Carrying on a Military Installation - Page 2

Carrying on a Military Installation

This is a discussion on Carrying on a Military Installation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live un military housing and I am allowed to store them in housing. However, I can only transport them on and off if they ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Carrying on a Military Installation

I live un military housing and I am allowed to store them in housing. However, I can only transport them on and off if they are locked in a container and separated from ammo. Obviously this is somewhat impractical for EDC. Constantly stopping and loading/unloading is a huge pain.

There have been movements afoot to prohibit any firearms on posts in a response to the suicide problem that the military is experiencing. The running thought is if you eliminate the guns, then it cuts down on the percentage of suicides that occur on post with guns.

It's really annoying when you are out running errands and decide you want to run onto base to do something- commissary or exchange run. You realize you can't go because you have your firearm with you. My primary care physician is on base. Can't carry days when I have a doctors appt.

...sure doesn't keep the murder rate down, though..at least it didn't in Ft. Hood...

Quote Originally Posted by mapman1701 View Post
    I live un military housing and I am allowed to store them in housing. However, I can only transport them on and off if they are locked in a container and separated from ammo. Obviously this is somewhat impractical for EDC. Constantly stopping and loading/unloading is a huge pain.

There have been movements afoot to prohibit any firearms on posts in a response to the suicide problem that the military is experiencing. The running thought is if you eliminate the guns, then it cuts down on the percentage of suicides that occur on post with guns.

Do you have a armory assigned to your unit? It is likely you can get permission to store it there. There were a couple guys in my company that lived in the barracks and would go hunting every now and then. They just had to check their rifles out and in. Of course you wouldn't be allowed to store ammo or anything like that in the barracks. I wasn't friends with them so I don't know every single detail. I just know that they were allowed to store their hunting rifles in the armory. Although one of them did work as an armorer for the company but I don't think that gave him any special kind of privilege. Worth looking into IMO. Is it alright if you transport your weapon in a car safe or something like that? I didn't carry back then so I don't know the rules about that. A quick call to the MP's or base HQ clerk should clear things up :)

I can only speak for camp Lejeune though. I know on base there is skeet shooting and I'm pretty sure hunting is allowed on base. Given the large combat element there is plenty of room for shooting activities there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mapman1701 View Post
    A crew chief I worked with hung himself in the basement of base housing--no gun required. Last I heard rope was still authorized on base.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nope. I know how you feel...I'm moving to Kommiefornia and will be living on base.

But unlike some, you can choose to live on/off base. There are pluses and minuses to each. One minus is no carry at home.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If you want to read through the pertinent orders and regulations for the base/fort/whatever you're at, you'll likely find that if you have an authorization letter from the Base Commander, you can carry on base. So - if you're an E-2 or something and you want to be on the naughty list, write a letter to the man in charge asking for permission to carry on base. If you're an O-5 or something you might actually get a letter. I never tried it....but it's an option.

Austin

I moved off base and never looked back.......
    slidewayz240 likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Its appalling...bases are full of combat vets (AKA: folks who know how to shoot), and they are treated like untrusted children.

Sad.

I think most need to get over it...guns aren't allowed in federal court houses, except for federal agents, so why not other federal installations. When local police enter a federal courthouse, they are disarmed.

You are lucky the post commander allows you what they do.
    Not even LEO can carry on post with out the consent of the post commander. I know a couple that found that out the hard way a few years back.
    Another price you pay serving your country. I can remember when we had to turn it over at the gate to Provost Marshall., they would check it in .
    Then when we left post we could recover it. I am sure you have heard it before than is nothing fair when you put on the uniform.

But there are a great many federal places that don't deserve the status of "sensitive places". The Social Security office? The Post Office? National Parks - the buildings on them?

The federal government is the biggest infringer of all!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I agree it is annoying to not have the ability I'm fine locking it up in the truck. They should at least allow that. But if they did you know SOMEONE will screw up and cause everyone to look bad.

To one post above it would not surprise me they are tightening the noose on us due to suicides too.

It alway makes me laugh when I was deployed I was required to carry a loaded M-4 EVERYWHERE!!! But back home guns are evil.

I understand, I work on a Army reserve center. I drive through questionable areas early in the morning "naked" because I am not allowed to cross the gate with a weapon. As far as at home Ican and will protect my loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    I think most need to get over it...guns aren't allowed in federal court houses, except for federal agents, so why not other federal installations. When local police enter a federal courthouse, they are disarmed.
    Actually, each Federal building (Federal Courthouses) I've ever been in have their own rules. In most, but not all, Federal agents like local police, have to secure their weapons just on the other side of the metal detectors, as the U.S. Marshals have the responsibility for the security of the building. Some will allow you to keep them, but most don't.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links