Another ignorant statement (NBA Commisioner)...

This is a discussion on Another ignorant statement (NBA Commisioner)... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get a hold of this B.S. "It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another ignorant statement (NBA Commisioner)...

Another ignorant statement (NBA Commisioner)...

Get a hold of this B.S.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

2. Remove Ads

so why is it surprising that he is brain dead any of the pro sports have proved that over the years look at what these guys make to bounce a frigging basketball

Course maybe we are part of the problem as some people will watch the games and pay the prices for the tickets and crap

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    Get a hold of this B.S.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."
    The real issue is that so many NBA players are hoodrats who come straight out of crime-ridden, low-education, low-income areas, and when they get their fame and money and guns, they go right back and associate with the riffraff they knew growing up.

THAT, in conjunction with them now having guns, and probably all kinds of b.s. machismo about showing them off and demanding their "props," is most likely why they keep getting shot.

They say that you can take the hoodlum out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the hoodlum. I think that it's the perpetuation of behavior patterns that they began before they hit the NBA that end up being their undoing.

Slimjim, you beat me to this post. Just saw it on the 'net.

Stephen Jackson's irresponsible actions last month are only minimized by Stern's dumb remarks.

Another reason I don't watch NBA.

peacefulj: you are right about most of these guys being thugs.

It's one thing to have a "company" policy or a regulation about not CCW to work or to a public sports arena.

Stern's statement is just irresponsible and stupid.
    Last edited by Biloxi Bersa; October 25th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    "It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically,"
    Near five years into CCW and - wierd - no one has taken a pot shot at me yet!

Hmmm - something must be amiss!

Reminds me of an old buddy who told me - ''carrying can only get you into trouble"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I considered sending an email to the league office requesting that Commissioner Stern attempt to provide some real documentation for his statement. Just because an idea is widely accepted has no bearing whatsoever on its validity. If it did there would be no such term as "urban legend" and the snopes website would never have opened. I decided not to send the email for a couple of reasons: 1) they would not acknowledge it and even if they did it would be with a canned response. The comissioner would never see it and no research would be done. 2) Why bother no one pays attention to what the commissioner of the NBA has to say anyway. Even the NBA doesn't pay any attention to him.

I used to watch the NBA, but 10 or 12 years ago it got to the point that the officials called what they wanted to and the players could only be counted on to start fights or whine depending on the day. I just quit watching. It seems to me that the coverage of the NBA continues to decrease yearly and that it has become increasingly obscure. I don't know how the crowds are doing and to be honest do really care.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

This fella has had alot of... off... statements about quite abit of topics. This one is no suprise to me.
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I seam to remember reading that Shaq is a reserve officer in Miami, I haven't heard that he's been involved in a shooting.

So, I wonder if David Stern would still want Shaq to go out when he's working unarmed?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The real issue is that so many NBA players are hoodrats who come straight out of crime-ridden, low-education, low-income areas, and when they get their fame and money and guns, they go right back and associate with the riffraff they knew growing up.

THAT, in conjunction with them now having guns, and probably all kinds of b.s. machismo about showing them off and demanding their "props," is most likely why they keep getting shot.

They say that you can take the hoodlum out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the hoodlum. I think that it's the perpetuation of behavior patterns that they began before they hit the NBA that end up being their undoing.
    Beautifully put. I agree 100%!

I have heard it said "Life is hard but it is harder when you are stupid." I think the quote applies in this case.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

lol PJ said hoodrat, haven't heard to term in a while.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject ..."
    He's right. That is alarming. And ignorant. And typical.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Here's a truly shocking statistic for Mr. Stern:

During the 2001-2002 NBA season, a full 40 percent of NBA players had police records involving serious crimes. These ranged from armed robbery to rape.
    Want to clean up the NBA, Mr. Stern? Forget about your preaching on guns and simply ban felons from the league......

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I guess I'm spoiled by living in San Antonio. The entire Spurs organization is comprised of exemplary members of our community. No hoodlums here.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

You expect something more intellectual from a man who gets paid astronomically for telling other men how to play with balls????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links