Carrying on a Military Installation - Page 3

Carrying on a Military Installation

This is a discussion on Carrying on a Military Installation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Military bases are gun free zones... Always has been as far back as I can recall. Yes, its ridiculous especially when one considers getting on ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Carrying on a Military Installation

Military bases are gun free zones... Always has been as far back as I can recall. Yes, its ridiculous especially when one considers getting on a C5 with a few hundred soldiers with scary weapons slung on their backs...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Lemme see here. When I was 16YO in the mid 60's I could take a 8Ft rocket loaded with solid fuel onto the base at Ft. Benning Ga, pass thru the entrance gates with my Dependent Pass and my friend who built it and take it out to the range where we would shoot it later that Saturday morning. The MP's at the gate gave use a quick look with their 1911's in their holsters with no mags in the guns and we were out to the range. I was an Army Brat that knew the Post top to bottom and knew my way around it. Later in life I went back several times including my first USPSA Range Officer training program at the Infantry School Building where we used Blue Guns. As it turns out this was the same building that I taught a portion of the Infantry School Radio Maintenance program as the youngest and only Civilian Attendee of the course as my father was an instructor for the course. I also shot a Glock Competetion course just around the corner at a range from the Infantry School Building later. I do not have an issue with taking guns onto that Military Compound. The check in station is now off to the right of Victory Drive and the base is open.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I am sure you have heard it before than is nothing fair when you put on the uniform.
    What about us civilians who work on base? I know the rule will never get changed as installation commanders dont want to have to deal with a shooting (justified or not) but we should be allowed to carry at least in our cars. Just saying, not whining.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by vatoloco View Post
    I have been a CCW holder for a couple of years now, in Florida, and I was disappointed when I found out that i would not be able to posses any time of weapon while living on a military base installation. Now I understand that military bases are federal property but I still feel like I should be able to carry a concealed weapon on base since I reside on base. What are your thoughts?
    Doesn't really matter what anyone's thoughts are on this topic...yours, mine, whoever. DOD makes the rules, and under UCMJ members are compelled to comply or risk big trouble. As you probably know, being in the armed forces is a bit different from civilian life. You do live by a different set of rules and laws, especially on a post or base. If you want to carry, get your COLA and find a place off base; that's about your only choice.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links