the loss and am no longer in need of counseling or medication and havent been for around 3 years. I have heard of people being turned down just for being on an antidepressant. That is ridiculous. Considering the person I lost was shot and killed, I fully understand the responsibility that comes with a gun and the value of human life. I am a proud gun owner now and sadly feel it is necessary to carry a firearm, because of the nut jobs that DO NOT obey the law and want to harm those that do. Will my past mental health history be an issue? Also would a non resident CCW in FL. Be easier to get?? Thanks, sorry again for the length.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think it's more of an issue if you've been "judged" mentally incompetant by a court. " is not currently or has not been adjudicated or administratively determined to be lacking mental capacity or mentally ill;"

We're all a litttle crazy. I'm no authority on NC permits, but if NC won't issue, who knows if Fl will either. By the way, Fl doesn't have "non-resident" licenses, only licenses issues to non-residents. It's the same as residents.
    crossfireltd likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thank you for the reply. I guess I'm a little confused about the ccw permit in Florida. From everything I've seen online you can live in another state and get a ccw that would cover NC and around 30 other states. It also didn't look like you had to sign a mental health release which is why I was interested.

RSV
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think it's more of an issue if you've been "judged" mentally incompetant by a court. " is not currently or has not been adjudicated or administratively determined to be lacking mental capacity or mentally ill;"

We're all a litttle crazy. I'm no authority on NC permits, but if NC won't issue, who knows if Fl will either. By the way, Fl doesn't have "non-resident" licenses, only licenses issues to non-residents. It's the same as residents.
    Completely agree with OldVet.
    Aceoky likes this.

RSV
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncsu View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I guess I'm a little confused about the ccw permit in Florida. From everything I've seen online you can live in another state and get a ccw that would cover NC and around 30 other states. It also didn't look like you had to sign a mental health release which is why I was interested.
    Consider AZ and/or UT as well. I'm unaware of any "mental health release" required in their application(s), I believe they follow federal disqualifiers. Can't speak for states other than these, but IL, which does not have CCW, makes one sign away their rights to mental health information and this is just for their damn FOID card.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL CWFL Disqualifiers:

DISQUALIFYING CONDITIONS: MENTAL HEALTH HISTORY

If you have been adjudicated incapacitated, adjudicated as a mental defective, or committed to a mental institution, you will be deemed ineligible unless you have received a presidential pardon or been granted relief from federal firearms disabilities.

Also, some states only honor another state's permit if the holder is a resident of that other state. No "third party" permits allowed. Don't know what NC does., but that's the way it is in FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If I remember right, the question on the form is have you ever been involuntarily committed to an in patient mental health facility,or have you ever been adjudicated to be mentally incapacitated. I'm sorry for your loss and am glad you are doing well now.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Not 100% sure about NC but many states require that you have a permit from that state if you live there. Being a resident of NC may mean that the FL permit is of no use to you within NC. You may want to check state laws on this before bothering with a Florida permit.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Thanks everybody for the solid info!

In NC you should be fine. Non of what you said should disqualify you. Any medical records will verify that if you're sure all was as stated.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

NC concealed carry help!

NC does not require that as an NC resident you have an NC permit.

I carry on a Fla. and Va. Permit (and have been for years)

I have been through the police interrogation after drawing my gun on someone (thank god I did not have to shoot)...

But by all means, check the statutes for yourself and satisfy yourself it is okay... NCGS 14-415.24

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    NC does not require that as an NC resident you have an NC permit.

I carry on a Fla. and Va. Permit (and have been for years)

I have been through the police interrogation after drawing my gun on someone (thank god I did not have to shoot)...

But by all means, check the statutes for yourself and satisfy yourself it is okay... NCGS 14-415.24

Can you purchase a pistol in NC with a VA or FL ccw?

NC checks to see if you've ever been committed to a mental heath facility. Otherwise, you should be fine.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

http://www.stanlysheriff.us/CCWupdat...icationpg3.pdf

Question #7 would not apply to you. You were never adjudicated mentally ill, or admistratively determined to be lacking mental capacity. There's nothing wrong with being treated for depression following an incident like the one you described.

NC concealed carry help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ncsu View Post
    Can you purchase a pistol in NC with a VA or FL ccw?
    No.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links