Medication question with concealed carry - Page 2

Medication question with concealed carry

This is a discussion on Medication question with concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have friends in law in forcement, some for federal agencies on meds for anxiety. I do not know how the meds affect your girl ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Medication question with concealed carry

I have friends in law in forcement, some for federal agencies on meds for anxiety. I do not know how the meds affect your girl friend but if she doesn't think they impair her judgement I can't imagine it even coming up.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) enforces the Federal privacy regulations commonly known as the HIPAA Privacy Rule (HIPAA). HIPAA stands for The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and requires most doctors, nurses, pharmacies, hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care providers to protect the privacy of your health information.

I worked for the Dept of Veterans Affairs 2001-09. HIPAA even curtailed what could be discussed in emails from one employee to another and to veterans, much more to what could be divulged to third parties...ANY third parties...LE or other...Federal or not. Violating the HIPAA requirements meant personally facing Federal prosecution: In other words, NO PROTECTION WHATSOEVER for Federal employees and/or healthcare workers, including health insurance employees.

Now, of course a court order by a Federal judge could override the Act for individual limited situations, but while IANAL, I do not believe state courts would have that authority. Just tell her not to sign a medical info release.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jackster; February 2nd, 2013 at 12:50 AM.

Encourage her to go & git it done!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Tell her to go for it. There is nothing wrong with getting the training. Then once she gets the permit have her go to your friend and give him a good swift kick so it will jump start his brain.

VIP Member

Medications

I have applied for a concealed carry in the fine state of Maryland . The State Trooper ask me what medications i was taking. So i have first hand account of this. Have not been issued the permit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    HIPAA laws deny that access at this point in time. It may change in the near future, but not yet. Tell her to go get it, ASAP.
    Agree!

I'd wonder how they phrase any questions about mental health. That'd be a bigger possibility to get tripped up on than meds, I'd think.

There are federal privacy laws (HIPAA) prohibiting disclosure of such information. How would anyone know what she is prescribed by her doctor ??

One word: HIPAA.
    NRA Life Member

You have received some great advice and in general I concur, however... Lexapro is a powerful drug that does affect the mental/cognitive ability of the person taking it. I would suggest to your gf that she take a hard look at the reason for her anxiety, and see if there is a healthy alternative to treating it other than drugs. Carrying a gun is a deadly serious responsibility that might add to her anxiety, and might be bad for her in the long run. Then again she may be so comforted and empowered by the ccw lifestyle, that she doesn't need the Lexapro anymore. I do apologize for being "nosy", I work in the health care field and I see how MD's today push drugs on patients even if they don't always need them. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your gf.
    ETA- After reading this I figured I should add a disclaimer. I am in no way trying to encourage anybody to stop taking their legally prescribed medications. Always talk with your primary care physician before changing any medication regimen, treatment, etc. ...

Pssssssst, the "know it all" friend is not a friend...... More a "know it all" trouble maker......... From what you state it is highly unlikely she will be denied........
    Aceoky and USM1976 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Your know it all friend knows jack dookie.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Not sure what they require in West Virginia... In Texas, they basically just want to be sure your a citizen and not a felon. I think that the LIBS will attempt to limit Conceal Licenses by trying to tie anyone with any type of emotional or mental problems . I am sure this will include returning Vets that have PTSD or even people that have Sleep Apnea. But at the moment, I would still take the test. Tell her the best thing to do is not stress over issues that have not come up. If they do just handle them ONE AT A TIME.

I sometimes take pills for anxiety. I was told to list it and why I took it on my application here in NC by the lady doing the interview at the sheriff's office. They do ask you to list any current medications. I'm about 99% positive they will contact past doctors for medical info, At least here in NC. The sheriff's office told my father his application was held up due to doctors being slow to release info. Here's a link to the application I filled out.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...jolJ_OHfbem2jA

There are 3 pages dedicated to mental health. One of which being a release form. Was it mandatory? Dunno. But I didn't care if the sheriff knew my medical info.

If this sounds like rambling I apologize. It's still early here.

Sent from my fax machine

When some people act like they know everything. The dont know didly squat. Like most said she will probably be fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links