20 year old in SC looking to get CWP when I turn 21

This is a discussion on 20 year old in SC looking to get CWP when I turn 21 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fist off a little background story: I was arrested in 2010 at the age of 18 for a felony charge (non violent), and convicted of ...

Thread: 20 year old in SC looking to get CWP when I turn 21

20 year old in SC looking to get CWP when I turn 21

Fist off a little background story:

I was arrested in 2010 at the age of 18 for a felony charge (non violent), and convicted of a misdemeanor. I went through condition discharge and had it completely expunged from my record.

My first question is if this would be a problem. I assume because it was a non violent crime and that it was completely expunged it will not be. However, I would like to get a second opinion.

Finally, I'm not 100% sure on the process to apply for the CWP. I know that I have to take classes (I know of a local place, Allen Arms), and then send in an application to SLED. Is that about it?

I may have more questions as I'm quite new to this.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

That is pretty much it, plus the fingerprint cards. The paperwork you send into SLED has to contain the fingerprint cards, your check for the application fee, the certificate of proficiency with firearms from the class, and the application. You may want to check with the place you are taking your class. I took mine at ATP in Charleston, after the class the instructors assisted everybody with completing the application and they even fingerprinted everybody with the proper reference cards. Once the Application, was completed they mailed the application into SLED for us. The cost of the class included the application fee so we did not have to cut SLED a check to mail in with the application, they provided it. If you can find a place that does all that it will be pretty painless as far as turning the application in.

Thank you for the solid information beni! I'm pretty sure Allen Arms does all of the classes, helps you with all of the paperwork, and gives you free range time!

Any input on the expunged arrest?

Also, what is your daily carry? Just curious, as I'm a smaller guy and have been eyeing the Ruger LC9. I've shot it quite a few times and it feels fantastic in my hands. Also, I've heard it is quite accurate and I have been seeming to get some great results.

You might want to check out Handgunlaw.us for some good information that will be helpful to you as a prospective CC'er.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    You might want to check out Handgunlaw.us for some good information that will be helpful to you as a prospective CC'er.
    Sounds good, I'll give all of that a good read. Basically just read through all of this? I already know a lot of the SC handgun and concealed carry laws. I've been looking forward to this, as well as shooting, for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ndoubleyoua View Post
    Thank you for the solid information beni! I'm pretty sure Allen Arms does all of the classes, helps you with all of the paperwork, and gives you free range time!

Any input on the expunged arrest?

Also, what is your daily carry? Just curious, as I'm a smaller guy and have been eyeing the Ruger LC9. I've shot it quite a few times and it feels fantastic in my hands. Also, I've heard it is quite accurate and I have been seeming to get some great results.
    As far as the expunged arrest goes I assume that since it is off your record that you would be good to go. However, don't quote me on that. I don't know if expunged means that the arrest itself is removed or just the conviction. Plus even though it is expunged they may still want you to indicate on the application that you were arrested. Your best bet maybe to contact the SLED licensing division to see what they recommend for that portion of the application (803) 896-7015. If they can't answer your question then I would contact an attorney for their opinion. Stephen Shaw is an attorney in the upstate region that has experience with 2A issues to include representing people filing for appeals for denied CWP applications. In the future when I plan to purchase NFA items, I will be going to him for an NFA trust. I would recommend asking SLED first since any advice you get from an attorney might have a fee. His website is SteveShawLaw.com

I either carry a Glock 19 in a crossbreed supertuck holster, or a Ruger LCR .357 in an Highnoon IWB holster or OWB. I may also rotate a HK USP compact .45 into the rotation after I get more trigger time on the gun, to get used to the DA/SA trigger. Can't go wrong with an LC9 as Ruger makes some really great guns.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Just because your record was expunged, does not mean it won't show up on a criminal background check conducted by SLED.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    When I took my class, we were advised to list all arrests and even traffic tickets and the results of each. The idea is it is better for you to tell SLED than SLED find out something you did not divulge. I ran a background check on myself and even though none of my long ago traffic infractions came up I included them all.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The truth shall set you free.

If you omit it, they will find it. Most states are concerned about "convictions" or ongoing issues, above the traffic citation level, not arrests, but each state should say in their permit applications. Answer what they ask. If they ask for traffic tickets, provide it. If not, don't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thank you for advice everyone, especially beni. I will be contacting SLED and asking them about it. As far as the application goes, I have no qualms about putting on it what I was arrested for.

I may also contact Steven Shaw. It will be better to have solid information than be in the dark, especially when it comes to something as serious as a concealed carry permit.

Edit: To make this easier for everyone I will go ahead and let everyone know about my arrest.

I was wrongfully arrested for the distribution of Marijuana 3 years ago (felony). When I got an attorney and went to court I was convicted of simple possession of Marijuana. I completed conditional discharge, and had the arrest/conviction expunged off of my record. Since then I have completely stopped my use of the drug. I have no other arrests/problems and that was my first offense. Other than that, I have had one or two small speeding tickets since then.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    When I took my class, we were advised to list all arrests and even traffic tickets...
    You had to list TRAFFIC TICKETS?!? Wow, it's a VERY good thing I live in Kentucky (for LOTS of reasons) but I'm an old, old guy and the dozens of speeding infractions/citations of my wild, ancient youth have long since slipped into the unrecoverable recesses of my wrinkled old brain. You might as well ask me the license plate number of my first girlfriend's car! (BTW, it was a '71 454HO Trans Am, which explains at least a few of my speeding tickets. A blonde cheerleader with a badass Muscle Car, I thought I ruled...the world. )
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links