Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl

This is a discussion on Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jdunn217 If it is not an illegal place to carry by law and only a work related policy stating no firearms, don't ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    If it is not an illegal place to carry by law and only a work related policy stating no firearms, don't take chances and carry. Concealed is concealed.
    I don't know about other places, but in my state, if it is stated in the handbook, then the gun owner has been informed. That means that you're criminally trespassing.

It just takes one "printing" or dropping your drawers in the john and thinking too much about the butt-chewing your boss just gave you (no pun intended), and forgetting about being armed before it goes "clunk" and someone sees it, or someone else seeing a bulge and their best friend, ex-boyfriend, father in law, cousin twice removed on their ex-sister in law's side, or someone else they know carries and they thus suspect it and tell a manager.

Not only would you lose your job, but there could be legal ramifications as well.

I'd think being caught carrying concealed is a greater chance than being in a situation where you can draw on a disgruntled worker, have a clear field of fire, know exactly what's behind the walls that the bullet is going to travel through if you miss, and know for a fact that no one will run across the space that your aiming through just as you pull the trigger.

But that's just me.
    Last edited by Jemsaal; February 1st, 2013 at 03:16 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    Right, but once you use it, it's not concealed. Obviously, I'd rather save myself and lose my job than to be killed or injured, but from a legal perspective, would my employer have the right to terminate me if I actually had to use it? I work in a corporate building, not a federal building or anything like that.
    While not knowing what state you live in, in 99.99% of cases, the answer is yes, they can and most likely will terminate you. While you may not have violated the laws of your state, you violated company policy and are subject to termination because of it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    Nothing to worry about. As a former employee he read the rules too. Certainly he wouldn't break them. Maybe you should ask your employer to post a no guns allowed sign to make sure he remembers.

Wanna buy a bridge? lol
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I work at a building that has multiple stories and multiple tenants. Earlier this week, a memo was posted inside of all the doors at my workplace that had a picture of a guy and to call 911 if he was spotted in the building. I called the property management to get more info. Apparently, he was recently fired and didn't take it well. According to our employee handbook, firearms are not allowed inside the workplace. Despite the fact that I have a ccw permit, if there was an incident where I had to use my firearm to protect myself or others as a result of this disgruntled employee at my workplace, I'm guessing that I'd likely be let go if there was an incident where I used my firearm.

I'm curious what others would do in this situation.
    According to Homeland Security, if he shows up with a shotgun you should grab a pair of scissors out of your desk and take the fight to him.

Jim

Is the choice get fired or die?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Depending on what you carry(size, concealabilty),I probably would.Concealed is concealed. depending on your position at the company,(desk,Manufacturing? Nature of job? bending repeatedly? possibility of shirt riding risk high? low? Life much more important than job

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I would advise you to ask what steps the building's management or the former employee's company was taking to ensure the safety of the employees and tenants. Being that they felt the threat was real enough to post the information everywhere I would want some assurances that something besides the plan to "Call the LEO's if you see this guy." was being done. If that was the only plan in place I think I would carry discreetly and not mention a word to ANYONE, not even my best work buddy. Good luck and stay safe.
    Well, according to the new homeland security video, you should fight the guy with a pair of scissors.

In addition to the comments above, I would encourage you to talk with the employer about why the rule is in the handbook, the process and procedures to change the policy, and the potential benefits to having those with CCW carrying within the building.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ask your company what steps it is taking to ensure your (and that of your coworkers) protection should this guy come back with evil intent. Make them state what their plan is in such an event. Get it on record. Put the spotlight on the company to provide reasonable protection of its employees.
    TX expat, msgt/ret and Jemsaal like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Right, but once you use it, it's not concealed. Obviously, I'd rather save myself and lose my job than to be killed or injured, but from a legal perspective, would my employer have the right to terminate me if I actually had to use it? I work in a corporate building, not a federal building or anything like that.
    Your job will be the least of your worries if you ever have to use your firearm in legal self-defense!

Since you carry a firearm for sel-defense:

1. Do you currently have an attorney on retainer or one that can be contacted in this event?
    2. Does you wife or family know who to call and what actions to take with respect to your defense and other firearms within your home?
    3. thru a 1000. Do you have a plan?

If not you better get one!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I'd rather be alive and recently fired because I chose to violate a company policy than be dead because I chose to adhere to company policy which infringes upon my ability to properly protect myself from harm.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but I didn't see it mentioned yet. What about speaking with those in power about possibly changing their policy - either permanently or temporarily, in light of recent circumstances.

Can't hurt to at least ask, right?

I would carry concealed. I would not ask them to change their policy and draw attention to myself.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I'm carrying, not telling anyone. I was looking for a job when I found this one. Of course I'd have been doing this before the flyers went up too.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Big can of bear repellant about 15% + if you see him coming...hose him good. He'll be screaming in pain-it blisters a human really good. Wasp & hornet spray in the eyes will temporarily blind someone (hospital has the antidote) and shoots about 20ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Big can of bear repellant about 15% + if you see him coming...hose him good. He'll be screaming in pain-it blisters a human really good. Wasp & hornet spray in the eyes will temporarily blind someone (hospital has the antidote) and shoots about 20ft.
    Is that you, Joe Biden?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links