Carrying with Badly Painful and Diseased Hands? - Page 2

Carrying with Badly Painful and Diseased Hands?

This is a discussion on Carrying with Badly Painful and Diseased Hands? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has the same problem as does one of my older male students. I put both of them in a Walther P22, use zipper ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Carrying with Badly Painful and Diseased Hands?

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    My wife has the same problem as does one of my older male students. I put both of them in a Walther P22, use zipper hollow points and you will at the very least get someone's atention. I have a nephew in prison who killed 3 equally bad guys using a Ruger.22. They are not the best stopper, but are the best you can get a hit with and only hits count.
    detective likes this.

Just an add on here. While a 22 can get a one shot kill its not the norm. I have been shot accidently in the chest with one. A glancing straight back into me hit in the sternum. Even after spending most of its energy hitting a knot on a tree limb under the coon i was shooting at and coming straight back it made it to the bone and stopped. And it hurt like the very dickens including intense burning from the hot bullet.
    Id suggest if you go that route getting high capacity pistol with as long a barrel as you can conceal. And practice moving back sideways whatever while pouring a steady stream of the little snarlers into the BG.

Some will say hollow points but after seeing actual 22 bullets that passed thru humans or taken from them Id stick to solids.
    Penetration is what your after with the 22 and 80 percent of the 22 bullets ive seen or known about used on a human flattened and distorted until using ballistics on the bullet to determine the gun was useless. They were flattened twisted fragged to the point no rifling marks could be detected.

Same as a larger caliber once a hollow point starts expanding the bullet starts slowing and penetration is worsened. You dont want the 22 penetration to be hindered since it isnt that great anyway. JMO based on what ive actually seen.
    detective likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Iíll second the 22, I have arthritis in both thumbs also although not as bad as yours and some days a 22 is all I can shoot without additional pain and as you said 10 rounds should change some bad guys minds.
    Well, in NY state now its 7 rounds- even of .22, I don't mind so much with higher calibers but .22? but I'm gonna get real good on fast magazine switches for that.

I wish I knew what a .22 magnum felt like - I'd be temped for a revolver in that caliber. Semi-autos are barely existent in 22 Mag and I think I read somewhere are not reliable with 22 magnum.

Anyway,I can't afford another gun I can't shoot well due to pain. I already have to sell my 45s, one with just 150 rounds down the pipe. I have a Colt Python 357 magnum too but that I keep - even if I have to shoot it with my toes! It's not going ANYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The Beretta 21 is available in .22 and .25, as well as the Tomcat in .32 if you're able. Those have small grips and are easy to shoot and manipulate with hand or strength issues. If you are having trouble aiming or gripping, Crimson Trace makes laser grips for them. I have several and the Tomcat served well when my wife broke her elbow last year. She carried the .32 and we pracitced with the .22 I had set up as a training gun. If yoh're wearing hand splints and look like you're having trouble you may look like a target, I'd carry whatever you can control and practice fast follow up shots. Good luck.
    Yeah, know what you mean about being a "mark". I'm 65 and white-haired too. Perps like to hit older people - cowards!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I hear you on the FiveSeveN already being super light in the recoil department but, it sounds like you are at the point where you need to do as much as humanly possible to negate any and all further damage to your hands or your shooting days may soon be over.
    You're right, though I deny it, I really have to watch it. That dominant hand wrist/thumb joint is really shot (no pun). Won't take much more. Doc doesn't want me shooting period, but I don't care -- if I practice some and decide a good bet for Carry which you guys are really helping me with it I can be careful and wear my splints. I mean, it's my behind out there... before i had a permit I got into trouble once. Never forget the feeling after (during it I was oddly calm): no where to run, no where to hide. I NEVER want to be in that position again.

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    Detective,

Sorry to hear about the latest problem with your hands. I'm going through the same quandry. I finally had the VA appointment that they have been postponing for 3 months. The doctor I saw the first time rotated out and my option was to wait a month for the new guy or travel 500 miles to the next nearest VA hospital. I chose to wait because I hate to travel. Anyway, he said the damage was more than just the thumb joint (its gone into the wrist as well) and the chances of it being as successful as the left one was "0". He said they have a pretty big backlog and not to hold my breath.

