Good grief! Please be responsible

This is a discussion on Good grief! Please be responsible within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the recent events, as most know, Many are heading out to get their CCL and their choice of carry pistol. For the average ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Good grief! Please be responsible

With all the recent events, as most know, Many are heading out to get their CCL and their choice of carry pistol.
    For the average responsible adult.... it would seem like common sense to research the laws, gun choice, safety... you know... the important stuff.

I got to talking to a salesmen at a local gun shop while picking up some more ammo... and what he has been seeing is a little disconcerting.
    More than just a few times, People had come into the shop, explain they had their CCL and were on the hunt so to speak for a new pistol....
    Many would just ask the sales rep, "what should I get? I want something big."
    After asking a few more questions, many of the people had never even touched a gun. They had never taken any safety classes....basically the only knowledge (or folly in this case)
    was what they have seen on tv and movies.... They would proceed to purchase a gun that looked "badass" ) buy ammo, and then ask if they could load it right there before they left...
    ... I wasn't sure what to say to him.
    So if your new to firearms and you want to get your CCL and carry... Right on. This forum has many people here willing to help out... Please, Please use common sense, and look up the important stuff
    Exacto, mano3, 3wggl and 10 others like this.

Many states, mine included, require a gun safety course as part of the cpl training requirements. Even in states that have no training requirements, I'd highly advise people to seek training. Perhaps gun dealers who are concerned about these type of customers can provide information on local training oppertunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Many states, mine included, require a gun safety course as part of the cpl training requirements. Even in states that have no training requirements, I'd highly advise people to seek training. Perhaps gun dealers who are concerned about these type of customers can provide information on local training opportunities.
    I would hope that they are at least offering some info on it...
    The sales rep seemed a little worried about it also...

You mean all those movies with GG shootin BGs all over town all one or two shot kills from a block away with a 9mm , guys beinknocked half a block backward shot with a Judge and all that aint good trainin?? I cant take on four swat teams with a Glock and two spare mags???

Dang it, now i gotta get a bigger gun and wait for a new movie to learn from before I start crime fightin. And I had my costume all sewed up and ready too. DRAT!!!!!
    sauerpuss likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'll second that. And also, while my family's safety is second to nothing, including my own life and freedom, after much consideration and thought I have concluded that I need to NOT BE IN JAIL in order to continue to protect my family. Hence, I'll need to know and understand my state's firearms laws (and those of any state I choose to carry in under reciprocity!) like the back of my hand so following them is almost instinctual in the event I ever need to use my firearm to stop a threat.

Cheers and be safe,

Gav
    Last edited by GunsAndViolince; January 29th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    sauerpuss, BugDude and gregnsc like this.

Georgia, my state, does not require any training. I must say I do find it a bit disconcerting to think about the number of weapons are in the hands of people that have not taken the time to train with that weapon. Georgia has a big gun lobby that believes in training, just not mandated by the state. I have to disagree with this mentality; some is better than nothing.
    I go to my local range on a regular basis and I am seeing people come in with the handgun still in the box buying range ammo, thinking this will make them safer. It might, but I think not. I talked to a lady that was at the range having never been to one before. I asked why now? "I thought it better now than wait". Her head is in the right place, the execution of the plan is all wrong.

Owning a handgun and carrying a handgun holds a big distinction. Making a leap from one to the other is one that people do not always think through.

GeorgiaCarry
    vilecanards and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While at a recent gun show I started talking to a younger looking guy who wad in the process of paying for a Barrett 50 BMG rifle. I asked him if he was into collecting or competition shooting, his reply "no I plan on using it for home security". At that point I just walked away and shook my head.
    AZ_Larz_NY, 0331 and rammerjammer like this.

...surprised that Canada has CCL...more surprised that you can get one without qualifying on a range or instruction...salesmen have been known to spin a few yarns...all that time on their hands, waiting for the next customer/victim, you know...

...while not on a par with Encyclopedia Brittannica, Wiki says CCL in Canada exists, but VERY hard to obtain... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    I'll second that. And also, while my family's safety is second to nothing, including my own life and freedom, after much consideration and throught I have concluded that I need to NOT BE IN JAIL in order to continue to protect my family. Hence, I'll need to know and understand my state's firearms laws (and those of any state I choose to carry in under reciprocity!) like the back of my hand so following them is almost instinctual in the event I ever need to use my firearm to stop a threat.

Cheers and be safe,

Gav
    I'm in WA and there is no class needed... BUT I have been around guns since a very young age... My dad, and also uncle made it very clear it was dangerous and demanded safety and respect.
    While I was waiting for my permit, I studied and studied the gun laws for WA and OR (waiting for my OR permit) and also picked my sisters brain (she is a LEO)

This is how it works in Virginia if you want a CHP. Pretty minimal requirements, but I suppose it's better than nothing. Unfortunately, thanks to online courses, it's still possible to get a CHP without ever touching a firearm.

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
    Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
    Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
    Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
    Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
    Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
    Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

No applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

...now it all makes sense...Vancouver WASHINGTON...thankyouberrymuch, I was just leaving...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...surprised that Canada has CCL...more surprised that you can get one without qualifying on a range or instruction...salesmen have been known to spin a few yarns...all that time on their hands, waiting for the next customer/victim, you know...

...while not on a par with Encyclopedia Brittannica, Wiki says CCL in Canada exists, but VERY hard to obtain... Concealed carry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by paynetrain1988 View Post
    While at a recent gun show I started talking to a younger looking guy who wad in the process of paying for a Barrett 50 BMG rifle. I asked him if he was into collecting or competition shooting, his reply "no I plan on using it for home security". At that point I just walked away and shook my head.
    LMAO!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by paynetrain1988 View Post
    I cant imagine trying to use that for home defense!

I haven't seen it alot,but,i've noticed a couple of people,who has their ccw permits,don't try to remember the laws for carrying, or don't care.A man here went thru a license ck,this past xmas.My bro-inlaw is a cop,and was one of the one's working it that night.A man pulls up,and he gives my bro-in-law his ccw.He had a 357 revolver, in a holster,under the seat of his truck.In S.C.,if its not on you,it better be in a closed compartment.That's been the law in S.C for a long time.People need to keep going over the laws once in a while.They could have pulled his ccw for that,but,he got just a fine.In S.C. you do have to complete an 8hr class,for ccw.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    These are "panic" buyers, Obama will make gun salesman of the year again. WE all need to help educate those who are in this mode.
    Mecread and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links