Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl

This is a discussion on Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had something similar happen locally here. Guy was working a gas station and a guy came in to rob him, bg implies he has a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Had something similar happen locally here. Guy was working a gas station and a guy came in to rob him, bg implies he has a weapon and good guy pulls his. He was fired a couple days later. He made the comment on the news that he may not have the job but he has his life and would do it again.

______
    Sent from my mobile device
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

The company I work for has a "no guns" policy, but I have CC'd for over a year with no one being the wiser. My supervisor is the only one who knows, after he showed me a .38 snubbie that he keeps in backpack, I pulled up my shirt and showed him my Hi Power. He said "good idea".

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My husband is often the guy doing the firing at his job. He's been physcially threatened twice over the last couple years but thankfully they both settled down after leaving and never showed back up again. (not to mention where his office is there have been shots fired outside a couple times in the last few months) I don't know what his company policy is, nor do I care - I've encouraged him to get his permit and carry. Maybe one of these days...

I can understand not carrying at work for fear of losing your job, but I agree with others it's better to be alive and fired than hiding under a desk with a pair of scissors.
    Brad426, rugergunner and RickyD like this.

Company rules

As one who was an employee who wanted to carry on the company property, because they moved into a high crime area, and as one who was the safety manager there, I understand that companies go with what the lawyers say to do (even though I don't like it). They can make it a "fireable" offense, or one which takes a committee review to terminate. Nowdays, employers are getting sued for unjust termination, even though the employee was caught redhanded on the violation, with witnesses. So what happens, the employee is "laid off" for departmental re-organization, downsizing, etc. Less legal hassel for the company

As said above, you want to excersize your 2A rights or keep your job. No mater how well you conceal, someone will notice sooner or later. They will report it. Not only will you loose your job, but they can charge you with armed tresspassing. Either way, I would not want it on my resume.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Big can of bear repellant about 15% + if you see him coming...hose him good. He'll be screaming in pain-it blisters a human really good. Wasp & hornet spray in the eyes will temporarily blind someone (hospital has the antidote) and shoots about 20ft.
    It's a federal violation to use a pesticide in a manner it wasn't designed. People have been successfully sued by the offender it was used on. Unlike Bear Spray which is a safe food product made from Capsicum, Wasp and Hornet spray is a poison, and can have long lasting neurological effects.

Very poor advice you're offering.

I can't find the specific case at the moment. Happened in Texas or Arizona. One of the Southwestern states.

Below is part of the label statement on Spectracide Wasp and Hornet Spray Killer. All pesticides carry a similar warning.

It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent
    with its labeling. Never use indoors.

Do not water the treated area to the point of runoff.
    Do not make applications during rain.
    All outdoor applications must be limited to spot or crack-and-crevice
    treatments only, except for the following permitted uses:
    1. Treatment to soil or vegetation around structures
    2. Applications to lawns, turf and other vegetation
    All outdoor applications to impervious surfaces such as sidewalks, driveways,
    patios, porches and structural surfaces (such as windows, doors and eaves)
    are limited to spot and crack-and-crevice applications only.
    Application is prohibited directly into sewers or drains, or to any area like a
    gutter where drainage to sewers, storm drains, water bodies or aquatic habitat
    can occur. Do not allow the product to enter any drain during or after
    application.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Firearms not allowed at work, but we've been cautioned about a disgruntled fired empl

It sounds like you understand the trade-offs and only you can determine what makes sense for you.

If you carry and have to use your firearm, expect to be fired. It is just part of the price tag.

As pointed out, having to use your firearm is likely to result in other difficulties as well. Again, part of the price tag.

-john

Quite a mixed bag of comments in here. I love my job, it's my dream job, it pays very well, etc. but again, being alive and fired beats being dead. I haven't made up my mind on this -- still thinking about it.

hmmm....
    Day Planner Holster?
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    Quite a mixed bag of comments in here. I love my job, it's my dream job, it pays very well, etc. but again, being alive and fired beats being dead. I haven't made up my mind on this -- still thinking about it.

hmmm....
    Day Planner Holster?
    The Day Planner Holster is too tempting to leave somewhere unattended. Even if you leave it on your desk and go to get a cup of coffee or go to the head, leaves it open for prying eyes. Even someone who's only intention is to snoop at your schedule.

I prefer this set up for deep concealment in an office setting. Unless you play a lot of grabass in the office and people are constantly feeling you up and down, no one will ever know.