I'm wondering if I'll still be able to use my compact .45. I tried it with the wrist brace on and it wasn't to bad but thats not really practical. The only other carry pistol I have is a NAA Guardian .380 for pocket carry. The recoil on it is a bit unpleasent because of the blowback operation and its hard to get out of my pocket with the wrist brace on. The Buffalo Bore ammo doesn't help. I'm going to wait as long as I can until I have to decide but if I wind up having to use a .22 then so be it. I don't care what others think of the lowly .22, its better than nothing. I hope you'll post when you reach a solution, your situation hits very close to home.
    We're both in the same boat and I appreciate and am very sorry for your own damage - my advice is to lose the 45 - that's asking for further damage.
    Hey, we'll Carry what we can shoot with - as one poster said: our minds are our best weapon. People have saved themselves with everything under the sun including their bare hands. A .22 may not be our choice if our hands were healthy, but that's the way it is. And we're lucky: look at the horrors that happen to people, crippled completely, body or mind. A female officer in my area was shot thru the neck on duty - a young woman she now lives, 4 years after, on a respirator paralyzed for life from mid-neck down.

So, we're lucky!

The. Kel Tec PMR 30 is a reliable, though not especially accurate, .22mag. If you are limited to 7 rounds (?!?!?) that leaves a lot of wasted magazime space though. I still scratch my head at that law.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have no expierience with a 22 mag. I think there are 7 shot revolvers in 22. I havent fooled with a 22 except for rifles for a while so Ive not really looked. sorry I forgot you were in the land of the lucky 7
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Carrying with Badly Painful and Diseased Hands?

I don't understand, if you can shoot the 57 w/o difficulty it seems the obvious answer is to choose it and practice?

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The. Kel Tec PMR 30 is a reliable, though not especially accurate, .22mag. If you are limited to 7 rounds (?!?!?) that leaves a lot of wasted magazime space though. I still scratch my head at that law.
    Yeah, can't see that 10 was too much. I checked with Kel-Tec once, no even 10-round mags.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I don't understand, if you can shoot the 57 w/o difficulty it seems the obvious answer is to choose it and practice?

-john
    I may, but I'll do .22 until more proficient with the 5.7. It's the hand-splints: they definitely help recoil but are thick and make drawing and aiming fast more difficult than usual. But I need them so....

With .22 I may be able to do without the splints. I mean .22 is only like a slight bump. I'll try my .22 without the splints next time I go to range and see what's what.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    If you are willing to experiment with a new gun you might try a S&W JFrame in .22 magnum (all steel would be perfect, I think) or a Ruger LCR in the same caliber.

Jim
    detective likes this.

Can't remember for sure, but I believe CCI has a 22 magnum. cartridge with the Gold Dot 40 grain bullet. This in a 7 or 8 shot revolver or even it it is 5 or 6 might be perfect for you. Recoil should be minimal. Only question is if you have the strength for the trigger pull. It's a great bullet combo and made with SD in mind.
    Best wishes to you.
    detective likes this.

VIP Member
    I have shot 22Mag in a Ruger Single-Six after swapping the cylinders, no real difference in recoil but a bit louder muzzle blast.
    detective likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I also must add my voice to these comments. We Baby Boomers are entering a phase of our life where physical limitations compromise our ability to defend ourselves. We are getting old at a very bad time in American history. Our parents and grandparents never dreamed of the need to actually carry a concealed weapon in their golden years.

My muscular degeneration makes it impossible for me to handle any pistol recoil above a .22/5.7mm. Better to have a smaller caliber weapon which you can fire with confidence, than a large caliber one that you may not be able to handle. Four years ago when I obtained my CCW permit, my physical affliction was not a factor. I had no problem qualifying with my .45. Renewal last year was a big problem, as the .45 almost jumped out of my grasp. Requalification next year is problematic - I will see if I can use my 5.7mm.

As stated on a different thread, my solution to this situation was to purchase and to now carry the FN FiveseveN. I can accurately fire the pistol and keep it on target for follow up shots. I carry deep concealment in a shoulder cross carry configuration, utilizing a concealment T shirt. Work just fine.

I worry about the day when my affliction will not permit me to be able to carry any firearm at all. I'll just have to trust to luck then I suppose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links