Just finished the CCL class in Arizona - Sending my App. in tomorrow!

This is a discussion on Just finished the CCL class in Arizona - Sending my App. in tomorrow! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is a constitutional carry state, but let me tell you, after everything I've learned, if you live in the state of Arizona, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cookfromAZ
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Just finished the CCL class in Arizona - Sending my App. in tomorrow!

Just finished the CCL class in Arizona - Sending my App. in tomorrow!

I know this is a constitutional carry state, but let me tell you, after everything I've learned, if you live in the state of Arizona, especially in the Phoenix area, it is WELL worth getting a CCL. I'd suggest it to anyone.

Trainer was pretty good. Kept it interesting with stories that drove the points home. Also liked the fact that by the time I left, I had in hand everything I needed but the cashier's check and stamps to send the application in. One last thing of note, they said that the classes were jammed full. They're having to add new classes all the time at the place I am going to. This was I think, his fourth class in a week or something like that.

2. Remove Ads

Good and I agree still worth having a permit in AZ. I got mine like 6 months before they passed constitutional carry. Where did you take the class? And just a heads up it took 5 days for me to get my permit back and that's including a weekend.

GH
    It's always a good idea to have permission to legally carry concealed these days. I hope you get your soon & give you the ability to protect yourself & your family. We had to wait a long time in Wisconsin to get a concealed carry law & in November '11 we became the 49th state to finally have one. Been carrying ever since.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Good and I agree still worth having a permit in AZ. I got mine like 6 months before they passed constitutional carry. Where did you take the class? And just a heads up it took 5 days for me to get my permit back and that's including a weekend.
    Took the class at AZshootersworld.

Right now, they're saying 60 days. So many people are trying to get their permit that it's flooding classes and the system.

Now, head up the road to Gunsite and take their Defensive Pistol 250 class. It takes the lessons from the CCW class to a higher level and it's a ******* lotta fun too!! Pic is from the last day of my last 250 class.
    BugDude likes this.

Yes, the first step is to go get training in handling the gun and Gun Fighting and what to do after the event if you have to use that gun. Regular practice is also in order especially for a new gun owner. It can be challenging in these times of shortages of ammo and other things needed to make guns work.
    Good Luck in your quest in life!
    BugDude likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Congrats
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Thanks - been shooting quite a bit lately, so I'm starting to get comfortable with my weapon.

Wife is taking the next class - defensive pistol 1. It's an introductory course since she's never really handled a pistol except for the last month or so. Then she'll go get her CCL.

Once that's done, then I can start up with another class again. At this point however, I think it's more important to get my wife comfortable with shooting (meaning, get her classes to get her to my level) then to keep increasing my level thus far. That's not saying I am at all comfortable with where I'm at if something ever happened, just that I'm even far, far less comfortable with my wife's level and want to get her trained up a little first before we start dumping the cash into training for me.

My advice is to study the laws (including relevant case law) relative to firearms, carrying, use of lethal force, etc. until you know it like the back of your hand. And keep current as it changes. Also, this forum is a treasure trove of experience, knowledge, and wisdom with regard to frame of mind as much as the technical aspects.

When I completed the required safety training in the state I lived when I first got my concealed carry permit, I remember leaving after two evenings of class thinking, "That's it?" I was friends with our local DA and I e-mailed him and he sent me some great links with laws and case law. That was great, but I still thirsted for something more. Joining this forum has done more to satisfy that thirst than anything.

Training and practice gives you knowledge and ability, but wisdom is essential. That incorporates the mental and emotional intelligence. It's like my Dad told me when I was younger. Knowledge is knowing you have the right to remain silent. Wisdom is having the ability.

Good luck on your journey. It's never ending.
    JoseRomeroJr likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I absolutely concur with the OP that an AZ CCW ticket is worth the effort. The minimal time and $ investment in the class is worth it, barring a really poor instructor. The CCW grants you certain privileges not available to those without, plus a lot of states honor the AZ ticket.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Good on ya! It's good to hear that the class is full. Tells me there are a lot of people who are finally getting it that their safety is in their own hands. Get as much training as you can. Be safe.

I got my AZ CCW in the first three months the state offered them. Most notably it is good in the state where my Kids and Grandkids live.

You can go to handgunlaw.us and click on the map for AZ and pretty much anyplace that does not accept the AZ permit I pretty much decided years I ago that I had no desire to go to anyway!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Links