CCW Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster | Gunner Security

Or this one by Spec Gear TRUSS System.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    The company can fire you if they can document cause. In this case you know they have a "no guns" policy. If you decide to carry and are found out somehow or if you need to use it in a defensive situation, yes you are likely to be fired. However, if it's not illegal to carry (with permit), then there are no legal ramifications.
    I agree with what you said, but in addition folks should consider that most states are "at will" employers which means they can fire you for *no* reason. Yes, if they fire you "for cause" they need to be able to defend the cause, but they can also just say "bye".

I only point this out since there appears to be a common misconception that if you follow the rules you are "safe". You work there because they want you to work there. You work there because you want to work there. As soon as either of you change your mind the relationship is over.

-john

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    I work at a building that has multiple stories and multiple tenants. Earlier this week, a memo was posted inside of all the doors at my workplace that had a picture of a guy and to call 911 if he was spotted in the building. I called the property management to get more info. Apparently, he was recently fired and didn't take it well. According to our employee handbook, firearms are not allowed inside the workplace. Despite the fact that I have a ccw permit, if there was an incident where I had to use my firearm to protect myself or others as a result of this disgruntled employee at my workplace, I'm guessing that I'd likely be let go if there was an incident where I used my firearm.

I'm curious what others would do in this situation.
    Well, if I were in your shoes, I would rather be "let go" for surviving a gunfight than to be carried out for not. You decide...its your job...and life.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

get yourself a nice pair of FISKARS and aiwb holster you should be fine. LOL
    68blackbird likes this.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    My husband is often the guy doing the firing at his job. He's been physcially threatened twice over the last couple years but thankfully they both settled down after leaving and never showed back up again. (not to mention where his office is there have been shots fired outside a couple times in the last few months) I don't know what his company policy is, nor do I care - I've encouraged him to get his permit and carry. Maybe one of these days...

I can understand not carrying at work for fear of losing your job, but I agree with others it's better to be alive and fired than hiding under a desk with a pair of scissors.
    I know how you feel. I was in the same situation as your husband at one point in my life, and I carried everyday at work...just kept it on the low down.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but I didn't see it mentioned yet. What about speaking with those in power about possibly changing their policy - either permanently or temporarily, in light of recent circumstances.

Can't hurt to at least ask, right?
    Actually it can. If a company has no stance on firearms, asking invites them to adopt an unfavorable stance. If they have an unfavorable stance, you likely will fail to change their mind. In either case you will also invite scrutiny.

Almost no company is going to adopt what we might consider a favorable stance due to legal risks. The best we can hope for is a neutral stance.

In the end, much of the reason we can effectively carry concealed is nobody really is thinking about it. Once you put that thought in their head, they are going to wonder if you are carrying and they are going to try to figure it out.

If you want to be an activist, cool. But you probably need to do that while not carrying due to the increased risk of detection. If your priority is to protect yourself you are probably better off not bringing it up.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; February 2nd, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
    Bark'n, RickyD and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I would advise you to ask what steps the building's management or the former employee's company was taking to ensure the safety of the employees and tenants. Being that they felt the threat was real enough to post the information everywhere I would want some assurances that something besides the plan to "Call the LEO's if you see this guy." was being done.
    We have a comprehensive list of ineffective actions to reassure our employees.

-john

I know everyone here is talking about the job being lost, but what about legal ramifications?

In your state, if you have a gun on a property that you know is not allowed, is it considered trespassing? In most states, it is, however, the way you have to "find out" varies.

If it's trespassing, is it criminal trespassing? Is it a felony? Is it a strong enough misdemeanor that you might lose your ability to carry concealed over it? It seems to me that the likely-hood of being in a situation where you need your weapon in this kind of situation, and then would be able to use it, is much, MUCH less than the likely-hood of needing a weapon for home-defense or to protect yourself from getting mugged. Again, I don't know the laws of your state, but I'd DEFINITELY find out what I could be charged with if they found me with a weapon, whether I could lose my CCL or not, and also whether it would be enough to have the rest of my guns confiscated. States have strange laws - as do the feds.

Just found out that if anyone in the country gets a "medical marijuana" card, they immediately lose their ability to carry a weapon. Would have never put those two together. That's why I'm saying, just make sure of the consequences legally as well before making your choice.

Then, after everything else, it's your choice to make. Hope it all turns out well for ya! Oh, and if you DO decide to go concealed, I think I would use the concealed carry undershirts myself. That way, you don't have to worry about the "clunk" when you pants hit the floor in the bathroom, or when you sit down in the break room, and you just have to undo a button in a button down shirt to get it if you need it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links